The proper way to do a SASBE

Since you can't seem to understand where I am coming from and seem to want to paint a certain picture of me in this thread, I think I will just leave it and you alone.

On second thought...

Let me try to rephrase once again.... $3.42 seems a bit high to "me" for seeds that "I" am used to paying 2 bucks for a pack of 30 of. "I" never once said or implied that "I" expected to have the free seed giver pay the postage to give "ME" free seeds. I have since checked some prices of seeds of peppers like the Trinidad and see that getting those for $3.42 as a nice deal. I thought I had covered that with the "unless these are rare" statement.

A lot of these may not be rare to you, or most members on this board, but for someone who has only ever gotten his seeds from general purpose seed companies, it is a different story.

But it sure is nice to welcome a newcomer in such a nice way.

The way it was explained to me at the local post office is that a small bubble envelope can ship for 88¢, but it will likely be processed through a machine that might crush the bubbles and whatever is inside. With $1.71 postage, it will be hand processed so there is no risk of crushing. That might be bull, but that's what I was told. If that's true then my question is, is just buying $1.71 in postage at the self-service machine sufficient to insure hand processing or does the envelope require some other label or notice?

I hear ya bro, I have traded using a 4 X 7 bubble envelope (50 cents) with two 44 cent stamps on it. mailed 6 different types of seeds at a total seed count of (65 seeds).but I got back (on a trade) 6 types.(80 seeds) which would have cost me $40 or more since their super hots. so yeah a $1.38 is worth it to me.plus you make a bud on the forums which is priceless. :cool:

2nd point is I sent a SASBE out for some FREE seeds and invested $2.72 to pay for the seeds there and back and got 100 mixed seeds.
Which would have cost me $7 (for 100 seeds).if not more so yeah. $2.72 is much better then $7...

3rd point is that some people on here will just send you seeds on their kindness (paid postage) if your cool with them.

Rare really does depend who you are talking to lol but I would have to say I agree that sase offers are generally worth it (one elsewhere I swear the person literally STUFFED the bubble FULL! Granted those were mostly flowers but still!)

I think the post is giving you bull on the parcel rate --they will from what I've seen and understand try to send EVERYTHING thru the machines they can it dosent matter if you pay more for them to not they will still try to!

Case in point? I was part of a card exchange this last x-mas (im planing on joining another for valentines) one person sent a card with 2 stamps (forevers) it was not heavy or anything the post DID send it thru the machines and they decided that they did not overcharge or the person did not over pay --another person again same situation not heavy standard card size they put the non-machine surcharge on it and it too was machined (they ALL were printed on the bottom)

Then they claim there going bankrupt? I call BULL!

Yes, I should say that another person at the same post office insisted 88¢ was all that was required. There seems to be an internal dispute on the matter going on at that branch. I'm just worried about getting caught in the crossfire, because that envelope, with 88¢ postage, doesn't seem to have made it to its destination yet though it was mailed on 12/15/11.

Might be a newbie question here, but 3.42 for seeds seems a bit high. Unless we are talking some rare kinds here.

:welcome: from PA
Not to throw salt on a possible wound, but if a seed offer looks good to you then you decide. I invite people to find a good offer on here and go find it at a local store

To be honest I have had people want something but they couldn't for whatever reason get the SASBE together so they gifted me the cost on paypal and I sent it.
This thread though is just to show the most acceptable way. It is linked to in a lot of offers. If I see it linked to I understand this is what the generous person offering seeds wants.

Basically any decision in life takes common sense. If you can buy a seed locally, then why spend more money to have it shipped in?

In my case, I have few local opportunities to get a large variety of seeds. I utilize the kindness of members to enlarge my seed bank by trading seeds. I understand I have to pay shipping, that is a decision I choose to make, it makes fiscal sense for me.

Once again, this is my personal situation and the opportunities in my area, others circumstances will be different.

man... i can't find any seeds locally.... but i did find bhut jolokia seeds on craigslist today at 20 for 4 bucks or 100 for 8 bucks... now for less than 8 bucks, i got a 10 pack of padded envelopes, 50 stickers for return address, 100 baggies all from walmart...

wait...

5 for envelopes...
2 for stickers...
1 for the baggies all at walmart...

yup, 8 bucks... now, the stamps is a different story... i get a large roll at the post office so i don't count it...

anyways... i'm a newb, but this week i'm sending out 3 SASBE's for super hots, and one is a trade... i can either buy some crazy dude's seeds on craigslist, or have enough stuff for 10 SABSE or more if i want to reuse the envelopes more than once...

I haven't looked lately but when I did

Wallmart had 10 for 4.44 where SAMs had 25 for like 6-7 bucks

BUT you have to 1 know someone that's a sams club member or 2 pay like 35 bucks to join (I think that's the cost?) we get enough there that it makes sence to us especially when we would buy water there all the time

You really think wallmart has the best prices huh? I would beg to differ lol (and ATM I have MORE then enough bubbles lol)

I have never done a SASBE, or trade on this forum, but have done quite a few of them on another gardening website, and the only part that is different than what Wayright posted is the seed baggies. I've never had a single request to include those on any SASBE offers on that website. Then again, I usually do trades, or group swaps where it wouldn't really be necessary, since each person would bag up their own seeds. I'll have to remember that in the future though.

Thanks for posting, Wayright!

My one walmart is out of the baggies and so is their DC. The lady told me they must be having trouble ordering them. I went to another walmart and bought the only 3 packs they had left.

I don't know how wide their DC operates, but if they can't order em, probably the other DC can't either. If you're short, might be time to nab some up.

My one walmart is out of the baggies and so is their DC. The lady told me they must be having trouble ordering them. I went to another walmart and bought the only 3 packs they had left.

I don't know how wide their DC operates, but if they can't order em, probably the other DC can't either. If you're short, might be time to nab some up.

At one local Walmart, that was out of the small ziplocks, I was told law enforcement pressures them not to carry them. Somehow I don't think not being able to get a ziplock bag has ever stopped anyone from obtaining or consuming their drug of choice. I finally found some at a Hobby Lobby for twice the price and got strange looks both when I asked where they were and again at the register. I found later another Walmart has plenty in stock.

Newbie trivia, is there anyway to do international sasbe, all seed's that i saw here is rare an expensive in my country, i could only found

- bhut jolokia
- red and orange habanero
- red 7 pot (original?)

From what i read in this forum there are so many nice people who shared their seed's for free, i dont have much money to buy the seed, if there's a way to do sasbe internationally i would gladly pay for it (i havent figure it out, i going to ask my local post office).

See if you can the person a couple of bucks, they can then send it to you. I just sent seeds to France for less than a buck.

Back