• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Perfect Wing

After over 20 years of trying I think I have just made and eaten the perfect wing. I will share with you the process. I was given 20lbs of wings and an Emeril commercial grade deep fryer for Christmas. Peanut oil is a must. Put the oven on broil medium to preheat, and then preheat the oil to 375F put the wings in and begin mixing the sauce. It is a large dose of Defcon 2, a smaller dose of DM MKII, a yet smaller dose of my own habanero concentrate. Next, the dry ingredients: cajun seasoning, a mix of mild pepper powders and garlic powder, and finally some texas pete garlic sauce. Poke the wings with a fork when they have about two minutes to go, then take 'em out while they are barely done and shake them in the sauce. Now put them on a nonstick sprayed sheetpan and put them in the oven to crisp a little more. About 3 minutes, flip. Another 3 minutes take them out and put them back in the sauce. Now you're ready. Have at 'em!

ImpyChick said:
I prefer the sauce cooked into the wing, myself. I hate wings that are so saucy that you can't even get a good grip on the thing.

I like both. Have some cooked in, and then lightly coat it with sauce before consuming.

LUCKYDOG said:
I dont bread mine per say I shake them in a bag of flour, cayenne or powder of choice, season salt and pepper and let them sit on a tray for 45 min before frying them. I really like them on the grill/smoker but not with the flour mix just a rub and brush with sauce.

sort of what i do

i soak my wings in a combo of hot sauce and buttermilk and lots of garlic powder and other spices for a couple of hours...

when it comes time to "coat" them i mix flour w/spices, the more spices u put in the better... place in a big ziplock bag..

throw in a few wings at a time. dont overload the bag and shake around. take wings out of bag and place on cookie sheet. continue until done.. if you want crispy crispy wings recoat wings in left over moisture and repeat.

i let my chicken wings when coated rest in the freezer until they firm up... peanut oil, dont overload deepfryer... cook until crispy looking. season when they come out.. coat with favorite wing sauce and enjoy

I'm making my baked wings again tonight. This time I'm experimenting a lil w/ the sauce. I did the usual grocery store wing sauce + Da Bomb. This time, though, I added garlic, hab powder, & a lil bleu cheese dressing (yes, dressing mixed into the sauce). Right now the wings are in the oven & awaiting their first sauce bath. Unless they come out looking really cool I won't add pics because if you've seen one crappy cell phone pic of my wings you've seen them all :).

ImpyChick said:
I'm making my baked wings again tonight. This time I'm experimenting a lil w/ the sauce. I did the usual grocery store wing sauce + Da Bomb. This time, though, I added garlic, hab powder, & a lil bleu cheese dressing (yes, dressing mixed into the sauce). Right now the wings are in the oven & awaiting their first sauce bath. Unless they come out looking really cool I won't add pics because if you've seen one crappy cell phone pic of my wings you've seen them all :).

Not so Impy. If I remember correctly you had some decent pics. You are obligated to post food pics no matter how bad the pic is and no matter how drunk you are.

Cheers, TB.

Alrighty, here they are:

swzoyo.jpg

They were tasty! I really enjoyed the bleu cheese flavor cooked onto the wing. I should've added more garlic though. I was really looking forward to the garlic taste. I used minced garlic so there were lil chunks of garlic on every wing. Guess I'll just use more next time :). I also like seeing the lil flecks of hab powder on the wings. Of course on the cell phone pics you can't see the garlic or the hab powder.

I was afraid @ first that I made the wings a lil too hot. I was actually going for a combination of flavor & heat instead of making the wings insanely hot. Turned out I had nothing to worry about :). Just some minor tweaks, & these may be my "perfect wings."

You know, its been six years and I am still pretty much set on that method and sauces.  The only difference between then and now is instead of habanero puree, I usually use fatalii or sometimes bhut puree.  Otherwise, yes, that is still my perfect wing recipe.

Robbie you resuscitate the most interesting threads, and I thank you for it.  Also I dig that you read a buncha 60's-70's sword and sorcerer hsit.  Let's play D&D some time eh?  :)

@ JayT - 

My own method for the perfect wing is similar in that we both fry naked wings to just doneness, then doctor.  I prefer to finish mine on the grill for a few minutes after they've been sauced though.  Helps char them and dry them out a bit prior to plating.  I am not a big fan of fry/ smother in franks/ plate.  One thing I have not yet done is the rice flour, mostly because I don't care for breaded wings.  In my experience most wings are fatty enough that they crisp fine without breading.

When I don't have access to a deep fryer my method is to steam the wings for a little bit to render fat and then dry rub/bake till done/sauce/bake a bit more.  I'd love to pull a couple shifts with you in the kitchen some time.  You've got skillz yo!   

I did try the rice flour, and according to the boss, I didn't do it right, but I would still stick with the plain ole naked wings.  I do love some smoked and grilled wings too, but to me nothing is better than a perfectly fried wing tossed in sauce and then broiled for a minute.

Wow.

Another zombie thread revival.

And a good thread but its a pre-mandatory pic posting era thread.

Nowadays we don't let that sheeit slide.

Pics or it never happened.

Impy was always a standup gal and posty'd up well.

Unlike the thread starter whom only "talked" about wings here.

Back on topic though.

I don't eat wings much these days.

I have some drummettes in the freezer that are surely zombie certified as they've been in there for so long.

Might have to yank 'em and spankem'.

Just for old time sake.

But that might have to wait a coupla' days or three.

I've got quinoa tacos tonight and tomorrow and smashed scheezeburgers on the 4th.

After that perhaps I'll whoop out the recessed comal for some freezer burned deep fried 'wang accione'.

Question is....

Where do I post?

Here or in THP's 'wang thread?

Your call Jay.

Ok, I have several issues with this.

#1 How many times have I posted wings on this forum?  I mean, it has to be dozens!

#2 You talk about food often and promise pics and they sometimes show up "manana" and sometimes not.

#3 Quinoa tacos?  You have gone full hippy.

TB done lost it. Wasn't sure before, saw all the signs but yup.

:rofl:

Back