• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Frost Cometh

Hi,

So my plants did better then last year but not great. I had alot of late growers and was recently getting nice amounts of ripe fruit. Especially in the last month or so.

But it has gotten cold up here. The night before last I spent the wee hours of the night digging up a couple of plants and bringing them inside along with some of my potted plants.

Last night it was official though. The temp hit about 32F and this morning the rest of the plants got hit hard.

There is still alot of unripe fruit on some of them. What is my best option for salvaging the left overs?

Should I just pick all the remaining pods and freeze them for use in cooking? Should I throw them all in paper bags with Bananas to ripen before I freeze?

What are my options?

thanks,
jj

I use mine in tuna, sandwiches and cooking any kind of dish. Just not in a hot sauce where most people want the color to match. You wouldn't really want to make green Bhut Jolokia hot sauce. Freezing them works too if you have the space.

bigt said:
I use mine in tuna, sandwiches and cooking any kind of dish. Just not in a hot sauce where most people want the color to match. You wouldn't really want to make green Bhut Jolokia hot sauce. Freezing them works too if you have the space.

I just picked all the remaining orange habs and red devil's tongue peppers that were left on the plants before pulling them.
I was kinda thinking of making a green sauce.
:oops:

There's always some recipes where you don't want to change the color with dried red peppers, and green usually have less flavor and sweetness so they work well for just adding heat without changing much taste.
Green sauces can be good too, just different

Hey JJ did you get snow yesterday as well ? we did in CT and damn cold this a.m. s'posed to be kinda of a crappy weekend as well .. Better clean my chimney soon!

LUCKYDOG said:
Hey JJ did you get snow yesterday as well ? we did in CT and damn cold this a.m. s'posed to be kinda of a crappy weekend as well .. Better clean my chimney soon!

Not yesterday but I woke up this morning to a mini-blizzard.

Glad I cleared out the garden last night.

My season is officially over :(

Now, on to planning next season :hell:

Back