• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

Those are really nice Jim!  Tomorrow I have to clip off the first set flowers that are starting to pop up on a bunch of them. I just noticed them this morning and didnt have time to deal with them at the moment. Cheers all.
20150303_1705451.jpg

Well last  night i had  to pot up some plants.. Based on the lack of nutes in plugs it was time.. So  50/50 FF OF  and HF add big chunky perlite and in to 4 inch pots. This week end I will start the last of the pepper plants...

KevinH said:
Well last  night i had  to pot up some plants.. Based on the lack of nutes in plugs it was time.. So  50/50 FF OF  and HF add big chunky perlite and in to 4 inch pots. This week end I will start the last of the pepper plants...
Great choice on potting soils, Kevin.  What additional nutes do you use?  I can't seem to settle on anything, no matter the results.

I prepped my raised beds today.  I'm counting on an early Spring; temps were in the 70s today.  Last season at this time, I put down alfalfa meal and composted chicken manure.  I know now though that I was low on calcium.  This season I'm prepping with feather meal, lime, alfalfa meal, and bone meal.  It's nerve wracking switching to something new.

Amendments.  I hope I measured correctly!

The raised beds total around 300s/f.  I don't normally grow peppers in the furthest bed, but I'll probably sneak a few in this time. 

All I do is gently rake back the top layer of mulch that I put down last Fall, scatter the amendments, scratch them in with a hand tool, and rake back the mulch.  This is my attempt at "no-till gardening".  I was surprised how much the mulch had broken down over the last 5 months, and disintegrated into dark soil.  I'll add more mulch next Monday to make sure all the soil beneath is well covered.

Mulch raked back on one side.  The whole process gets repeated on the opposite side.

Amendments in place.

Amendments worked in.  I was glad to see how dark the soil is.  I only saw one worm though.  I'm hoping they are deeper in the soil.  Mulch was raked back over the top (no photo of that).

I use all the none pot head fox farm items. I'm still looking for a good cal and mag.. this year I will be trying both from Humboldt nutrients.

I'm using some Nectar For The Gods nutes (Oregon's Only Organics), since they unloaded some serious samples on me, FREE.  Herculean Harvest is their liquid bone meal.     

Jim  how  far  south are you???

OK quick up date  things have been crazy with school and work and working on my race car.

Re potted in to 50/50 mix of OF and HF  with  big chunk perlite.

20150306_192109_zpsto65kbt4.jpg

Nice and happy in there new pots..

20150307_223200_zpsy4levokd.jpg

20150307_223231_zpss4lnnnyj.jpg

Whats left from the fist  run of germination...

20150219_160627_zpsathxecwj.jpg

Good stuff here!

On calcium, I use calmag, and put it in a dedicated "clean" sprayer. I also like to add some seaweed emulsion. I used to have a terrible problem with blossom end rot on my tomatoes. Half a dose (strength wise) twice a week cured that. Of course the peppers get the same dose ;) 

I'm going on my 3rd year using a 1 gal jug of calmag, and it's still 2/3 full. A good investment ;)

Devv said:
Good stuff here!

On calcium, I use calmag, and put it in a dedicated "clean" sprayer. I also like to add some seaweed emulsion. I used to have a terrible problem with blossom end rot on my tomatoes. Half a dose (strength wise) twice a week cured that. Of course the peppers get the same dose ;)

I'm going on my 3rd year using a 1 gal jug of calmag, and it's still 2/3 full. A good investment ;)
Thanks, Scott.  Sounds like your own soil is Ca deficient?  I'm hoping I may not have to add too many, if any, nutes once the plants are in the ground.  In the back of my mind, though, I'm thinking maybe I added too much stuff to the soil.  My plants will either be grand, or dead.  One more load of wood chips tomorrow to cover it all.

KevinH said:
Jim  how  far  south are you???

OK quick up date  things have been crazy with school and work and working on my race car.

Re potted in to 50/50 mix of OF and HF  with  big chunk perlite.

20150306_192109_zpsto65kbt4.jpg

Nice and happy in there new pots..

20150307_223200_zpsy4levokd.jpg

20150307_223231_zpss4lnnnyj.jpg

Whats left from the fist  run of germination...

20150219_160627_zpsathxecwj.jpg
I'm in the Rogue Valley, Grants Pass.  I'm too lazy to go back in this glog to look, but, are those your 1st, or 2nd rounders?

EDIT:  Now I see most of these are your 2nd rounders.  

Roguejim said:
Thanks, Scott.  Sounds like your own soil is Ca deficient?  I'm hoping I may not have to add too many, if any, nutes once the plants are in the ground.  In the back of my mind, though, I'm thinking maybe I added too much stuff to the soil.  My plants will either be grand, or dead.  One more load of wood chips tomorrow to cover it all.

I'm in the Rogue Valley, Grants Pass.  I'm too lazy to go back in this glog to look, but, are those your 1st, or 2nd rounders?

EDIT:  Now I see most of these are your 2nd rounders.  
Them be 2nd ye> i went  thru  and replanted some  and planted new ones as well..

Turbo, what are the purple ones?

Here's the monster Choc Handgrenade Hab that germinated around 12/21.  19" tall today.

Brown Moruga, not much shorter.

Crappy photos of the grow space, under the HPS lighting.  Usually, I've always gotten vertical lines in the photos from the lighting, but they''re not there now.  All chinenses had to be re-potted to #2 pots.

Shorties.

Tallboys.

Whole group.  2nd rounders hidden in the middle.

Any one here have some reaper Seeds  they can part with. I don't think mine where harvested at the right time.

Roguejim said:
Turbo, what are the purple ones?

Its called a Cheiro Roxa (I got the seeds from PepperLover).  It's pods are purple / pinkish, but all the pictures I've seen of the plants show green leaves, so I assume it'll grow out of the purple leaf phase at some point.  I hope not though, it would be beautiful if it kept those leaf colors as it matures.

That Choc Handgrenade is huge for this time of year! 

Good start fellas. I just potted up my plugs into 4 inch pots. I just took the soil from last year and added vermicompost from my worm farm along with some powder organic fertilizer from root organics (Ingredients: Bat guano, worm castings, fish bone meal, kelp meal, greensand, soybean meal, glacial rock dust, alfalfa meal, feather meal, langbeinite, fish meal, dolomite, montmorillonite, composted chicken manure, crab meal, blood meal and nettle leaf.) Great product! I'll post pics soon

Roguejim said:
After consulting Pepper-Guru, and Scott Ostrander of Nectar For the Gods nutes, I'm going to let the buds stay on the plants. I've always pinched them off before, but this time, no.

organic pepper said:
This is my first year I'm clipping them. I'm curious to see if it make a difference. I read somewhere about it Just never tried it.  
I have resisted clipping buds since my first season.
I figure if the plant is wanting to flower, I'll let it, sort
of letting it do its natural thing.  Just need to keep it
healthy, watered right, and in a big enough pot.
KevinH said:
Any one here have some reaper Seeds  they can part with. I don't think mine where harvested at the right time.
Yes.  I can send you some red and some peach.  
Will send them today or tomorrow.

Still on Charter Place, right?

KevinH said:
Seeds went in the mail box a few minutes ago, Kevin.

Good Luck!

Back