beer The FineExampl Homebrew Project

I say rack it into the secondary this weekend (suck up some of that yeast cake during the transfer).

Also, about that gentle wobble, try not to do that b/c you might accidently airrate the beer which is a big no-no.

Aeration is an over-rated fear, but wobbling that creates bubbles is a no-no.

Anything that creates bubbles at this point is to be avoided.

*Off topic*

2 of my hop bines have reached beyond my 25 ft roof and have Hop cones the size of dimes!!!*

SumOfMyBits said:
Fine- your hydrometer is temp. sensitive. Most are calibrated to 60F, but check the info that came with your hydrometer. A sample of a different temperature will need some math. Several consistent readings at consistent temps will tell you when this brew is done. I guesstimate by watching the airlock. If it doesn't bubble for 3 mins or more I usually presume it's done.
Yeah it does say about the 60 degrees as does the Papazian book and i wanted to jot down the reading i took and figure the math later. My indoor temps are pretty consistent so i'll have to try and figure the math out later when i take the next reading in a few days.

If anyone happens to have the formula before i look it up, LMK. I'll have to get a temp reading. I figure i could use the external aquarium thermometers. they're fairly accurate for a year or so. i forgot to check the temp on the hydrometer.
I found this: http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/hydrometer.html
but i'm not sure it's what i'm looking for.

cheezydemon said:
Aeration is an over-rated fear, but wobbling that creates bubbles is a no-no.

Anything that creates bubbles at this point is to be avoided.

*Off topic*

2 of my hop bines have reached beyond my 25 ft roof and have Hop cones the size of dimes!!!*

imaguitargod said:
I say rack it into the secondary this weekend (suck up some of that yeast cake during the transfer).

Also, about that gentle wobble, try not to do that b/c you might accidently airrate the beer which is a big no-no.
About the bubbling, i'm sure i did now create any splashing. By "wobble" it was more of a turning. Ever so slight angle and turn slowwwwwly so as to hopefully rouse the yeast. I pay attention the my reading. ;)

And i was thinking of transferring either this weekend or by this coming wednesday. Even with the activity last night it's so slow in there. The airlock is only moving every few minutes.

It's hard not to try and rush things. I want to drink!

And Sum...i'd gladly barter for some of those hops come harvest. I'm sure you have plans for them though.

Payday is next Friday. If i don't have a glass carboy by that time, i'm going to pick some up. The buckets are great and work, but i will likely donate them to my brother in law. He was a great brew partner for this project.

Shopping list:
2 - 5-6gal carboy(s)
new kettle (this can wait as i have a 5gal one that worked well)
2 - rubber caps for the carboys with the 2 hose connects
2 - those glass siphoning rods
1 - new recipe for a wheat ale of some kind

It was CD with the hops:

cheezydemon said:

Awesome CD! Very jealous. What variety? I wish I could grow them here in Florida. I read somewhere that they are very sensitive to light/dark intervals so I assumed it wouldn't be feasible down here. If you have information otherwise... hook a brewer up!

SumOfMyBits said:
It was CD with the hops:

Awesome CD! Very jealous. What variety? I wish I could grow them here in Florida. I read somewhere that they are very sensitive to light/dark intervals so I assumed it wouldn't be feasible down here. If you have information otherwise... hook a brewer up!
Doh!:oops:

Stick with it, Fine. Looks like you have a good thing going!! Hope your batch turns out great!

Random Thoughts,

I have a glass fermenter, hope to pass it on to my son someday.

Wheat beers are cool, check out the Kiwit that Sum was talking about. It was surprisingly good. I'm not all into fruity beers, but the Kiwi imparted a nice tang that went well with the corriander and other spices that we added.

It's almost time to start brewing Pumpkin ales and meads for the fall. If done soon, they should be done in time for halloween!

frydad4 said:
Stick with it, Fine. Looks like you have a good thing going!! Hope your batch turns out great!

Random Thoughts,

I have a glass fermenter, hope to pass it on to my son someday.

Wheat beers are cool, check out the Kiwit that Sum was talking about. It was surprisingly good. I'm not all into fruity beers, but the Kiwi imparted a nice tang that went well with the corriander and other spices that we added.

It's almost time to start brewing Pumpkin ales and meads for the fall. If done soon, they should be done in time for halloween!
I'm real jazzed about trying this serious-like. I'm only having trouble finding empties to sanitize and rebottle. It's as if i know zero alcoholics.

Hmm...now you got me thinking about a pumpkin ale. Damn you!!

fineexampl said:
I'm real jazzed about trying this serious-like. I'm only having trouble finding empties to sanitize and rebottle. It's as if i know zero alcoholics.
If you have a fine beer bar near you they will most of the times save bottles for you (remember, removing labels is a complete chore but it'll save you a bunch of money in the long run). you local Home brew shop should have empties for sale.

fineexampl said:
Hmm...now you got me thinking about a pumpkin ale. Damn you!!
Pumpkin Ales are great, but should only be made when fresh pumpkins (you want to use Sugar Pumpkins...aka Pie Pumpkins) are available. Canned pumpkin isn't actually pumpkin but a different type of squash that is easly grown. That and canned pumpkin usually has preservitives that will inhibit the yeast.

I did a great Imperial Pumpkin ale last year (use 6 pounds of pie pumpkin in a 5 gallon recipy) that clocked in at 12.1% abv. This year, if all goes according to plan, I'm going to use my fresh;y grown Pie Pumpkins as the base and then use a 1,000 pound+ pumpkin to condition the beer until it's ready to bottle.

imaguitargod said:
If you have a fine beer bar near you they will most of the times save bottles for you (remember, removing labels is a complete chore but it'll save you a bunch of money in the long run). you local Home brew shop should have empties for sale.

Pumpkin Ales are great, but should only be made when fresh pumpkins (you want to use Sugar Pumpkins...aka Pie Pumpkins) are available. Canned pumpkin isn't actually pumpkin but a different type of squash that is easly grown. That and canned pumpkin usually has preservitives that will inhibit the yeast.

I did a great Imperial Pumpkin ale last year (use 6 pounds of pie pumpkin in a 5 gallon recipy) that clocked in at 12.1% abv. This year, if all goes according to plan, I'm going to use my fresh;y grown Pie Pumpkins as the base and then use a 1,000 pound+ pumpkin to condition the beer until it's ready to bottle.
Ahhh my friend...this is where Whole Foods comes in. The organic pumpkin they sell has zero preservatives. Just checked the can i have handy here and "ingredients: pumpkin." I used this in my pumpkin hot sauce and couldnt tell the difference between it and fresh aside from the color. However, i hear what you're saying. Fresh is always best.

Now...why not a Butternut Brew?

Hmm...found my canned figs with the pumpkin. Hmmm...FigWit? OMG. I can taste it. Now if my coriander would grow already...:shocked:

SumOfMyBits said:
It was CD with the hops:

I know there were tons of things that were supposed to keep people from growing hops in warm climates, but somehow the Aussies turn out huge crops without worries of too much Light
or vernalizing.

Both are Cascade. They are doing so well because they are second year. My first year bines are averaging 4-5 feet and NO sign of cones yet.

I did hear something about New Zealand strains doing something different. I should research growing hops all over again.

Fine - for the bottles... most Champagne bottles will cap. I like them for many reasons, but one really good one is that a 5 gallon batch will use ~25 champagne bottles as opposed to 50+ 12oz beer bottles. You could try asking a place that throws large weddings if they are willing to hold some for you. One 200+ person wedding will give you WAY more than you could handle.

...must keg.........must get equipment.........

I too love the bottle, but just the ability to adjust the carb level is so key.

Right now I have a fabulous IPA just barely undercarbed. I also have a fantastic session beer a little overcarbed....

I really need to make a trip down to Freehold to check that place out. You've got my mouth watering for a beer right now and it's only 9am. :cool:

abulldog said:
I really need to make a trip down to Freehold to check that place out. You've got my mouth watering for a beer right now and it's only 9am. :cool:
If you have some extra cash, just go in. they'll walk you through what you need. i'm going there next weekend myself.

We are now into the secondary and i bottled 2 right out of the primary just for a laugh. hydrometer is reading the same as it did last time, but the temp isn't 60 so whatever the actual reading is, i couldnt say for sure. 1.015 at 75 degrees or so it says.

I'm drinking the uncarbonated sample. the color is spot on for a trappist ale. it has a hazy caramel color. nose is a bit like prune/raisin with banana and a touch of clove. very malty with a light hop finish. has a bit of an alcohol feel to it, but nothing unpleasant. nothing. the only thing missing is carbonation, but not too much. it'd spoil the body.

the recipe calls for 3/4cup of priming sugar (dextrose/corn sugar), but i'm debating switching that to DME instead. The two i bottled, i primed in the bottle (like with the ol Mr Beer kit) with the dextrose so we'll see how those are next sunday and the following week.

input anyone?

fineexampl said:
Amen. :(
i'm praying this project is my key to buying less beer. I've moved it to investment status. we shall see.

Exactly where I'm at, I don't even want to guess how much I spend on beer a month. That would make home brewing a smart investment.

Back