• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The next Grow Down?

I'd like to offer my current hybrid wild Chiltepin / Reaper cross in its F3 condition as an interesting candidate.  The plant seen here is now 6 1/2 months old and 8' 4" tall.  The short one beside it was topped several times.  Very prolific and currently setting thousands of pods that start verticle then turn down and ripen about 1" long.  Is certainly a super hot and still has the Chiltepins way of little lasting burn.  Makes great hot sauces.  Does best in partial shade.

SF0SqDy.jpg

Pods...

5lDmCQR.jpg

Wow, it looks like the plant actually likes the insane Aridzona heat!?
I second your suggestion!  :)

Care to trade seeds?  I've got a fair selection, including several baccatum that have done well this year.

8'4" certainly is impressive for a pepper plant, but I'd be leery of distributing f3 seeds for a competition like a growdown. I think the phenotypic variability would still be too high to allow competitors to all have a fair chance at growing a tall plant. 
     If we all had seed and resources to start at least a dozen plants and pick the tallest one, then maybe. But I only had room to grow two contenders for this year's growdown. I think hoping for one of two f3 seeds to be a contender would be a craps shoot. 
     Really nice plant, btw! Reaper x wild tepin is going to be a fun variety to stabilize.

Understand your concerns and they are valid.  These have all grown pretty true and I plan on stabilizing at this point and no longer crossing.  I think its a great pepper just how it is.  Could mix many hundred seeds and distribute like 20 to each person, germ them all and pick your best choices?  Just a thought but fine by me either way.

Nuclieye said:
I'd like to offer my current hybrid wild Chiltepin / Reaper cross in its F3 condition as an interesting candidate.  The plant seen here is now 6 1/2 months old and 8' 4" tall.  The short one beside it was topped several times.  Very prolific and currently setting thousands of pods that start verticle then turn down and ripen about 1" long.  Is certainly a super hot and still has the Chiltepins way of little lasting burn.  Makes great hot sauces.  Does best in partial shade.

SF0SqDy.jpg

Pods...

5lDmCQR.jpg
Beautiful plant. Love the wild crosses, and this one looks like a winner. Congrats.

If it was decided that this would be the growdown variety for 2016, I would still definitely give it a shot. But I would still only have room to start 2-4 plants, max. It definitely looks like a variety I would have interest in growing either way, so growing a few would be a good thing. I just think my chances of growing a monster like yours might be considerably lower than if it was maybe a f8 or older. 
     Either way, I bet it makes awesome powder!  :drooling:

Back