• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The Friday thread... tgif

grantmichaels said:

still (here) ...

just ordered some tobiko, sweet chili smoked yellow-tail, teriyaki smoked escolar, and primarily a couple of pounds of fresh group for friday, though ...

checkin' out some fish (i haven't traditionally liked fish) ...
escolar? isn't that the fish that causes you to shit your pants uncontrollably?  :P

"NOTE: Escolar has an extremely high oil content, which results in its succulent flavor and texture. However, this may also lead to gastrointestinal problems for some people. Because of its buttery goodness, escolar is best enjoyed in small portions. We recommend eating no more than 4-6 oz at a time."

for an appetizer he's going to take a couple of imodium  :P   

Escolar's wax ester content can cause keriorrhea (Greek: flow of wax), gempylotoxism or gempylid fish poisoning.[4] Symptoms range from stomach cramps to rapid loose bowel movements, occurring 30 minutes to 36 hours following consumption.[5] This condition may also be referred to as steatorrhea.
Two known ways to reduce the likelihood of escolar-induced keriorrhea are to limit portions to six ounces or less[6] and to consume portions close to the tail, which typically have a lower wax ester content. Reports conflict on whether deep skinning, freezing or grilling will reduce the likelihood of keriorrhea.

all of that sounds great^^  I would pass on the escolar personally but let us know how it is. I remembered it because a friend who lives in boston had some of it once at a sushi place. They called it white tuna, he shat like a crazy mofo  :P  but he ate a lot of it

TGIF from the Jersey Shore! Having some dinner with my two girls. Enjoy the weekend.

image.jpg

Back