• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Hell yeah, I would crush that pizza Jay. As long as therenot TOO much Kimchi, but it doesn't look like it. It looks well balanced.

Listen to me, who the heck do I think I am talking like that, Guy Fietti? Guy Ferrerri? Guy Feterri?

You know who I mean.

images.jpg

Ashen said:
Love the topping choices, although I have a love/hate thing with pepperoni. Even if it is the good stuff I want it at the edge if being burnt and all crispy. Limp pepperoni is kinda nasty.

Especially when they are paper thin and limp, I like it thicker with a crisp edge but it can still have chew, unless those thin cheap ones to save $ lol.

You can also dice your own pepperoni, tastes great diced on a pie in fact. Like bacon bits.

What's worked for me is baking the dough just until firm, pulling, putting the toppings and stuff on and then returning to heat. Otherwise they don't bake right at the lower temps. At least that's what has worked for me. Especially when using something oily like pesto. Otherwise center gets all soggy. 

pre-baking the crust is nice, I guess depending on how thick it is. I have mine out ready to be baked in an hour, will put the cheese on once its baked so not over cooked. Have Spinach in their with fresh tomatoes on top, that should prevent them from burning lol.

Salami & Basil Pizza

Cooked this pie in late November(In the Blackstone), but completely forgot to post it.

Once it was out of the cooker, I added some fresh basil:

Salami%20%20Basil%20Pizza%20Resized%201%202_zpsjnggqher.jpg

Salami%20%20Basil%20Pizza%20Resized%201%203_zpsnndflsbl.jpg

Sliced:

Salami%20%20Basil%20Pizza%20Resized%201%204_zpsduteh7wi.jpg

Couple of slices on a plate:

Salami%20%20Basil%20Pizza%20Resized%201%201_zpsohs1b91r.jpg

For the last year or so, I've been going with a 50/50 ratio of sliced provolone and grated mozzarella. The provolone gives it a fuller flavor, has a nice "pull" and browns quite nicely.

It was mighty tasty!

Moose said:
Salami & Basil Pizza

Cooked this pie in late November(In the Blackstone), but completely forgot to post it.

Once it was out of the cooker, I added some fresh basil:

Salami%20%20Basil%20Pizza%20Resized%201%202_zpsjnggqher.jpg

Salami%20%20Basil%20Pizza%20Resized%201%203_zpsnndflsbl.jpg

Sliced:

Salami%20%20Basil%20Pizza%20Resized%201%204_zpsduteh7wi.jpg

Couple of slices on a plate:

Salami%20%20Basil%20Pizza%20Resized%201%201_zpsohs1b91r.jpg

For the last year or so, I've been going with a 50/50 ratio of sliced provolone and grated mozzarella. The provolone gives it a fuller flavor, has a nice "pull" and browns quite nicely.

It was mighty tasty!

Got dang worth a quote.

On the Blackstone Pizza Oven?

We need pics of that and that pizza on it.

We want to see the sweet Virgin Mary of God's image on it too.

Its a tough crowd here.

I know.

But we just love pizza.

D3monic said:
What's worked for me is baking the dough just until firm, pulling, putting the toppings and stuff on and then returning to heat. Otherwise they don't bake right at the lower temps. At least that's what has worked for me. Especially when using something oily like pesto. Otherwise center gets all soggy. 

Do you preheat the stone?

For oven pies usually 8 minutes is the sweet spot for me. If it is soggy, could be too much sauce or dough needs to be stretched thinner.

Haven't made a pie in forever.

Back