• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Great "Evidence for Topping (or not)" Thread

Never having (intentionally) topped a plant, is there a preferred growth stage or size that is recommended?

This year I only have two each of several varieties, and one each of several more. So, probably not able to participate.

However, if this could continue into next year, I could to do perhaps six of one variety, all seeds from the same pod, and top three while leaving the other three natural.

To be honest, we haven't laid out an exact method.
I typically think of topping as removing the plant above the first "Y", once it forms.
Makes me think that the topped section might also be a good candidate for cloning...

I put in 8 pepperoncini and 6 anteps.

I chopped off half of each and planted them side by side on dirt day.

I will be putting up results and pics as things progress.

As an update, I've just (today) planted out 5 each of black pearl and Red Dominican Habanero.  Not an even split, I know, but it's what I had cups for.  LOL
It's an afterthought, but just wanted to at least make a token participation this round. (plus I love black pearls pickled, and Red Dom Habs for everything)

I know a lot of the people who advocate for topping comment on the initial burst of growth. Those opposed mention that a plant only has so much energy to give and topping isn't "creating" more energy for the plant.
Something to consider I think is the life of the plant for 2-3 years thereafter for the most accurate results. Every post for or against always seems to be a plant during the same season. I'll admit I could have just missed it. Honestly not commenting for either side just making an observation of something I think should be considered.

gmen16 said:
I know a lot of the people who advocate for topping comment on the initial burst of growth. Those opposed mention that a plant only has so much energy to give and topping isn't "creating" more energy for the plant.
Something to consider I think is the life of the plant for 2-3 years thereafter for the most accurate results. Every post for or against always seems to be a plant during the same season. I'll admit I could have just missed it. Honestly not commenting for either side just making an observation of something I think should be considered.
I'm definitely no expert (this is my second year of growing and I didn't top last year), but I have a reaper right now untopped that I trimmed down and overwintered. It probably had two feet of straight stalk from roots to canopy with no side shoots until the top.
Fast forward to a few weeks after I put it out and I noticed a couple leaves poking out. Now it has two impressively thick side shoots forming their own shoots. I didn't put it out until last month and it was fairly heavily trimmed, so I expect it to bush out a good bit. Definitely has more potential than last year. I don't think it would've gotten as tall with topping.

Isn't there a video about an unpruned Dorset Naga that turned into basically a hedge because of year-round growing?

`
I'm in. Found 6 Bonnie plants at Home Depot that were the same size & healthy looking. 3 topped/3 not topped.

`
DHQJxVz.jpg

`

QniL0nq.jpg

`

XXHx7E7.jpg

`

`
pF3g06W.jpg

`

IVqeI9j.jpg

`

OHsOk3d.jpg

`

A9OIOkO.jpg

`

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
I'm in. Found 6 Bonnie plants at Home Depot that were the same size & healthy looking. 3 topped/3 not topped.

Awesome.  Good choice of plants, good sample size.

Nice job.  Will be watching that one with interest.  I've got 4 plants, also, that I thought I might do this with.  But as of this week, work might have something else to say about that.  Mine might have to wait until the fall, or next season.

That's an awesome glog on topping vs not. This year, I planted out an entire bed with a single variety: Yella Scotch Bonnets. If I do the same kind of monocultural thing next year (whether it's Bonnets again or something else), I'd like to try the topped vs not topped thing....

Back