• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests The dreaded Squash Bug

This year was the first year I put out squash. All went great with it until about a month ago. In the space of a week ONE squash bug turned into a quick overrun of the buggers resulting in dead squash plants. I hit the area in and around the squash hard with DE trying to kill them. I think I actually saw one look up at me and laugh! Didn't do a think... Since them I have purchased a sprayer and Neem Oil. I followed instructions and am now on the second spray (one week apart). Just a while ago I saw one sitting right on top of my Jalapenos. I don't see them in numbers but I know this is not a pest to play around with.

Doing a search has shown that I don't have any predators that I can purchase. There is a fly and a wasp that are parasitic, but they are not around here. Jicama repell them and I would be interested in planting (anyone grown it before? Searching here gave me zip) next year. They produce a chemical you can buy called ¿Rotenone?, I'd rather control the bugs other ways first.

I do not have any other squash or cukes, but I don't want them in my peppers. What are my options for war on the Squash Bugs? A butane torch and pellet gun have been enlisted but they are time consuming to say the least.

Squash Bugs are the spawn of satan! We had a bountiful squash harvest this year, until the squash bugs got my plants that is. Another very destructive critter for melon type crops is the Squash Vine Borer. I haven't tried it yet, but I have read on another forum that pyrethrin will kill them, and allow you to harvest the same day. I have tried liquid Sevin, and I think they drink the stuff like a cold beer. Plus, with Sevin, you can't harvest most melon type crops for seven days, if I remember right.

I haven't had an issue with squash bugs harming my peppers, but they will lay eggs on the leaves. I just squish the eggs with my fingers to destroy them. My biggest nemesis is the Kudzu Bug. They have just appeared in the South East in the last couple years, and they invade by the hundreds of thousands.

I have been having good results with dusting the plants with diatomaceous earth. When the little buggers start eating a plant leaf, they ingest the fine powder and it shreds them up inside and they die. You can harvest right after dusting if you want. Just rinse it off.

It's been working well with the cucumber beetles too.

Randy

I WAS using DE, I even mixed it with a bit of powdered sugar per Potawie.... They will freak when I first put it down but they quicky calm down and laugh at me for my feeble attempts to kill them.

Yea, I am with you. After the pain I have went through this year with squash and zucchini, I am debating whether or not I am gonna plant again next season.

I WAS using DE, I even mixed it with a bit of powdered sugar per Potawie.... They will freak when I first put it down but they quicky calm down and laugh at me for my feeble attempts to kill them.

You guys in Texas must have some pretty tough Bugs. :evil:
I have been having the same type issue with the Chinese beetles. They seem to really like my Fortex beans and have most of the leaves looking like lace.

Randy

This is my third year to grow zucchini, winter squash, and pumpkins, and I have never seen this many squash bugs before. Every day, I find 6 - 12 of them on my plants, and scrap patches of eggs off the underside of the leaves. So far, I haven't lost any plants, but if I wasn't diligent about picking them off each day, I'm sure I would have lost some plants by now. When you water, they will usually start climbing up the plants to keep from drowning, so I water, than start picking and squishing. Yeah, it's gross, but I'm trying to avoid chemicals if possible.

This year was the first year I put out squash. All went great with it until about a month ago. In the space of a week ONE squash bug turned into a quick overrun of the buggers resulting in dead squash plants. I hit the area in and around the squash hard with DE trying to kill them. I think I actually saw one look up at me and laugh! Didn't do a think... Since them I have purchased a sprayer and Neem Oil. I followed instructions and am now on the second spray (one week apart). Just a while ago I saw one sitting right on top of my Jalapenos. I don't see them in numbers but I know this is not a pest to play around with.

Doing a search has shown that I don't have any predators that I can purchase. There is a fly and a wasp that are parasitic, but they are not around here. Jicama repell them and I would be interested in planting (anyone grown it before? Searching here gave me zip) next year. They produce a chemical you can buy called ¿Rotenone?, I'd rather control the bugs other ways first.

I do not have any other squash or cukes, but I don't want them in my peppers. What are my options for war on the Squash Bugs? A butane torch and pellet gun have been enlisted but they are time consuming to say the least.

Several things from what I've learned after seeing these arrive here about 5 years ago:

**Squash bugs won't bother peppers. Watch out though, because stink bugs look a lot like squash bugs and terrorize way more than the squashes.

**Neem oil mixed with wetting agent (soap) is a great "organic" way to kill them and their eggs directly sprayed. Takes about 30 minutes for them to suffocate. Works on grasshoppers also. Don't spray on leaves in direct sun, or rinse off after application.Seal/Dispose of any leaves with eggs after neeming them.

**DE will kill them if they walk through it or you dust them directly. But it's hard to apply and ineffective after watering. It would likely take a while for them to die, but I doubt there are laughing. If you see a batch of newly hatched nymphs, dust 'em and the area or neem them.

**Almost daily vigilance required. Check stems, under leaves and 'rock' the plant gently to find those hiding there. Spray with the neem mix, crush, capture, torture with a plastic bag. If you have only a few plants, manually killing them can keep them in check. Grab with a plastic bag, invert it, tie a knot. Go for another kill.

**Thin the plants. Allow more open space than usual and cut low lying leaves near base of plant. Any sign of a wilting area, blooms or small fruit going limp, that vine is prolly a goner. Pull it out, remove it carefully as you look for the killers. Use this as a thinning opportunity and check surrounding plants. Force plants to grow taller by thinning low leaves--easier to check remaining plant center.

Some of these ideas might help with stink bugs also which do affect peppers, I guess. Two pests are about the worst with not a lot of easy solutions. Mix 1/2 tsp neem oil with 1/2 tsp soap in 1 quart spray bottle and you too can be top gun.... :cool:

Back