• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

heat The heat, the whole heat and nothing but the heat ...

Made another batch of the old stand by hot sauce today.  This is pure Satan's ass crack on earth hell sauce.  No tomatoes, no carrots, no onions, no water - Peppers, Salt, Garlic, Vinegar - Done!!!   I have called this stuff Moruga Mama Lava, Ludicrous Lava, and lots of other things over the past few years.  It depends on what label I feel like putting on it.  It's hot - crazy hot.  I am on a mission to make the hottest sauce I can without using extracts.  In a few weeks, I will have tons of Moruga Scorpions and will make a straight Moruga sauce without diluting it with the Moruga yellows or Douglahs (I know it seems strange to say that a Moruga Yellow or a Douglah dilutes the heat of a sauce.)

Here is how I make it.

Start with about this many peppers.  For the record, those are Moruga Scorpions, Moruga Yellows, 7 Pot Burgandy and Douglahs

photo6.jpg

Cut them in half and put them in a pot with 1.5 tsp of pickling salt and 1 TBSP of chopped garlic - Cover with vinegar. (I leave placenta, seeds, everything - it all goes into the pot)

photo5.jpg

Bring vinegar to a boil and boil peppers for 15 minutes.

photo4.jpg

Transfer everything to a food processor and let it run on high for 5 minutes until its very smooth.

photo3.jpg

I use a turkey baster to transfer the sauce into 5 oz. woozy jars.  I found it's easier than a funnel and that less gets spilled.  The sauce looks lumpy because I took the processor lid off after a few minutes to test its smoothness.  I ran the processor for a few more minutes after this and it smoothed out nicely.  You can tell in the picture of the bottles below.

photo2.jpg

I process the filled jars in boiling water for 10 minutes (up to the bottom of the plastic top) and then invert them for 10 minutes to sterilize the inside of the lid.  I don't have a picture of that step.

Print Labels
KCCO_SAUCE.jpg

Attach labels:

photo1.jpg

Attach warning labels:

photo7.jpg

The sauce made 6.5 bottles.  It was a small batch but when the peppers are ripe, what else are you going to do?

"I process the filled jars in boiling water for 10 minutes (up to the bottom of the plastic top) and then invert them for 10 minutes to sterilize the inside of the lid.  I don't have a picture of that step."

Could you explain this part a bit please?  I am assuming lids are on at the time of water bathing them?  What does inverting them mean?

I put the jars into boiling water for 10 minutes. I do not completely submerge them but put th in water just up to the bottom of the lid. This hears up the sauce and kills any nasties that may be lurking. When they are done, I take them out of the water and place them upside down to let the now hot "hot sauce" in come into contact with the inside of the lid. This sterilizes the inside of the lid.

You notice that it's all done outside.  When I made this stuff inside (once and only once), the steam made it hard to breath in the house.  Even my dogs were coughing and begging to be let out.  The wife said, Hell no - never again are you making that crap in this house.  I get some serious Hunan hand when I make it and even outside you need to hold your breath when you lean over to stir the pot.

FYI:  Best thing I have found for the Hunan hand is bleach.

Browning said:
"I process the filled jars in boiling water for 10 minutes (up to the bottom of the plastic top) and then invert them for 10 minutes to sterilize the inside of the lid.  I don't have a picture of that step."

Could you explain this part a bit please?  I am assuming lids are on at the time of water bathing them?  What does inverting them mean?
Here you go. The most popular thread on THP hands down. you all will get alot out of it...

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29501-making-hot-sauce-101/?p=597186

Back