• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The avocado keeps me sane

Been tending to this guy amongst other plants to keep myself sane till spring gets here! Everyone should try starting an avocado tree from seed if they haven't before. It's real cool!

ibjnzr.jpg

Why did yours die? And no I have not, but it sounds like I have found my next project! Where are the seeds in a mango?? As much as I eat them and use them in smoothies I cant remember seeing seeds..

Yeah thats right.. Guess i've never really cut into the hard middle part. And actually i've been getting frozen mangos here recently so I haven't had to deal with it.. lol

How do I prepare it to plant? Do i need to open it up and get a seed out or do I just remove the tissue around it and plant the whole thing?

You have to peel the flesh off, and there is a seed inside. It's kind of like shucking oysters. So, be careful.

I'm sure if you search YouTube, you can find better descriptions of how it's done.

scratchzilla said:
You have to peel the flesh off, and there is a seed inside. It's kind of like shucking oysters. So, be careful.
I'm sure if you search YouTube, you can find better descriptions of how it's done.
Cool, thanks!

Very nice man! I just start 4 seeds there sitting in water! Cant wait till they start. I also just started some lemon seeds too! I cant wait till spring

Pepperjack91 said:
Yeah it probably won't ever fruit. You have to graft part of another tree onto it I believe. Not sure exactly how it goes
You only need to graft certain hybrids. Most of these like a Hass you should be able to grow from seed to tree and get fruit. Most people never get fruit from lack of nutrients. You must treat these like citrus trees. I have friends that never get anything from their citrus tree till I fertilized it. Then bam. Lots of flowers, and bees. If in question test the soil.

My grandfather had an avocado orchard and had beehives onsite to pollinate his trees. I learned you can't go up and smack the bee hive. I got stung, then I got stung by grandpa with a switch.

Back