• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official SWEET PEPPER thread

Ok folks, 

it seems that the sweet peppers get little love here on the THP forum ...

my WAG is that its that many of those are poor producers (been there, done that ... babying a plant to get 2 miserable undersized sweet peppers in a year aint gonna cut it :D)

we need to change this ....

here's what I've been cooking

80485E58-orig_zps47182c23.jpg

I tried to research the varieties a little more and settled for ones that seem to be rather prolific ... quite interesting it seems the less "square" the fruit of the variety, the more prolific (anybody confirm this?)

and here a couple of "lifted" generic pics

FEHER OZONE (Hungary)

Feher+Ozone+Peppers.jpg

CUBANELLE:

cubanelle-pepper_5.jpg

CUERNO DI TORO:

CORNO%20DI%20TORO%20GIALLO%20PEPPER-500x500.jpeg

and 

YOLO WONDER:

6192_25.jpg

so, what are you guys cooking sweet pepper wise?

cheers, Al

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I've been wanting to see a SWEET PEPPER thread on here!  I love to have a sweet pepper with every meal I eat.  I have several lined up on the grow list for 2014.....the one I'm most excited about is Chervena Chushka!

jkernea said:
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I've been wanting to see a SWEET PEPPER thread on here!  I love to have a sweet pepper with every meal I eat.  I have several lined up on the grow list for 2014.....the one I'm most excited about is Chervena Chushka!

man... I bought some Chervena Chushka seeds afew years back and had 0% germination :-|

I was anticipating it too!!!

My mission this year is to find a sweet, not hot C.chinense seasoning pepper. Trinidad perfume are about the best one so far, as a lot of them aren`t so mild. I like Trinidad scorpion sweet for flavor and they are very sweet, but almost as hot as a store-bought habanero. I`m waiting on St Lucia seasoning, Grenada seasoning and Aji dulce, so we`ll see how those stack up.

Cubanelles are very sweet, as are Cuerno di Torro. 

Actually, I've been growing quite a few sweet peppers this year. I find Bell Peppers kind of boring, so I did some seed trading with HabaneroHead in Hungary and Misterno in Croatia. From HH I got Hungarian Tomato Peppers, Almapaprika and Sweet Paprika. From MN I got a sweet roasting pepper called a Kapia (or Kapija) that the folks in his neck of the woods use to make a condiment called Ajvar. I also planted a couple of varieties available from the seed catalogs here in the States... Marconi Rosso and Krimzon Lee paprika. All are doing well, and all are very prolific. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35512-stickmans-2013-glog-chinense-are-ripening/page-93#entry863650
Cheers all

I'm still a big fan of the Bell peppers. Any of the "Wonders"....early, Cal, Yolo are fine tasty peppers....when ripened to their final color. Whether red, orange, or yellow they're all sweet and juicy. I like the 4 lobed varieties for stuffing ground meats with rice. The shape of the pepper makes a good vessel because it can stand up on its own. I pack them side by side in a large cassarole dish.
The "Big Bertha" bells are huge but tapered on the bottom. I use those for slicing into strips and eaten raw with a veg dip.
Other favorites that I grow are the Melrose and Jimmy Nardello's which are both thin walled and are ideal for sauteing. The Marconi's and Corno 's are tasty sliced raw but since they're both horn shaped they can also easily be stuffed. Cubanelles and Gypsey's also make their way in my garden.
I normally don't grow sweet praprika's for drying and powdering. I was fortunate enough to get some powder right from Hungary and Turkey.

yeah - hungary must be the country with most (sweet) pepper (=paprika) culture in the world ...

awsome stuff, there!

I like the stuff I am seeing from the youngsters .... very good work ethics - I like it :D

6A315FBC-orig_zpsb4c34773.jpg

(Feher Ozone - a Hungarian Hairloom)

Back