• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Naan is amazing, but if you're looking for best example, get it fresh from an Indian restaurant. Tandoor ovens are mind blowing, and watching it being made is cool as all hell.

VirgilCane said:
Butter crust

Beer and butter crust

Vas is zis? Got a receipt for either?

Sorry for OT but... I've really eaten a good pizza. Great in some regards.
That could even be the best pizzeria of my city and they are honest in prices too.

Q4QSItZ.jpg

Meh i picked a pic of a slice but i deleted it for error...
Margherita + (prosciutto crudo and burrata after cooking).
Not today but last time i noticed 2 mins of cooking time.

That's true Napoli style and imho it's the best. In the middle it's not tick. But emphasis is on dough as it should be on pizza.
That's not perfect since maybe dough is remotely elastic (barely noticeable) [SIZE=13.63636302948px]and i expected it more airy,[/SIZE] for sure it's great on taste and better of other pizzerie around here, and by a league. Crust is a bit spotted and that's good.
Toppings, out of scale... I don't know if that prosciutto was excellent or not and it was quite thick, it was probably the best prosciutto ever i had on pizza (in pic is a bit dark, real color was better). Amazing taste. Mozz awesome and probably mozz is the topping i want of highest quality. Tomato was good. Burrata... Good but maybe not better than a good mozz, but amazing with prosciutto.

Overall pizza was in some ways gentle and strong.
Yeah, that's so good and i wasn't even hungry at all since i already ate my pizza...
To think that probably is only average in Napoli....

I'd enjoy a backyard, indigenous limestone, personal pizza crematory.

Meanwhile, the po' folks are gettin' by on garlic-rubbed wheat, Oregon white cheddar (extra-sharp), and Reaper bruschetta topping.  Not bad.

swellcat said:
I'd enjoy a backyard, indigenous limestone, personal pizza crematory.

Meanwhile, the po' folks are gettin' by on garlic-rubbed wheat, Oregon white cheddar (extra-sharp), and Reaper bruschetta topping.  Not bad.
We've got a great line on limestone here in Winnipeg, MB.  There's an insane amount of it available.  Is that's what's preferred for a pizza oven?

. . . limestone . . .  There's an insane amount of it available.  Is that's what's preferred for a pizza oven?

I don't know.  The home-forge/refractory guys warn of heated, expanding moisture turning non-firebrick masonry into shrapnel.  Whether that's an issue at oven temps or with limestone, I don't know; I mentioned limestone just because it underlies the alkaline, black clay where I live, an area which is said to have been a shallow sea 110 million years back.  Piles of white rock accumulate at every construction site, and cool fossil imprints can be seen of, for example, shellfish that might've weighed 20 pounds. 

2ebwqoh.jpg

s5brqp.jpg

The material is abundant and often free for the effort of hauling.

PIC 1 said:

"00" ......Squished garden San Marzanos...fresh Motz....drizzle of Olive Oil

Baked in the BGE ..650 F....5 minutes..............added Prociutto and Purple Basil

Jesus Crust......................is that Holy............ :D

First off, that's a great looking pizza.  The BGE or another Kamado style grill would be a great way to make pizza.  Do you have a steel or something you place in it, or is there a flat portion you're able to slide the pizza onto?

Question: Why two different pizza peels?  

Also, do you use flour to get the dough off of the peel, and if so do you run into issues with it?

samcanadian said:

First off, that's a great looking pizza.  The BGE or another Kamado style grill would be a great way to make pizza.  Do you have a steel or something you place in it, or is there a flat portion you're able to slide the pizza onto?

Question: Why two different pizza peels?  

Also, do you use flour to get the dough off of the peel, and if so do you run into issues with it?

Thanks man....The ceramic style grills do a decent job outdoors when you can get the temp above 700F......and not lift the dome too often.
The majority of heat still comes from below and is no comparison to the brick oven where the source comes from the sides and above...and the floor. 
An outdoor stone oven is on my list of things to have.........someday

I don't have a steel but do have an assortment of screens, pans...and a couple of 3/4" stones which I use on the BGE. The pizza stone gets preheated indoors on my oven floor at 550F for about 1/2 hr while the BGE is getting fired up. I use a plate setter in the Egg to raise the stone up and even with the dome opening......otherwise it would be difficult to remove the pie.........without some spillage.......lol

The reason for 2 peels ?.....nice catch.
The aluminum peel is thin and smooth and doesn't require much flour, corn meal or semolina...whichever used to deploy / reploy a pie from the oven. As you can see the wooden one has had alot of use. Had it for years and could use a good sanding to smooth it out. The problem with using this freeform with no screen or pan is the tapered front. It's pretty easy to manuver the pies, but sometimes flour or cornmeal slides onto the oven floor. I pretty much use the wooden peel with screens and pans....but mostly for cutting the pies. 

As far as using  a pizza stone in the indoor oven, I've made some pretty good pies by preheating the stone right on the oven floor at 550 F for 1hr then moving the stone to the highest rack with the convection fan running. That works out well when doing numerous pies as the stone stays hot and the oven heat circulates in the small area up top.

The reason I ask is because I have the same aluminum peel and I'm nervous about sliding a pizza onto my steel with anything but a piece of parchment underneath.  It's a drag having to pull the parchment out a few minutes into the cook to get the crispiness factor though.  

How much flour/corn meal are we talking here? Like, I don't want to taste loads of cornmeal on the bottom of my pizza when I eat it, you know?  I don't mind a little extra flour however.

Back