• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

The Patron Saint of Peppers

The Old Farmer's 2012 Almanac has an article on Wilbur L. Scoville the founder of the Scoville Chile Heat Unit. He was a chemist for Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Company. He was tasked with developing a method to gauge the "heat" of variuos chile peppers. The results would aid the company in using capsaicin in salves for sore muscles. The rest of the article describes how he accomplished this.

Scoville Chile Heat Chart

TYPE OF PEPPER SCOVILLE HEAT UNITS

Pure Capsaicin 15,000,000
Pepper Spray 2,000,000-5,300,000
Naga Viper 1,359,000
Bhut Jolokia 1,000,000
Red Savina 577,000
Habanero 200,000-350,000
Chiltepin 100,000-250,000
The rest of the peppers are 50,000 or less Scoville Units.

While I do give credit to what Mr. Scoville did for the chili community, that list is not his, and is pretty much useless. Naga Viper may have been tested at that number once, but it has been proven to be an unstable cross so it shouldn't even be on a list. Plus, there is no mention of the Butch T which has already been given the Guinness World Record at 1.4mil. And... "the rest of the peppers are under 50K" I think not. Have you/they ever heard of the fatalii? Thai Dragon? 7-Pot? etc etc etc.

Don't shoot the messanger. Let the Old Farmer's Almanac know.lol Maybe they can explain where they got the results. You got to remember, they are not going to list every pepper that is out there...

Thanks Sicman.

Thought Ghost pepper spray was used in India to repel/ward off elephants?

Don't shoot the messanger. Let the Old Farmer's Almanac know.lol Maybe they can explain where they got the results. You got to remember, they are not going to list every pepper that is out there...

Thanks Sicman.

Thought Ghost pepper spray was used in India to repel/ward off elephants?

Elephants, lions and tigers and BEARS OH MY!!!!!!

Being in the chilehead community, I have learnt that WE are the cutting edge.
No chile book or Almanac, or Diane Sawer special edition will know more, and faster than right here where your feet are.
If you want further proof, watch those two guys on Heat Seekers, and listen to the "chefs" talk about there heat sources...:rofl:

Back