• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Fluorescent Grow Challange...

Hey all time for an update... there growing like mad, almost see them go. I will have a flower in a day or 2 but I'll be outta town for a few days again. Anyway with out further a due...
006-9.jpg

Both in their glory...
005-6.jpg

contestant #1
007-3.jpg

Contestant #2...

The others in the starter flats are half the size, but about ready to flower also. While we at the condo I hit up the ole oyster pickin hole... the wifes mom made a Rockefeller out of a few, at least her version... and just steamed some others. Luckily I had some powder Jamie gave me, so I put a lil on there to kick it up a lil... there goot.. Gonna have to get more and make a chowder to go with some pompano if the weeds would clear out...
004-10.jpg

:beer:

This is the flower after work...

60897c67.jpg

I expected to see it all the way open when I got home. Does this look normal (half opened)? Is it possible it opened up during the day and has already started dying off to make way for the pepper? Hopefully the fan (which is on a timer for an hour mid day) did its thing to help with the pollination. What are your guy's thoughts on how this looks? Thanks,

Indy :onfire:

Nice work Indy... ya must have planted your seed 1/2 hour earlier than me....
001-10.jpg

The others look the same, I'm sure tomorrow they will be open...

Thanks! Yours are looking great too! Several of us seem to be growing at about the same rate. This one (pictured above) is the only plant with an open flower, but the others arent too far behind. I have six that are all pretty close in terms of growth, and then two that are quite a bit behind. I lost the others early on due to having lights too close as seedlings and/or drying out while I was away.

Indy and SST, I'll go back and look at whether you've detailed your setups earlier in this thread, but I am about to start my 2012 season (next week), and I have never been able to sustain growth like that in just 5 weeks. I've been subscribed here awhile and am extremely interested in trying to duplicate what you've done here. Thanks to all of you for sharing. It's immensely helpful. Especially since I can get a first harvest in the spring if I get a good jump start.

This is the flower after work...

60897c67.jpg

I expected to see it all the way open when I got home. Does this look normal (half opened)? Is it possible it opened up during the day and has already started dying off to make way for the pepper? Hopefully the fan (which is on a timer for an hour mid day) did its thing to help with the pollination. What are your guy's thoughts on how this looks? Thanks,

Nice size plants for the time given.
You may want to check for eggs under the leaves...

Greg

Uh oh!? There are bumps under some of the leaves but they dont look like eggs to me.. but dont really know what Im looking for either. Ill have to try to get a pic tomorrow and do some research.

Indy

Heres my most recent update.... Not the best growth..had an aphid issue...cleared it up but they stunted the plants just a bit...not to mention they have been moved around from T8's to T5's and back again...lol...but im happy with the growth..these varieties grow a bit slower :) Lost a few to the aphids...a few manzano ...

IMAG0050.jpg

the bumps on the leaves just may be edema...maybe...

It looks like you are getting pollen production your first flower...but...don't be disappointed if the flower drops...it has been my experience that the very first flowers produce sterile pollen...hope it is fertile for you...

AJ, I think you may be right. Does edema in peppers look like this? ...

730e880d.jpg

Doesn't really resemble any type of eggs i've ever seen. I googled it and found out it could be caused by over watering and that might be what is going on here. I'm using a coarse soil that drains very well so if i don't water frequently they dry out quick and leaves start curling. I'm still trying to find a good schedule to water them on, but they seem to be growing well in the meantime regardless of what i do. I wonder if being in a net pot (or air pot) might be contributing to this issue. I read edema can be caused by plants "taking up more water than they can use".. well, if the roots are being air pruned there might be more of a root structure than normal to absorb all the water when it's available? Just a thought that seems to make sense. Maybe for air pruning a soil mix that holds more moisture is preferable so watering once a day or every other day isn't required and water can be absorbed at a slower rate. Come to think of it I do have one in a regular pot and it's leaves are completely normal underneath. That plant is also much smaller and has the yellow center that some of SS's plants had (not sure what is causing that). After this picture any other insight or advice? Glad you chimed in, I was kinda worried when I heard "eggs" mentioned. Thanks in advance..

.. if the leaves look like this, that means the pepper is going to be :mouthonfire: right? lol

yup...edema

no way to tell the heat until it produces fruit

Nice peppers guys. It's amazing how much of a difference in growth I've gotten over the 7 days they've been under the 85W CFL vs the 2 32W T8's. The two peppers I took close ups of were identical in terms of growth a week ago. The one under the CFL has completely taken off. I'll definitely get another one of those lights to make my grow box for next years crop.

IMG_7364.jpg

IMG_7365.jpg

IMG_7367.jpg

IMG_7368.jpg

if you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for the 85W CFL, what color temperature is it, and how many lumens does it put out?

AJ- I got it on Amazon with free shipping for $16.95. It's manufactured by Square Perfect. The color temp on it is 5500K and it puts out 4250 Lumens.

I was just trying to see the comparison between the 42 watt CFLs and the 85s...

42 watt 2700K CFLs put out 2850 lumens - cost ~$13...geez they have gone up in price...I think I paid a lot less than that when I bought mine at home depot...,
http://www.expresslightbulbs.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=682_8_115_567_594&products_id=1612

the 42 watt 6500K puts out 2800 lumens and cost $13
http://www.expresslightbulbs.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1609&cPath=0_597#googlebase

85 watt CFL - 250 lumens per dollar of 5500K

42 watt CFL - 254 lumens per dollar of 2700K or 6500K....

almost a wash between the two...cool...just thinking out loud here...

Back