• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Something simple to tide us over until Essegi posts something epic again.

102_0047.JPG

102_0048.JPG

102_0049.JPG

Like the way mozz (or that white cheese) is cooked!

JayT said:
Something simple to tide us over until Essegi learns enough to post something epic.
Fixed. I've spent that 350€ for an oven (price on a special sale on an already agreement price and luckily i live near enough to producer to avoid shipment). That has  2 independent resistances  low (850w) and high (1600w) and each reaches 450°C. The only known issue is that refractory stone is not very thick so it needs care to cook bottom (for example not using at max low resistance) but it's great as it is and thicker stones are purchasable around (of course with a bigger heating time). Just 1 pizza per time (35*41 cm area, like a normal oven but much lower), but it's pro quality. Aside specs i've seen some photos of some pizzas that are awesome.That will be required for pizza napoletana and good for trays (trays doesn't require hell temperatures, but seems that something higher than a regular oven is still better)... I hope to have it before March.

In the meantime i've tried the blue iron tray and it's really better than non stick (that was also unhealthy). Pizza is crunchier and not harder, bottom darker (it was too white before), airiness more regular.
Here's a photo of margherita+moruga (it's also on the glog so link only):
http://i.minus.com/iq4gXtuuz5F86.jpg
Maybe photo doens't tell but airiness is better, especially considering i made a really bad job at stretching (really, high hydro dough is really difficult to transfer on the tray, at least for me).

Sounded amazing when I ordered , execution leaves something to be desired. Saddest looking spinach I ever seen on a pizza. 

firey crust
Salami, mush and olives on one side 
spinach, salami, Peruvian cherry peppers on the other 
Balsamic drizzle. 

Hope it tastes better than it looks. 

Thank god it tastes better than it looks. Peruvian cherry peppers are pretty sweet. 

Great page of pies to scroll through!

robbie, the rustic naan pizza is WIN! Perfectly round from the use of naan but bubbling with haphazard goodness! Love it! Like a perfectly framed Jackson Pollock!

An experiment and i hope this is my last pizza on normal oven...
I used emmer wheat, 500g, (italian type of hulled wheat that was the base of roman legions food) mixed with whole wheat, 200g, just because i needed to reach 700g flour. With 600g water (85% hydro), a bit of evo, salt and yeast as needed, 21hours of frigde + 3 outside.
I saw that flour used by some really highly skilled guys, at least spelt. Bonci too uses it, maybe someone of you has heard of him. It should be more digestible, have less fat and satiate more.

Margherita, half with anchovies:
iIQnRHDvytvdB.jpg

ib84hgqU90jCf.jpg

icBLUZBd1NMon.jpg

The day i'll have cavities like that in all pizza i'll be happy.

That one with tomato, garlic, scallots, oregano, douglah flakes. Evo after cooking:
i9WrMGGgQa4Ga.jpg

iP8ck8riP3av1.jpg

That is better cold and seems that douglah aroma is quite perceivable (i think it had a peak just before cooling down, really nice).

I really liked that dough and was faily executed. It's different than normal wheat but not worse.
Also i've found on my nearest market some farro (hulled wheat) quite inexpensive (still it costs twice than regular flour) so i must try again.

I have no idea why the first three pics are so yellow.  I took them in the same setting as the last two.  Dammit!

I think the white in the plate changed the auto color thingy.  Whatevs.  The pizza is bangin'.  I was gonna put habs on it, but the kids might be eating some leftovers so I am playing pick-a-sauce for the slices I am eating right now.

Back