• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

The Pepper Cure/Deterrent

So I have made a observation since my regime of daily taking habaneros since June 2011. But first let me tell you the full story.

In January 2011 I started my first grown habanero plant from seed. I always loved hot stuff and I wanted something that was readily available. I can't buy quality spice anywhere in stores these days.

So i grew those 6 or so plants 4 habaneros and 2 thai chili peppers and farmed a large stock of peppers for the rest of the year. On average I ate about 2 habaneros each day. Somedays I wouldn't but for most of the year I would say I consumed habaneros daily.

I have not been sick in any fashion since June 2011 (i wasn't sick at June but it is just point of reference), it is not almost February 2012.

So this is extremely unusual because I used to get sick almost every other month. I like to blame this on my habit on being addicted to nail biting lol!

So let me ask people on the forum, anyone take hot peppers, (habanero or hotter including Bhut, T-Scorp, etc), daily and seen a vast reduction in sickness?

In my case it has been eliminated. And when I say "sickness" I mean everything including, flu, soar throat, stomach flu, congestion, nasal infections, coughing induced by cold, any cold related symptoms, etc.).

Please leave feed back if you can.

Cheers!

I very rarely get sick but yea I have not been sick since I started to eat hot peppers. I eat one or two every day or every other day.

Vitamin C is a good thing. Studies have shown that capsaicin is also good for keeping prostate cancer away. That's a great thing!

You may want to read this, in particular the bit about the book "left for dead" a mate passed on this link to me after i had a heart attack last year, he had similar problems & has been eating high heat chilis ever since.

My cousin here eats chili raw with his breakfast, lunch & evening meals, he`s not a chili fantatic or anything he just loves super hot food, and when i mean hot, real hot (Hungarian)

His doctor checks him over every six months or so (he`s nearly 50) and his health (in particular his heart & BP) is excellent.

If you read in to it further (as i did) the number one ingredient for any other health thing you take is capsicun/cayenne as its the only one that gets the blood flowing, so taking things like garlic & other supplements works only half as well unless you take chili on a regualr basis.

Mezo.

Good thing I eat garlic, cayenne pepper, and habaneros everyday! Then again I may be healthy because I eat all organic greens, grass fed beef, and I drink a wheat grass/berry/protien powder (I work out) shake every morning. I've never felt better too.

Also been cutting caffiene out of my diet too lately.

The high vitamin C certainly helps prevent people from getting sick. Capsaicin helps get rid of bacteria (breaks down mucous and also flushes your system). I usually don't get sick. I haven't been sick since I've increased my chile intake but that isn't abnormal (go years without being sick).

Doesn't capsicum also thin your blood lower blood pressure lowers colesterol and kills stomach ulcers :) and now its being studied as a cancer killer who knew a pepper could be the healthiest food in the world

Doesn't capsicum also thin your blood lower blood pressure lowers colesterol and kills stomach ulcers :) and now its being studied as a cancer killer who knew a pepper could be the healthiest food in the world

Nah it cant be true, i mean if it was your doctor would be telling you t eat it daily right? oh but wait if he did then he would have no patients to check, no referrals to surgeons & wait what would happen to all the pharmaceutical company's? would they not loose billions if it was just a simple as a daily intake of hot pepper.

What you mean its all a big fat conspiracy Mezo? governments know there's alternatives for just about everything but they need sick people to keep the economy's of the world running, think about how many trillions of bucks governments around the world rake in because of sick people.

What if we all gave up smoking & drinking? sold the car & walked to work munching on a Bhut Jolokia, the world would go bust overnight.

Mezo.

Lots of people can go 6 months to a year without getting sick, even if they are the person who catches everything. Eating hot peppers and spicy food does not prevent me from catching whatever my students bring from the hospital. When I wasn't teaching a class full of germ incubators, I would go years between illnesses. It's more about exposure han anything else. Of course, if you had bad eating habits before and while getting into gardening also improved other aspects of your diet, that could have helped your immune system.

Mezo, you're being paranoid. There is no vast conspiracy of doctors to keep people sick. Actually, I'm pretty sure they'd do just as well and have much happier lives if their patients only needed to come in once a year for a check up, and hospitalizations were limited to accidents, old age and child birth. I teach med students, and healthy diet and exercise are the basic mainstays they're taught about. I live in a state right at the top of the list for smoking, obesity, and all of the associated illnesses that come with those, and at the same time, we have physician shortages. So, yeah, prevention is taught heavily. In fact, our med school forbids anyone to take any freebies from pharmaceutical companies. I'm not even allowed to take a free pen, and I don't even see patients or prescribe anything.

I think there is a fine balance here. I don't know that capsaicin is a miracle cure-all... we are getting into snake oil territory there... But I do think it has definite health benefits. I have read that ounce per ounce most peppers have more vitamin C than oranges. Vitamin C does boost your immune system, but won't completely prevent you from getting sick. It can help, but not completely shield you.

Some studies show that peppers can increase your metabolism, causing you to burn more calories.

If you check the wikipedia page for capsaicin, there are all kinds of claims, but more research is definitely needed.

I personally think that peppers, when added to a well balanced diet can be very beneficial, but if you are eating a steady diet of fast food, soft drinks, beer, and potato chips, eating a pepper isn't going to reverse it. Kind of like ordering a supersized big mac meal, and then getting a diet coke. ;)

Just my $0.02...

I also haven't been sick in the past few months. However, I'm getting tired of the a** fire in the morning. Does this subside after a while? Lol serious question.

lol. Good question... I know your mouth builds up tolerance... how about the other end of the equation? :)

I think it does... or perhaps it is just scarring... ;)

Back