• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Nice pizzas Essegi!!

I've been meaning to try to the "Flying Disc" or "Volcano Pizza", must remember too next time.

Booma said:
Nice pizzas Essegi!!

I've been meaning to try to the "Flying Disc" or "Volcano Pizza", must remember too next time.
I wait for that! I too was somewhat plannig trying to do Vulcano pizza sooner or later...

Penny said:
After seeing all these great looking pizza's.....now I'm hungry for one and its only 9:30 in the morning!! ;)

Pizza is really a miracle food.

Cold or hot, breakfast, lunch, supper, or at 3 a.m., it tastes gooder than most any 'thang else.

Yo tengo hambre ahora!

OMG is that linguica? Not red like pepperoni more of a genoa color but skinny so guessing it is the wonderful Brazilian linguica! That and just cheese sounds rustic and delish.

Ok, something different... With black beer...

iwpJ30YVB70m6.jpg

Simply: Guinnes instead water.
More or less: 300+ g flour, <1/2 yeast beer cube, 10g salt, 40cc evo oil, 170 cc Guinness.

i1KSzsKSBlMqZ.jpg

iC88jht8vmyzM.jpg

Then after 3:30 h:

ix0nWeN3v1dXP.jpg

Not a good rise but i had not much time so i flattened all and left alone for a good half an hour:

idSQMVMKd2ZsS.jpg

Before cooking:

iSSMl0NQGhcTi.jpg

Round: potato, ham, mozzarella, tomato, champignons
Other: margherita (with some more mozz than other half) and as round + anchovies.
Potato just cause i needed o use it...

In cooking:

iC0WUgrpkV9qn.jpg

After cooking:

iTvhQwCLsovRC.jpg

ibjwQJWCog39Ay.jpg

I don't know if it was the beer or the high quantity of evo oil... I took more to cook. Round one definetly undercooked.

Other nice cooking:

iRuZdPp1DtGrR.jpg

Very interesting idea from my uncle, i should retry with more time, less toppings, a ticker base and maybe less oil.
Btw you feel there's something different and it's good!

Essi I'm not crazy about potato's on pizza but there ain't a pizza I've seen you post that I wouldn't eat the hell out of.

And pizza dough is very forgiving.

Even when its not so perfect, its still pretty dang good.

I like to be liking your style and all your Italian recipes and pics are very refreshing to me.

You are a THP gem!

My first ever homemade pizza dough.  We've been doing the store bought crusts and custom making our own for years and I just started making my own sauce from canned San Marzano's.  The awesome pizzas in this thread gave me push I needed to try it out.  

The dough was made by Booma's recipe and it turned out amazing.  Thanks Booma!

This one was the Wife's, I don't do black olives.

This one is mine.  It has Moruga Scorpion puree spiked Sriracha on top of the sauce and jalapeños for heat.  I think I was going for a round pizza, but Wild Turkey and my first attempt at hand tossing a pizza put a stop to that.  

Dang Count!

That looks goodern' hell to me senor.

Maybe coulda' been a little more crisp on the crust for my like to be liking but I'd pie hole that pronto!

The colors in the pics are poppin'!

We need more Texans to rock pizza up in here.

And I'm coveting that avocado colored KA.

The Hot Pepper said:
Is that magic cheese? It disappeared! :P
It is freshly shredded from a block of grand padano and it sure did seem to disappear.  Not sure if I didn't use enough or it was shredded to finely.  I usually use the pre grated version of it, but the store was out of it.  What cheese you can see in the finished version is mozzarella from a ball, close as you can get to actual fresh here.
texas blues said:
Dang Count!

That looks goodern' hell to me senor.

Maybe coulda' been a little more crisp on the crust for my like to be liking but I'd pie hole that pronto!

The colors in the pics are poppin'!

We need more Texans to rock pizza up in here.

And I'm coveting that avocado colored KA.
Thanks.  I used parchment paper so the bottom didn't get as crisp as I'd like either.  I used my pizza stone as usual, heated up for about 1.5-2 hrs with the oven on high (550) and then did a really quick 30-45 seconds with the broiler on.  And the Kitchenaid was an early Christmas gift from my wife and this batch of pizza dough was the first thing I made with it.  She thought it would look good sitting near my vintage harvest orange Tupperware on the counter :P

The Count said:
It is freshly shredded from a block of grand padano and it sure did seem to disappear.  Not sure if I didn't use enough or it was shredded to finely.  I usually use the pre grated version of it, but the store was out of it.  What cheese you can see in the finished version is mozzarella from a ball, close as you can get to actual fresh here.
Thanks.  I used parchment paper so the bottom didn't get as crisp as I'd like either.  I used my pizza stone as usual, heated up for about 1.5-2 hrs with the oven on high (550) and then did a really quick 30-45 seconds with the broiler on.  And the Kitchenaid was an early Christmas gift from my wife and this batch of pizza dough was the first thing I made with it.  She thought it would look good sitting near my vintage harvest orange Tupperware on the counter :P

Still looks guud! Great job.

Booma's crust recipe rocks, in pics anyway.

Looking good count, cheers for the feedback, definitely my favourite dough recipe so far, but am always trying different ideas out.

You can see that you did get some small air bubbles throughout your crust, i think the main difference is the heat i cook at, being a Wood Fired Oven, the temp is crazy high, pizzas only take 90 seconds or so to cook, i think the quickest so far was just under 60 seconds.

texas blues said:
Essi I'm not crazy about potato's on pizza but there ain't a pizza I've seen you post that I wouldn't eat the hell out of.

And pizza dough is very forgiving.

Even when its not so perfect, its still pretty dang good.

I like to be liking your style and all your Italian recipes and pics are very refreshing to me.

You are a THP gem!
Thanks TB! In the same way i see here lot of things that i'm not used and it's very very interesting!
I used potato, boiled, only because i had it ready to use (a leftover from lunch), then i said why not? In general i don't use it too.
Now i'm thinking to use red wine for dough, maybe precooking a bit...

The Count said:
My first ever homemade pizza dough.
This is ubelievable! Wonderful pizza!

Booma said:
pizzas only take 90 seconds or so to cook, i think the quickest so far was just under 60 seconds.
That's fast!

Back