• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

There are some great recipes out there on the net using yeast from brewing beer to make pizza.  I guess it kind of works the same way.  Not sure about the wine though Essigi.  I would think the tanins would make it weird.

JayT said:
There are some great recipes out there on the net using yeast from brewing beer to make pizza.  I guess it kind of works the same way.  Not sure about the wine though Essigi.  I would think the tanins would make it weird.
Still not this time, but sooner or later i want to make a full wine pizza.

Btw i used a non standard ingredient for dough: 2 tablespoons of Maraschino. The rest half durum wheat half flour (500g in total), yeast, water, evo oil, some salt, a bit of sugar.

First rise:
iraYmRdmR55Fj.gif

Took 3-4 hours more or less.

Second rise:
im7DbNKx2knAt.gif

2 hour of that kind of rising.

Main ingredients:
ibrASMM7orX2sE.jpg

From lef to right: gorgonzola, maasdam, mozzarella, half sheep marzolino, half sheep ricotta.
And speck of course.
Not used all gorgonzola, it's nearly 2 lb of cheese.

My pizza:
i6ZIhoRmwmCC2.jpg

Speck after cooking. Some calabrese pepper powder.

idVJx6DZ7s7kC.jpg

Cooked quite long, but well:

iWP8LE1zbfF48.jpg

i9tXywn9qviK6.jpg

Other pizza:
half margherita
ibzHQaFMbCNt3F.jpg

ifbRxxMAZcdhm.jpg

Half as mine, minus pepper plus anchovies and capers.

Some nice usage of borders:
iRvmDx8OPBAjF.jpg

Gorgeous looking pizzas Essi!

I love gorgonzola and my mouth was watering digging on the pics.

And the speck looks cellophane paper thin fantasticle!

Thanks.
And i suspected that thp would appreciate speck!:D

texas blues said:
Gorgeous looking pizzas Essi!

I love gorgonzola and my mouth was watering digging on the pics.

And the speck looks cellophane paper thin fantasticle!
Yeah, i'd say too thinner is better. And speck + gorgonzola is good! :D

CD that looks chingon to me.

The taco sauce is throwin' me a little off though.

Got any details on the dough?

Recipe or method?

Chilidude said:
Here is my pizza i just made: fresh jalapeno, pineapple, taco sauce, mozzarella cheese, onion and Italian salami.
I just want that jalapeno rounds, if only stores here sold them...
Good looking pizza and nice ingredients btw!

texas blues said:
CD that looks chingon to me.

The taco sauce is throwin' me a little off though.

Got any details on the dough?

Recipe or method?

I used a pizza flour that i bought. It contains durum wheat flour, wheat flour, yeast bread flour, sugar and salt.

Just added 15gr of dry yeast to a 2 dl of warm water, about 1/2 dl of olive oil and 4 dl of the pizza flour. Raised the pizza dough for a 15 minutes. Taco sauce goes first on top of the pizza, then mozzarella cheese and then the rest of the toppings.

Oven is heated to 482 degrees Fahrenheit and the pizza is baked for about 15 minutes.

Nice.

I get it now with the taco sauce.

Adds a little Tex-Mex mojofication.

I like to be liking it.

And I also like to be liking pineapple on pizza any time!

It looks good but I don't know what taco sauce is. The "sauce" I use on a taco is hot sauce an it varies.

I see you're in Finland. Do you guys have a sauce just for tacos?

The Hot Pepper said:
It looks good but I don't know what taco sauce is. The "sauce" I use on a taco is hot sauce an it varies.

I see you're in Finland. Do you guys have a sauce just for tacos?

We have quite a few different taco sauces to choose from. I used Old el paso medium taco sauce in my pizza. Local pizzeria makes a damn good Mexicana pizza and they use some kind of mexican style sauce in it.

Ohhhhh tomato-based sauce with chili powder... got it. Makes sense there! Yeah, "taco sauce," the stuff you use when making American hard shell tacos. I forgot about that stuff.

Just another thing. And yes, that's pizza! Naples recipe! Panuozzo napoletano! I had posted some pics of that in a previous post... Just wanted to do that. Even here it's not so famous... There's the mother of a friend of mine wich is from Naples and a couple of pizzerie do that, otherwise i wouldn't know that...
Any pizza dough should do.
That time i made way many too dough.

More or less following a recipe on the net:

500g wheat
170 manitoba wheat
400cc water
1 full cube of yeast (25g)
20g salt

1st rise, nearly 2h:
iKmYJwpVPSkvO.gif

2nd rise, nearly 2h:

ibYUnim8SWkqU.gif

Cooked for 20 mins at 250°C (another recipe said 30 mins 180°C).

ibov4RsHt1CzvK.gif

I've cooked in top position the one on right for 10 mins, then exchanged. Result: left one is a bit too flat on the middle. Used only right, left is good as standalone bread. Men, i didn't think i had so much stuff... I was counting of the fact that i had been able to put all in 1 floor...

Cut in half:
ibykn30V6NskMb.jpg

Toppings!
ixcnswXVQ0jGK.jpg

Spinach, mozz, provolone, mushrooms, pepperoni

i8o8aOSSA7P2e.jpg

I exchanged top with bottom, since top was darker.

iLqcZ58SrJqjJ.jpg

Cooked at 200-250°C until ready!

i1YQS9O0tZps0.jpg

Seems a little burnt, but it isn't. Cooked very well!

i1JZbtnP3Z6l8.jpg

iQdVEp9mzVMTx.jpg

Not bad at all!

Back