• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

So mid last year, I gave a couple packs of seeds to my girlfriends parents in Fiji. I gave them a pack of 7pot SR strain, and a pack of Douglah's. Both from Semilla's.
They simply threw them all in straight in the ground...and this is what grew. I cant comment if it came from the SR or the Douglah as they just planted all the seeds straight in the ground and that's all that grew.

When I was there last Christmas, it was just a seedling (purple looking). The girlfriend was over there a couple of weeks ago so I asked her to snap some pictures of the weird plant for me..and here they are..not the greatest pics but anyway.
Ill be over there for Christmas / New years so ill see about getting some seeds.

Pods go purple to red. (the plant was purple when younger) Looks like only one pod/flower per node so I suspect its a inter-species hybrid.

IMG_2568_zpskjpk97ni.jpg

IMG_2566_zpsdxajbyql.jpg

IMG_2565_zpspnm349yk.jpg

I was looking at the weather averages for NZ. Looks like you guys pretty much can start putting plants outside right about now? Sound about right?
Good season to you all!

Chewi said:
I was looking at the weather averages for NZ. Looks like you guys pretty much can start putting plants outside right about now? Sound about right?
Good season to you all!
yep should be able to start plants outside now in most places :)
I did start these wee ones inside but they are outside in the ground now
IMG_2623_zpsmd7kfq9g.jpg

Yep hopefully. We have quite a long growing season here, and its relatively easy to keep plants alive over winter, so I have a few that are promising.

Those are about my smallest plants so the bigger ones should be decent by the time it cools down

Chewi said:
Good season to you all!
 Mine are outside now. Dismantled the greenhouses this weekend. If they survive the aphids and psyllids it should be a good season.

Rush35 said:
 Mine are outside now. Dismantled the greenhouses this weekend. If they survive the aphids and psyllids it should be a good season.

Should be sweet with a little bit (a lot of) of chemical warfare lol.
Iv already seen both aphids and psyllids in my grow this year! Plants got their first spray of confidor the other day

I haven't been on this forum in a couple of years at least!
Awesome to see a Kiwi chilli thread :)
Growing some seeds again after a couple of years off - didn't know it was illegal to bring the seeds in but it would appear that I got lucky care of THSC.
Got some Douglahs, THSC Neil S scorps, BSRs, Jonahs, Fatalis, Bongos, Purple Pumpkins, Bird's Eyes, Aji Lemon, Brazilian Starfish and maybe one other one.
They germinated quite quickly compared to previous years and have been hardening them off for a week or so.
Douglahs, Fatalis, Bongos and Bird's are up to their second sets..
I always, always leave it too late.
:(

SentencedToBurn said:
Who wants to buy one of these and try it out?

Swampy, this might work primo for one of your massive pots: http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=899/ID=22056/SID=278385545/productdetails.html?utm_source=Playtech+List&utm_campaign=c79dd132d0-10_Mega_Tech_Deals_1_7_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_da7aaf28b5-c79dd132d0-257039641

I hope they start doing these for hydro as well, would be awesome to be able to monitor all this remotely.
Looks gimicky to me but might work ok in hydro  :)

Just a few random photo's...
im finally starting to get a few peppers after a really bad start with pests and disease..im still battling pests etc but at least im finally getting some reward..

HP22B - (from Ed)..decent sized plant but its only just starting to set pods after dropping many flowers..
image_zpsnsgtqpvc.jpeg

the junglee mircha is going ok..just gave them a solid hit of ferts the other day so new growth should green up a bit. (these are the same plants pictured as little sprouts few posts above)
image_zpszasnmgsv.jpeg

closeup of junglee mircha and tomatoes growing happly together in a big mess  ;)
image_zpsqidvj9no.jpeg

farmers jalapeno... :drooling:  picked my first one yesterday..have yet to give it a try.
image_zpsrllausda.jpeg

a fairly scary looking reaper here..
image_zpsxfmpgc9s.jpeg

reaper plant #2
image_zpsndwlvgkt.jpeg

and lastly a small pick of peppers...obviously not a haul by any means, but I just thought the colours & diversity was quite nice..a couple of aji verde (i like these so far), farmers jalapeno, a few pubes and a dorset naga..
image_zpslwk0vlhv.jpeg

Pretty much every seed I sewed from nzchilli grew so I've got a few good plants in pots but.. I left it a bit late in the season so I'm not sure if I'll get any pods this year :/
I do have a wildfire chilli and an unknown type with heaps of pods tho (ill post pics when I get back home).
Also it looks like a move to dunedin might be on the cards so I don't know how growing down there will go!

Tofu, how late are we talking?
I left them a bit late, too but things may come around.
Everything has produced pods/baby pods except for a rather stubborn Brazilian starfish that is a fucking MONSTER for a bucket sized pot with buds that just don't want to break and the same goes for a Neil S.
Everything else is doing rather well - they just needed to be out and in about a month to 6 weeks before they were. (They were out as about 3-5 inch seedlings in their forever pots just after Christmas. :/

Mine are all in pots and range from about 20-40cm in height.. A couple are starting to flower but really do need to be re potted. 10L buckets would be perfect.

Back