• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The next time you think you need Cal/Mag...

The next time you see a nutrient deficiency and want to buy Cal/mag as so many mistakenly suggest on here, please buy some kelp meal from kelp4less or buildasoil.com and put 1/4 cup into 5 gallons of de-chlorinated water and bubble it with an airstone for 24 hours and water your plants with that and watch and see if it doesn't help.
Kelp is arguably one of the greatest amendments a soil can have and yet so few seem to realize how great it really is.

i only suggest cal/mag because some times it works on my plants, but not every plant is the same. im starting to find that the calmag isnt really working all that much any more, so i will give this a shot

magicpepper said:
i only suggest cal/mag because some times it works on my plants, but not every plant is the same. im starting to find that the calmag isnt really working all that much any more, so i will give this a shot
Note that calmag is sold as a supplement - something to use in addition to "regular" fertilizer. It's not intended to be a stand-alone fert. Kelp is good, but it can also attract animals that you may or may not want around. 

what i use is bone meal, i had it mixed into the soil, and when i noticed all the new leaves starting to wrinkle as they grew, i added bone meal to the mg 24-8-16 that i use to feed every 2 weeks. as for animals my back yard is fenced in and havent seen any other then chipmunks, i had a problem with raccoon's but i took care of that last year lol 

The Cal-Mag cult, huh? Considering some of the fine growers who use it, that "cult" comment is laughable, at best. So, how are your plants doing PMD?

Roguejim said:
The Cal-Mag cult, huh? Considering some of the fine growers who use it, that "cult" comment is laughable, at best. So, how are your plants doing PMD?
You are entitled to your opinion. My plants are doing fantastic by the way thanks for asking.
The best growth I have ever seen on some plants. 

AaronRiot said:
Everything has it's place. Edit: op sounds like an ad..
An ad how? I am not affiliated with anyone, I was just giving a couple of links to reputable suppliers.

Oftentimes magnesium and sulfur is what the peppers really need, although calcium and other nutrients are important though as well. When my leaves started to yellow, I added some epsom salts which has both, and they greened right up and recovered quickly..

I grow naturally, but I personally stay away from kelp and fish emulsion because of heavy metal contamination. I have seen countless studies showing that most kelp and fish have too many toxic metals such as mercury; and recently kelp was found to have elevated levels of uranium. The plants uptake those toxic minerals into the plant, and thus into the fruiting bodies. With the amount of pollution out there already, I personally prefer not to take any chances. If one could find a source of liquid kelp grown away from the oceans and tested for heavy metals such as Maine Coast sea vegetables,  I might consider buying some, but I have yet to find one trustworthy. I have used it before though with excellent results when added in addition to other minerals and ferts.
It should be noted that many plants can take toxic metals and still grow quite well, unlike us who can develop chronic conditions and diseases with low levels accumulated over periods of time.

Some of us have to work for a living, and can't spend days in the mad scientist lab cooking up concotions. :P

PH perfect 3 part and a few ml of calmag+ every other watering in my hydro.

Leaves as big as my hand.

Proud Marine Dad said:
You are entitled to your opinion. My plants are doing fantastic by the way thanks for asking.

An ad how? I am not affiliated with anyone, I was just giving a couple of links to reputable suppliers.
I'm glad some of your plants are doing "fantastic".  The last comment I remember from your Glog was that some of your plants were sickly.  The last photo in your Glog reveals them to still be smallish, as of May 22, photo #44 (http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46171-proud-marine-dads-organic-grow-2014/page-3) Any new photos?

i dispute the reputable label you attach to kelp for less, they sold me some garbage ass potassium sulfate....

regarding cal mag,
honestly, i consider the organic evangelists far more cultish than the folks that want you to use cal mag for everything.

Roguejim said:
I'm glad some of your plants are doing "fantastic".  The last comment I remember from your Glog was that some of your plants were sickly.  The last photo in your Glog reveals them to still be smallish, as of May 22, photo #44 (http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46171-proud-marine-dads-organic-grow-2014/page-3) Any new photos?
I just posted a photo on my blog I took yesterday.
queequeg152 said:
i dispute the reputable label you attach to kelp for less, they sold me some garbage ass potassium sulfate....

regarding cal mag,
honestly, i consider the organic evangelists far more cultish than the folks that want you to use cal mag for everything.
Why? Because we use real soil science and not guessing what deficiency a plant may have? I have grown both ways and organic with a living soil is superior in every way but it falls on deaf ears too often. If I come across harsh I apologize but until you grow this way you dont know what you are missing. Go ahead and spend your money on cal-mag and the other stuff and I will continue to just water with no worries. ;)

Proud Marine Dad said:

Hayward, Ca. I went to Mt. Eden and Chabot College. I use to live off depot road for 25 years.

queequeg152 said:

I mentioned kelp not other products.
ikeepfish said:
what's wrong with using an organic Cal Mag?
Nothing wrong with that. Mix it in your soil and its good for the season no more having to buy overpriced bottled stuff.
AaronTT said:

I grow naturally, but I personally stay away from kelp and fish emulsion because of heavy metal contamination. I have seen countless studies showing that most kelp and fish have too many toxic metals such as mercury; and recently kelp was found to have elevated levels of uranium. .
Do you have a link to these "countless studies?"
Buy kelp from the North Atlantic and you don't have to worry.
I was told to buy from this place if you want quality kelp as it is monitored stringently. http://www.acadianseaplants.com/

Back