• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Had this lastnight. Sauce is ranch and sriracha. All ingredients except the ham went through the slicing blade on the mixer bot. Red onion, red pepper, provole, sweet potato (boiled until just cooked) and then shredded some triple smoked ham. All ingredients mixed together in a bowl with EVO and balsamic vinegar. Not in this pic, but dressed with more oil, balsamic and torn basil. Sweet and acid balance spot on. Should have waited a bit longer for the oven temp to reach max though.
P1131299_zps8eba7a49.jpg

I am not going to rip on the Longos because I just used a premade crust a page ago, but damn bro, you gotta sautee those mushrooms a little first!

Extra points for the LDHS and Joyners powder though. I love me a Hawaiian pizza. Was going to say that earlier, Aussie pie sounds like Hawaiian, but with eggs.

I woulda been a hypocrite to call you out on the crust. And I really didn't rake you for the mushrooms, more of a suggestion for next time.

And don't use canned, they become mushy and waterlogged. I disagree with J, they don't need to be sauteed, I like a good shroom pie with fresh ones. Good match for pepperoni.

Burnt my arm a beauty of the pizza oven last night. Got to stop mixing booze and oven.

No pics from last night, but making some more tonight

You guys are losing your touch. I figured I'd get raked through the coals for my crust. Not my toppings. :)

No you just jumped in to soon. Can't multi quote on mobile.

:rofl:

Scovie told me I was too hard on you for canned shrooms. Well here's the story. There's a place in NY called Sal & Carmine. They have been voted best slice a few times, I believe. And they are worthy. It's awesome. Anyway, I used to get slices and pies there, cheese, or toppings, whatev, but they use canned mushrooms that ruin their perfect pie. A reviewer even mentioned it once. Those mushy things on a slice voted best of NY? So yeah, I do have something against them, sorry :P. The fresh cut are so much better. But carry on with your pie postings please!

I want a pizza.......

Hell last night was the grand opening of a new Little Caesars about 5mins away, Should've gotten some of that! Maybe tomorrow :) I love their crazy bread!!! YUM!

Scovie told me I was too hard on you for canned shrooms. Well here's the story. There's a place in NY called Sal & Carmine. They have been voted best slice a few times, I believe. And they are worthy. It's awesome. Anyway, I used to get slices and pies there, cheese, or toppings, whatev, but they use canned mushrooms that ruin their perfect pie. A reviewer even mentioned it once. Those mushy things on a slice voted best of NY? So yeah, I do have something against them, sorry :P. The fresh cut are so much better. But carry on with your pie postings please!

Thanks boss, sometimes it's hard to do what we would like to do with all the young 'ins. We do the best we can to pacify the kids while still maintaining an edible meal for adults. Sometimes $, and more importantly, time constraints limit what we can do. We greatly appreciate the input, as we always strive to make the most delicious and nutritious meal for an entire family with young children, not just an individual. Thank you for having such an awesome site that allows for everyone to show off what is within their means.

Margherita Pizza last night. Bout another 12 pizzas done, but before to take pics, too much whickey and fireball

SDC11870.JPG

Meat, Meat and Meat. Sauce, cheese, layer some salami, ham and proscuitto, top with red onion and cheese

SDC11877.JPG

SDC11879.JPG

SDC11880.JPG

Prawns, Mussels and Jalapenos. Sriracha Base, Sauce, cheese, prawns and mussels, top with jalapenos and cheese

SDC11882.JPG

SDC11883.JPG

SDC11884.JPG

Haha yeah was tasty, going to definitely start incorporating More Seafood and pies.

Also did 1.5kg of huge tiger prawns in the WFO, bloody unreal

The pizza looks awesome! But it's kinda strange it's not cut into slices. Is that an American thing?

I learned a lot about how to make pizza from a Sicilian chef who owned a restaurant in the US. It took years before he was willing to cut his pizza into slices, and still he was not pleased.

Back