• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Send me your address and Grant too. I'll try to send you some sauces this week.

NM I have yours!

The Hot Pepper said:
Send me your address and Grant too. I'll try to send you some sauces this week.

NM I have yours!

I used something JHP sent ... I guess it could be considered a sauce ... but it's more like pourable pepper jelly (which I do like) ... no vinegar note on top, like most bottled hot sauce ...

It was like a gritty (Asian) sweet n' sour sauce ...

Actually, I can't wait to have the rest in a little while ...

Nice rusticity here!

Essegi said:
An experiment and i hope this is my last pizza on normal oven...
I used emmer wheat, 500g, (italian type of hulled wheat that was the base of roman legions food) mixed with whole wheat, 200g, just because i needed to reach 700g flour. With 600g water (85% hydro), a bit of evo, salt and yeast as needed, 21hours of frigde + 3 outside.
I saw that flour used by some really highly skilled guys, at least spelt. Bonci too uses it, maybe someone of you has heard of him. It should be more digestible, have less fat and satiate more.

Margherita, half with anchovies:
iIQnRHDvytvdB.jpg

ib84hgqU90jCf.jpg

icBLUZBd1NMon.jpg

The day i'll have cavities like that in all pizza i'll be happy.

That one with tomato, garlic, scallots, oregano, douglah flakes. Evo after cooking:
i9WrMGGgQa4Ga.jpg

iP8ck8riP3av1.jpg

That is better cold and seems that douglah aroma is quite perceivable (i think it had a peak just before cooling down, really nice).

I really liked that dough and was faily executed. It's different than normal wheat but not worse.
Also i've found on my nearest market some farro (hulled wheat) quite inexpensive (still it costs twice than regular flour) so i must try again.

a few pie shots...

Neapolitan style pizza.. 65% hydration..Pizzeria Flour..2.8% Salt..1.5% Dough Culture...270 g dough ball
  Bufala Mozzarella..grated Vantaggio D' Oro whole milk cheese..milled San Marzanos.

Fresh Mozzarella..crushed San Marzanos..uncured Pepperoni 

Bufala  Mozzarella..sauteed  Spinach..  squeezed San Marzanos..grated Parm..Calabrian Oil..Sea Salt

Sheet pan pizza....grated Grande whole milk Mozzarella and Provolone cheeses..Pepperoni..sliced Green Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, Jalapeno and Cherry Peppers, grated Parm ..dried Basil and Oregano.

Cheesy  Jalapeno...

French Blue and Taleggio cheeses.. sliced Honey Crisp Apple..Red Rocoto Pepper..Applewood Peppered Bacon..Maple Syprup

grate some Parm and wheel away...

sweet, smokey with a bit of tang...

next time around some Chicago tavern style pies..

PIC 1 said:
a few pie shots...

Neapolitan style pizza.. 65% hydration..Pizzeria Flour..2.8% Salt..1.5% Dough Culture...270 g dough ball
  Bufala Mozzarella..grated Vantaggio D' Oro whole milk cheese..milled San Marzanos.

Fresh Mozzarella..crushed San Marzanos..uncured Pepperoni 

Bufala  Mozzarella..sauteed  Spinach..  squeezed San Marzanos..grated Parm..Calabrian Oil..Sea Salt

Sheet pan pizza....grated Grande whole milk Mozzarella and Provolone cheeses..Pepperoni..sliced Green Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, Jalapeno and Cherry Peppers, grated Parm ..dried Basil and Oregano.

Cheesy  Jalapeno...

French Blue and Taleggio cheeses.. sliced Honey Crisp Apple..Red Rocoto Pepper..Applewood Peppered Bacon..Maple Syprup

grate some Parm and wheel away...

sweet, smokey with a bit of tang...

next time around some Chicago tavern style pies..

Gro0oneeeee.gif

kS8lu0b.jpg

K8w9tsQ.jpg

6pkNSPg.jpg

7vUqHJP.jpg

uexF6Mn.jpg

iHbbBoR.jpg

Tomorrow i see if i am able to use well that beast (not that i have much time...).
And that just to get depressed since sunday i'm going to Saporè wich i considered maybe the top "Pizza Gourmet" artisan (wich is not classic pizza, a different thing much more expensive though i'm not gonna pay crazy prices that time).

cypresshill1973 said:
I like this oven, it seems strong construction. Is better than the Ferrari?
Thanks! It's really strong, it's 22kg. Ferrari was 5,4, absolutely not comparable to Ferrari. Also it's suitable for pan of 40*30cm, it barely fits but still fits. Someone is able to do that and without mods if i remember well:
http://laconfraternitadellapizza.forumfree.it/?t=65993065
I admit that those pizzas aren't average by any means and absolutely astonishing.

Seems that times have some issues (probably i'm not going to use it but i must investigate).
Btw pyrometer measured with some consistency temps aroung 930F with a spike over 950! With Ferrari i got over 720 but not much more.
But the nice thing are independent resistance and higher mass so when i put a pizza in i don't cut temps of 100°C.

The only issue that i know is refractory stone that isn't much thick so lower resistance is difficult to use at max, many people say to buy one thicker (it's not expensive, just maybe not the easiest thing to get).

A thicker stone not think necessary. Just take longer to heat Heat delivers the heater when turned on. Then the stone does not need to retain the heat for a long time

Seems that times have some issues

I not understanding this... You say that decomposes over ttime?

cypresshill1973 said:
A thicker stone not think necessary. Just take longer to heat Heat delivers the heater when turned on. Then the stone does not need to retain the heat for a long time

I not understanding this... You say that decomposes over ttime?
I writed wrong, i meant timer.
Users found that with a thicker stone they were able to cook with max lower resistance. With deafult using max it's easy to burn bottom and requires more turning (and it's bad since you need to open the oven for that). Tomorrow probably i'll use max on top and 300°C out of 450 on bottom for the first.

Back