• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The controversial pepper

RobStar said:
The whole story is bs. The truth is the Peppadew was selected by an agribusiness from bog standard Capsicum baccatum. The "variety" does not have a PERSONAL as it is not unique. The name is a trademark and can't be used to differentiate it by anyone other than the owner.
I know total bs,but the " founder" got someone to validate it as a new specie, and the pbr outlaws the seed and the owners said in a interview its illegal to grow . We know it as malawi piquante and you can buy seed from certain places,so i guess its a bit of a odd situation. There are many plants on pbr rights this one just intrigued me because its not native to our country. Governments and big corp is beginning to take over our seed and its happening already,one day no seed will be free.

And now with the upcoming merger of monsanto and beyer things are going to go ten times faster,and you know what the scary part is they are targeting my country and other african countries.All our staple food is already gmo,i believe we are the only country in the world actually.

All our fields are now contaminated this is what happens when a corrupt government takes deals from big corps and no laws to protect the citizens.At least i know everything about our foods to avoid the toxic stuff. People need to rise up and fight gmos and seed patenting,you can not patent nature... i mean really?! Maybe oneday another ice age will hit wiping out almost everything and humans wil have to rebuild the world and they will tell stories how once upon a time the previous age patented nature and people will laugh their ass of how bonkers that sounds. Damn i just went too far ..but it just pisses me of really bad.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Being able to protect a name just makes sense.  A person / entity puts a lot of work and money into promoting a thing, they should be able to get capture the wealth that work produces.  But wow they push the limits of common sense with products like Tabasco sauce.  Imagine trying to own the term Cayenne sauce.  I know they put a lot of work into the brand, but come on.

AJ Drew said:
Being able to protect a name just makes sense.  A person / entity puts a lot of work and money into promoting a thing, they should be able to get capture the wealth that work produces.  But wow they push the limits of common sense with products like Tabasco sauce.  Imagine trying to own the term Cayenne sauce.  I know they put a lot of work into the brand, but come on.
That's not what we are saying,like i said there is nothing wrong with owning a trademarked name. They have a plant breeders rights on a pepper,which means..no one is allowed to use the seed at all. The tree was found in his garden and he patented nature. You can not own nature.

We are already seeing how monsanto is patenting species and altering dna of species,and how a bussiness like peppadew have rights over a pepper. I dont think people grasp the scale of whats happening currently to our seeds. I know people sell the peppadew seed as its called "malawi piquante" but the reality is,if they want to go after you they can and you cant say a damn thing because they have plant breeders rights,which basically means,yeah it is my seed and my seed only.

AJ Drew said:
That's not what we are saying,like i said there is nothing wrong with owning a trademarked name. They have a plant breeders rights on a pepper,which means..no one is allowed to use the seed at all. The tree was found in his garden and he patented nature. You can not own nature.

We are already seeing how monsanto is patenting species and altering dna of species,and how a bussiness like peppadew have rights over a pepper. I dont think people grasp the scale of whats happening currently to our seeds. I know people sell the peppadew seed as its called "malawi piquante" but the reality is,if they want to go after you they can and you cant say a damn thing because they have plant breeders rights,which basically means,yeah it is my seed and my seed only.

Gonzo, oh no I do get that half of the discussion.  Was addressing the other half.  Should have added I think this is how they could have protected what they were up to.

Reading the US Constitution on the topic (no kidding) the purpose to patents is to reward inventors by letting them protect their creations.  If there is no creating going on, I dont see that patents come into play.  I completely agree.  I am also kind of down on people being awarded patents for unproven concepts.  Making it work is half the game.

Gorizza said:
Y'all probably know this but the Plant Variety Protection Act of 1970 is what set most of these PBR laws in the US. To partially answer a question asked earlier, they expire after 25 years. Do they apply globally? no idea. It seems like our industry is really pushing some of these limits...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_Variety_Protection_Act_of_1970
Every country has their own pbr's,you can get PBR in other countries if you want to protect your seed there aswell,this pepper is protected in multiple countries. 

You study GE,you should know these laws?

Afterall its the plant scientists who create "new seed" it then gets protected with patents as a intellectual property and monopolies all over the world are created.

Swartmamba said:
You can buy peppadew seeds sold as malawi piquante.
Gonzo said:
Yes everyone knows them by that name,but they are not for sale. 

Some online places might claim to sell them,but it might not be the correct one.
Is this the correct one?> Malawi Piquante Pepper

Malawi Piquante Pepper

Capsicum Baccatum

The delicious Malawi Piquante Pepper was first discovered in 1993 in South Africa. Everybody know this delicious chilli stuffed with cream cheese after it was introduced to the culinary world as Peppadew. It looks like a cross between a mini capsicum and a cherry tomato. Malawi Piquante Pepper is a Capsicum Baccatum and the plant gets to about 2 meters in a pot and is an awesome producer.`

Back