The first hot pepper

I'm researching the origin of hot peppers, and it is being a daunting task.

The archeologists seem to agree that the hot pepper originated 7-8,000 years ago in South America and or the Carribean.

The first peppers were C Annum, and the first cultivated peppers were C Annum or C frutescens (there is disagreement as to whether these are even different species)

I am writing this without my research notes in front of me... But it appears as though the firt pepper may have been chiletepin. I have a list of discriptors of several (16?) peppers found in two South American caves from about 1,000 years ago. I will post these discriptors tomorrow in hopes of help possibly identifying the peppers by their modern name.

Is there anyone here who has educated opinions as to the posibility of chiletepin being the first hot pepper?
A guess as to the capsicum taken to Europe by Columbus in @1497?

Peppers
By Eric Vinje, Cosmic Chile

Christopher Columbus didn't just sail the ocean blue and discover the New World in 1492 while trying to find a short cut to the East Indies. He sampled a plant, thought it was a relative of the black pepper, and dubbed it a "pepper."

So began several hundred years of misinformation about chile peppers. Unlike what Christopher Columbus thought, they aren't related to black pepper and they didn't originate in India.

Hot chile peppers actually came from somewhere in South America. There they were known as Aji (technically there should an accent over the "I" leaning towards the right). Chile peppers, which hail from the genus Capsicum are not related to black pepper. Instead they are members of the nightshade (Solanaceae) family and are related to tomatoes and eggplant.

"Well into the 19th century, most Europeans continued to believe that peppers were native to India and the Orient, until Alphonse de Candolle, a botanist, produced convincing linguistic evidence for the South America origin of the genus Capsicum," states MSN.com's Foodies Corner.

Whether you call them aji or chile peppers, these plants were likely first cultivated as early as 5000 BC. By 1492, Native Americans had domesticated at least four species. In the West Indies, Columbus found several different capsicums cultivated by the Arawak Indians. 

Columbus might not have been right about the origins, but he did help popularize chile peppers. (A chile by any other name will be just as hot, right?) He brought back samples to the Iberian Peninsula and they quickly spread about the world. And if you think that today's hot sauce explosion is amazing, check this out. According to the Foodies Corner of MSN.com, roughly 50 years after Columbus brought home peppers, they were being cultivated on all coasts of Africa, India, Asia, China, the Middle East, the Balkans, Central Europe and Italy. Peppers spread faster than kudzu.

And although Columbus brought peppers to Spain, it was the Portugese traders who actually spread their use and cultivate, according to the Foodies Corner. Portuguese trading partners in turn spread peppers to Asia and the Arab world by the early 1500s. The Turks reportedly brought the chile pepper to Hungary in the mid-15th century.

not answering your question,just thought this is a intresting read.

It seems like asking what was the first tree.
Your research is only 100% based on human records. Even if humans recorded it, there is no actual evidence beyond that. There may have been peppers around the globe anywhere in the equatorial vicinity but unless it was written down, we can't ever know.

Good luck.

Most my research has taken me to archeological digs, not written records.
Not a whole lot of written records existed 8,00 years ago. :party:

My bet would be they have been around longer than that. Say, 400 million years?

Here's what I found on Google :rofl:

View attachment 8911
This chart is wrong tho. It says "William Scoville" created the SHU. As we all know, it was in fact Wilbur Scoville.

I believe some chiles likely originated in Africa. The problem with validating this is the same problem that exists for other things in Africa, such as art and architecture. Much early African art was created in wood or other organic materials. Unless a piece was buried (such as items placed with the deceased during funerals or as part of religious rituals), it likely disappeared due to environmental factors. Over and above weather and normal wear-and-tear, Africa has a substantial termite population; much art and architecture has disappeared because of termite damage. Another problem that existed (and still does in more remote areas) was the use of organic materials in building - houses and common buildings being built from mud, palm fronds, etc., that easily deteriorate over time. Additionally, many of the earliest languages have no evidence of being written. Because of all these factors, any statement about chiles originating (or not) in Africa would have to be guess-work, based on prevalence of more recent evidence (of some sort.) In other words, if we have evidence a particular chile is commonly used in cooking over a large area in Africa and no evidence of it existing in other areas (such as South America) before a certain time, that chile may well have originated in Africa. Unfortunately, we cannot say for sure either way.

I highly doubt they have been around 400 million years, lol. However, who is to say they haven't been around for 400 thousand years, before humans. I don't think tepin is the ancestor. I'm pretty sure the common ancestor died out.

geeme said:
I believe some chiles likely originated in Africa. 

Why do you believe this silly idea? All evidence points to South America.

It seems extremely unlikely that any Capsicums originated in Africa. I cannot say that with 100% certainty, but there is no evidence to support it at this point. 

DNA evidence suggests the divergence points of different species in terms of evolution, leading back to a supposed progenitor species. Bolivia and Brazil seem the most likely sites for that species, but it is not known at present.

I`m not sure if Halbrust wants to know about the evolution of Capsicum as a genus, or the chili as a human edible. 

Look here for an article by Paul Bosland,

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1996../V3-479.html

The Historical section is reproduced below,

Capsicum has been known since the beginning of civilization in the Western Hemisphere. It has been a part of the human diet since about 7500 BC (MacNeish 1964). It was the ancient ancestors of the native peoples who took the wild chile piquin and selected for the many various types known today. Heiser (1976) states that apparently between 5200 and 3400 BC, the Native Americans were growing chile plants. This places chiles among the oldest cultivated crops of the Americas. As opposed to most domesticated crops, the wild ancestral chiles are not looked upon as worthless or inferior by farming people who cultivate their domestic decedents. The wild Capsicum annuum var. aviculare is harvested and sold in the marketplace along side the larger-fruited domesticated chiles. Capsicum was domesticated at least five times by prehistoric peoples in different parts of South and Middle America. The five domesticated species areC. annuum L., C. baccatum L., C. chinense Jacq., C. frutescens L., and C. pubescens R. & P. (IBPGR 1983).
Chile is historically associated with the voyage of Columbus (Heiser 1976). Columbus is given credit for introducing chile to Europe, and subsequently to Africa and to Asia. On his first voyage, he encountered a plant whose fruit mimicked the pungency of the black pepper, Piper nigrum L. Columbus called it red pepper because the pods were red. The plant was not the black pepper, but a heretofore unknown plant that was later classified as CapsicumCapsicum is not related to the Piper genus. In 1493, Peter Martyr (Anghiera 1493) wrote that Columbus brought home "pepper more pungent than that from the Caucasus." Chile spread rapidly across Europe into India, China, and Japan. The new spice, unlike most of the solanums from the Western Hemisphere, was incorporated into the cuisines instantaneously. Probably for the first time, pepper was no longer a luxury spice only the rich could afford. Since its discovery by Columbus, chile has been incorporated into most of the world's cuisines. It has been commercially grown in the United States since at least 1600, when Spanish colonists planted seeds and grew chile using irrigation from the Rio Chama in northern New Mexico (DeWitt and Gerlach 1990).
Capsicum terminology is confusing. Pepper, chili, chile, chilli, aji, paprika, and Capsicum are used interchangeably for plants in the genus CapsicumCapsicum investigators use chile, pepper, or aji, as vernacular terms. Capsicum is reserved for taxonomic discussion. The word "chile" is a variation of "chil" derived from the Nahuatl (Aztec) dialect which referred to plants now known as Capsicum, whereas "aji" is a variation of "axi" from the extinct Arawak dialect of the Caribbean. This brings up the point of the correct way to spell "chile" (Domenici 1983). The "e" ending in chile is the authentic Hispanic spelling of the word, whereas English linguists have changed the e to an i. Chile pepper has come to mean pungent chile cultivars. However, chile means pepper (Capsicum) whether the fruits are pungent or not. Generally, chili is used to identify the state dish of Texas, which is a combination of pungent chile cultivars and meat (Domenici 1983). Bell pepper generally refers to non-pungent blocky chile types. Additional confusion is present within species designation, because C. annuum was sometimes called C. frutescens in the scientific literature (Heiser and Smith 1953).
geeme said:
I believe some chiles likely originated in Africa. The problem with validating this is the same problem that exists for other things in Africa, such as art and architecture. Much early African art was created in wood or other organic materials. Unless a piece was buried (such as items placed with the deceased during funerals or as part of religious rituals), it likely disappeared due to environmental factors. Over and above weather and normal wear-and-tear, Africa has a substantial termite population; much art and architecture has disappeared because of termite damage. Another problem that existed (and still does in more remote areas) was the use of organic materials in building - houses and common buildings being built from mud, palm fronds, etc., that easily deteriorate over time. Additionally, many of the earliest languages have no evidence of being written. Because of all these factors, any statement about chiles originating (or not) in Africa would have to be guess-work, based on prevalence of more recent evidence (of some sort.) In other words, if we have evidence a particular chile is commonly used in cooking over a large area in Africa and no evidence of it existing in other areas (such as South America) before a certain time, that chile may well have originated in Africa. Unfortunately, we cannot say for sure either way.
The main reason it seems unlikely that Capsicum species originated in Africa is that while the original plants would be long gone, it`s extremely likely that their DNA would not. It would show up in other species, cultivars or whatever type of pepper you looked at. To my knowledge, and correct me if I`m wrong, the chiles grown in Africa are all of the following species; C.chinense, C.frutescens, C.annuum and C.baccatum. An original African pepper would have contributed its DNA at some point, possibly by being brought over in the slave trade to the West Indies (initially). Or by the Portugese on the trip back.

If you are suggesting that a Capsicum originated in Africa, then died out before it could be mixed with anything from South America, then anything is possible, but there is not a single shred of evidence to suggest that. Humans have recognized the usefulness of Capsicums for roughly 10,000 years and have not allowed it to die out because of that. I find it hard to imagine an African pepper would have been allowed to die out. I could easily be wrong, but until new evidence is found I don`t believe any Capsicum species originated in Africa.

Nigel said:
If you are suggesting that a Capsicum originated in Africa, then died out before it could be mixed with anything from South America, then anything is possible, but there is not a single shred of evidence to suggest that. Humans have recognized the usefulness of Capsicums for roughly 10,000 years and have not allowed it to die out because of that. I find it hard to imagine an African pepper would have been allowed to die out. I could easily be wrong, but until new evidence is found I don`t believe any Capsicum species originated in Africa.

No, I am not suggesting a capsicum from Africa died out before it could be mixed with anything from South America. Consider: There are those who describe "Pangaea" - a single land mass that ultimately split into the continents largely as we know them today. While the coastlines above water are not a very good fit, if you look instead at the continental shelf, there is a fairly good fit. Additionally, some fossil evidence and similarity of geology at the coasts seems to indicate the land masses could well have been one at some time in the past. Therefore, South America and Africa would have been connected while part of Pangaea. Because of this, it is quite possible that chiles existed in both areas, with some remaining in South America and others remaining in Africa. I am saying this is a plausible possibility, especially given that so much of Africa's human history is unknown due to the losses I previously described.

sicman said:
 Christopher Columbus didn't just sail the ocean blue and discover the New World in 1492 while trying to find a short cut to the East Indies. He sampled a plant, thought it was a relative of the black pepper, and dubbed it a "pepper."
So began several hundred years of misinformation about chile peppers. Unlike what Christopher Columbus thought, they aren't related to black pepper and they didn't originate in India.

I rest my case why i always call them chillies.. ive never liked to call them peppers

geeme said:

No, I am not suggesting a capsicum from Africa died out before it could be mixed with anything from South America. Consider: There are those who describe "Pangaea" - a single land mass that ultimately split into the continents largely as we know them today. While the coastlines above water are not a very good fit, if you look instead at the continental shelf, there is a fairly good fit. Additionally, some fossil evidence and similarity of geology at the coasts seems to indicate the land masses could well have been one at some time in the past. Therefore, South America and Africa would have been connected while part of Pangaea. Because of this, it is quite possible that chiles existed in both areas, with some remaining in South America and others remaining in Africa. I am saying this is a plausible possibility, especially given that so much of Africa's human history is unknown due to the losses I previously described.

The Pangaea was a long long time ago. I doubt capsicum even existed back then. If they originated in both Africa and South America, we would see a lot of different wild species in Africa like we do in South America. We would also find other nightshades over there such as tomatoes and cucumbers. Scientific evidence also suggests nightshades originated in South America. I don't know why people want peppers to come from Africa so bad.

Pangea started to break up into continents 200 million years ago and flowering plants evolved around 160 million years ago. According to a fossil study at http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2148-13-214.pdf nightshades are at most 62 - 85 million years old.
Coffee on the other hand does come from Africa and kicks almost as much ass as chilis.

Salgar08 said:
Pangea started to break up into continents 200 million years ago and flowering plants evolved around 160 million years ago. According to a fossil study at http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2148-13-214.pdf nightshades are at most 62 - 85 million years old.
Coffee on the other hand does come from Africa and kicks almost as much ass as chilis.

I was thinking nightshades didn't exist back then either, but I didn't want to say anything I was unsure about. I didn't know even flowering plants didn't, which makes the Pangea idea even more silly.  Africa has plenty of great natural resources. I love coffee almost as much as I love chiles. 

Back