• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The mother of all cramps.

Last season I did 20 or so tests with fresh pods, mostly superhots, a few superhots sauces, and made a few creations of my own. I have not been testing much with fresh pods this year as I am focusing on growing. Near the end of last season I started getting a little cramping. The last fresh pod I ate gave me bad cramps and vomiting. A few days ago me and my bud were goofing off and both ate a dried douglah left over from last year. While laying in the floor recovering from the mouth burn, I rolled onto my side and all hell broke loose. I had to run to the bathroom and barf and soon found myself in the floor. Sweating and shaking from the most ungodly cramps. At one point the pain was so intense I was holding onto consciousness, light headed, short of breath, my entire body tingling, and everything fading to black from the pain in my stomach. The pain in my gut had peaked and started to die down. I recovered within 45 minutes. I am honestly afraid to eat another superhot. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am not a veteran but I have eaten my share of hot. Could I just have to be done with superhots?

take it easy my friend...  why not go one small part at a time...

with other food that helps.

dont play your health with a pepper... and dont try a reaper youll will see what is a cramp!

I have had the exact same thing.

You feel like you are going to faint or pass out or something. No position makes it better. You roll on another side then you have a NEW spot of pain in your stomach. It's like a hot coal or red hot metal. Cold pillows and towels wont help. Milk wont help. Water wont help. Food wont help because you cant eat at all, it's actually impossible. You are sitting on the toilet naked but with your pants still hanging off one leg because you couldn't focus on taking them off all the way. Then your on the bed. Then the floor. Then kneeling by the wall. Then on the toilet again. While sweating and shaking uncontrollably you tell people "just don't talk to me right now, PLEASE go away..." All sense of time goes away. The pain subsides for a minute, then comes back even stronger than before. Weird sounds come out of your mouth...

...Then after an what seems like an eternity, you feel okay and can't even really remember exactly what it felt like.

-Yeah, I've been there.

I have supers rotting in the fridge from fear of it happening again.

Make sure to have a full stomach before you eat them. An empty stomach is usually why it happens in the first place.

Yes! The Cornish Naga made me sweat and slightly shake. I had bad cramps for 1 hr straight! The Reaper was even worse, nearly 3 hrs of cramps! I couldn't puke it back up either! I will only eat 1/2 of a pod now, not whole any more. Stomach prepping really helps! Eat a full meal 45 min to an hr before you eat the pod, then drink a shake or eat a spotted banana (more potassium) lots of peanut butter and yugurt, then I drink some pepto or maylox

That's what douglahs do best haha, the worst cramp I encountered was with a fresh moruga, but wasn't as bad as you were describing. My wife refuses to eat any pepper I grow after I pleaded with her and eventually convinced her to eat an Indian assam bhut with me ;) needless to say what followed for her was pain!

I had similar effects after eating a bhut jolokia, but I ate it with food, and the cramps didn't start until several hours later... turns out it was a kidney stone. I only mention it because the symptoms sound exactly the same. I honestly thought the whole event was because of the pepper, it took about 6 hours of symptoms to convince me I should go to the emergency room.

May have an underlining medical condition or allergic reaction.

Green bells, zero heat and I love them, do the same to me if fresh.
Saute them a bit, and no problem at all for me, just fresh and crunchy does it every time.
Fetal position on the floor, unable to move, sweat pouring out of every pore.

Only super to do similar was after eating 1 1/2 fresh off the vine reapers.
On crackers.
With spread.

Only a little cramping on the top end, but once it hit the lower GI----oh buddy.

As a preventative, I eat something hot at least once a day----usually at every meal---and when tasting peppers by themselves, only a quarter of a decent pod.
Supers, that is.
Up to a hab type scoville level, raw, stuffed,fried,pickled whole pods aren't a problem.

Remember----nature designed hot peppers so mammals wouldn't eat them.
And by Darwin, a few mammals just can't resist pulling a lions tail to see what happens. :party:

Sounds great... Can't wait to harvest my peppers and get cooking and eating them lol.... I love it... Crazy f errs

I hadn't considered it until Gotrox mentioned it, but fresh Green bell peppers do it to me too. It is almost immediate so I haven't probably haven't ever eaten enough of one to put me on the floor, cooked green bells I can eat without much issue as well.

Yes. I thought I was going to die the first time I ate a trinidad scorpion. Killer cramps, puking, etc. Then after puking my face started burning. I swear once it started subsiding I was almost tripping & colors looked too bright.

I'll leave the eating whole superhots to other people, Fataliis are about the hottest thing I'll eat these days. I still grow supers but I learned my lesson about eating them straight. 

PepperDaddler said:
I have had the exact same thing.

You feel like you are going to faint or pass out or something. No position makes it better. You roll on another side then you have a NEW spot of pain in your stomach. It's like a hot coal or red hot metal. Cold pillows and towels wont help. Milk wont help. Water wont help. Food wont help because you cant eat at all, it's actually impossible. You are sitting on the toilet naked but with your pants still hanging off one leg because you couldn't focus on taking them off all the way. Then your on the bed. Then the floor. Then kneeling by the wall. Then on the toilet again. While sweating and shaking uncontrollably you tell people "just don't talk to me right now, PLEASE go away..." All sense of time goes away. The pain subsides for a minute, then comes back even stronger than before. Weird sounds come out of your mouth...

...Then after an what seems like an eternity, you feel okay and can't even really remember exactly what it felt like.

-Yeah, I've been there.

I have supers rotting in the fridge from fear of it happening again.

Make sure to have a full stomach before you eat them. An empty stomach is usually why it happens in the first place.
Yea, Some of those details were also in my story. I chose to leave out the part of stripping my clothes off and dry heaving so hard I thought I was going to shit so I sat on the toilet half naked with company over and the door open.

Really not fun at all, those stomach cramps. For me it is related very closely to the amount of heat, i.e. capsaicin. I can eat up to and including Yellow 7-pots with no issues at all. After that, I need to prepare my stomach. I developed a shake-type thing that works well for me. 30 minutes before and occasionally 30 minutes after, as well. Some peppers wreck my stomach more than their heat level might suggest and like Jon, the Reaper did a big number on my stomach. The shake stopped the cramps, but I had extreme nausea for about 15-20 minutes right after eating it, then I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach for about 4 hours. For some reason, Naga Morich do a number on my stomach, too. But not Bhuts. Go figure. 

I actually had kidney stones about 5 or 6 years ago and it was miserable. And painful, with lots of nausea. I can only talk about myself, but the feeling was very, very different to super hot-induced cramps. 

theghostpepperstore said:
I hadn't considered it until Gotrox mentioned it, but fresh Green bell peppers do it to me too. It is almost immediate so I haven't probably haven't ever eaten enough of one to put me on the floor, cooked green bells I can eat without much issue as well.
It's a PITA.
They are my favorite pepper too.
I have to make do with yellow and red bells which have little to no adverse effects.
Must be sensitive to the color green. :shh:
As for the reapers, they didn't bother me---except for the fire in my mouth and sweat running everywhere--till AFTER they left my stomach.
No cramps or other adverse effects while digesting in the primary gut.
Once it hit the intestine about 45 minutes after eating however, like a python strangling a puppy in there.
Lets just say it took longer to reach the intestines than it took to leave them. :fireball:
(Tame The Scovies)
"half naked with company over and the door open."

Pix or it didn't happen!!!.
hehehehe

Ok, now I am starting to have anxiety just looking at super hot pics on the forum. All just from this thread. But will I still try one someday. YEPPERS.  :dance:
Sorry to hear bout your pain though. Especially with company over.

Tinben said:
Ok, now I am starting to have anxiety just looking at super hot pics on the forum. All just from this thread. But will I still try one someday. YEPPERS.  :dance:
Sorry to hear bout your pain though. Especially with company over.
Build up to it. Everyone has to develop a tolerance. My first one was actually 2 Bhut Jolokias. I cannot begin to tell you how much I freaked out. And then I got oil in my eye. Freaked out x10, thought about the emergency room, blindness, etc etc etc. Rode it out for an hour, then went out to dinner. Bad idea. 

There are tons of fantastic peppers you can eat to develop your tolerance. More so now than ever before. At least that way, you know what you are getting into when you eat a Superhot. Most of all, just have fun. 
Buy a sfrb in the ads with medium-hot peppers and a range of heat and flavors. 

I'm no medical expert but I have heard of people with gal bladder problems not being able to stomach spicy foods. I'd be very cautious eating another super hot with reactions like that!

Tinben said:
I have been on some chocolate habs so far. Building up slowly but surely. 
Just a little more every day.
Don't have to try munching a whole Bhut or Naga----unless you are into that kind of thing.
Slice one up real thin and add to something.

+1 on buying a box of mixed from a member.

Did wayyyyy too much of that last year, trying to determine which ones I liked best.
Don't even remember how many SFRB's I bought, but enjoyed almost every single pepper.

Still have 1/2 a monster Brain Strain dried and frozen, kept for a special occasion from a box I bought last fall.

It's the only way to test your tolerance, build it up, and find which flavors you like best to add to the grow list.

I still have a little powder left of a dozen or so types I purchased to refresh my memory, when needed. What I didn't eat in short order became powder for later use, or a few choice pods got frozen whole.

A little Flat rate box sounds expensive, but hot peppers go a long way.

I did basically the same thing Grotox. I bought several SFRBs last year. I ate several varieties of Buhts, 7 pots, nagas, Scotch Bonnet, Aji, Fatalii. The list goes on. The last pod I ate last season was a yellow brain strain. It honestly was not that hot but I cramped pretty bad and vomited. I have continued to eat spicy with sauces and powders and such. The douglah was the first superhot I have eaten this year and it destroyed me.

Update: I went to a pepper palace store in Nashville and tried some Moruga sauces and an aweful extract sauce that gave me moderate cramps. Cramping up while walking through opry mills mall and then driving on the interstate is not a fun experience. Especially since my wife was ready to bitch at me any given second for eating it.

Back