• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Ramen Lover's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have never had an authentic bowl of ramen, you are missing out. Find out the nearest ramen joint to your area and get out there STAT.

For the rest of you have love yourself a tasty, steaming bowl of noodley goodness, post your pics and add location details and help out the uninitiated.

I'll start with this one. Kara-Miso Ramen (literally spicy miso) from a chain store called Ramen Bandai (formerly Kurumaya Ramen). Was good for what it was, but since they took out their signature garlic from the miso (name change and chain consolidation I think) it just doesn't hit the spot anymore. :-(

Still enjoyed it though!

10894937_447566508730554_472728886_n.jpg

I love ramen and have had many many bowls of Nongshim Shin Ramyun Black...but for some reason, I've never doctored it with anything other than black tree fungus and szechaun pickled vegetables.  While this would be understandable, I cook chinese, korean and japanese and have almost all the "real" ingredients including pixian chili paste, soup soy (and many other soy sauces, Gochujang (level 3, fish sauce and so on.

I probably could guess at how much to add...but I'd like a rough starting point.  Would someone give me some thoughts on how much of what to add to a single package of the black ramen.  Also, I see many do pickled soft eggs? any favorite recipes??

ghstudio said:
I love ramen and have had many many bowls of Nongshim Shin Ramyun Black...but for some reason, I've never doctored it with anything other than black tree fungus and szechaun pickled vegetables.  While this would be understandable, I cook chinese, korean and japanese and have almost all the "real" ingredients including pixian chili paste, soup soy (and many other soy sauces, Gochujang (level 3, fish sauce and so on.

I probably could guess at how much to add...but I'd like a rough starting point.  Would someone give me some thoughts on how much of what to add to a single package of the black ramen.  Also, I see many do pickled soft eggs? any favorite recipes??

it's more about adding toppings than doctoring the flavor profile. Yes, soft boiled eggs are common. I usually marinate my soft boiled eggs then add them to ramen. I can't really comment on what to add to your black ramen as i've never had it, unless it's like the black garlic ramen i've had, but cilantro is a nice addition. i boil slices of chicken and or shrimp and add to ramen sometimes. chinese broccoli is another nice one to add for a vegetable 

Nongshim Black is very salty. You need to consider this especially when talking about pixian chili bean sauce, fish sauce and fermented additions. You can pretty much just not use the Nongshim seasoning packet at all or only use half of it. No salt added beef or chicken stock work very well too. Minced pork sauteed with pixian and fermented mustard/nappa/beans will add nearly enough salt to a unsalted stock.

If you want to use the Nongshim packets i would look at fresh greens, Shanghai bok choy and nappa. Probably need to blanch them first or cook the noodles separately. You can make your own suan cai like i did. Its WAY less salty then commercial products. I used a simple 2.5% brine. Let it ferment for a week or two and toss it in the fridge for a couple more weeks.

This stuff is sooo good. Prima Taste Laksa. I added 2 fresh culantro, Redboat 40n and 2 green onions. Meat was 6 jumbo shrimp and 6 fish balls. Garnished with fresh laksa leaves from the plant im overwintering.

Half the culantro and green onions goes in with the laksa paste, extra curry powder and gochugaru. When it hits a boil add the fish balls.
4PpBnkf.jpg

Add the coconut cream powder when it returns to a boil
sObfQFH.jpg

Add the noodles when the fish balls float. When the noodles are at 4min add the shrimp and remaining culantro/green onion. Cook about another 3-4min.
ybACQ4v.jpg

Top with fresh laksa leaves and scarf. :D If you like curry and ramen noodles, it probably dont get much better than this
igpbcP0.jpg

When i make it i add about 50% more water but i add more curry powder, pepper flakes and some additional coconut cream powder too. It tones down the salt so the Redboat can be added for the umami.

I thought the culantro worked out fantastic too. 2 whole leaves chopped didnt overpower it.

My contribution to this thread.

Being the first coldish sort of day that we have had this year (19°C, but the last few days have been +30°C, so it seems cold) I decided to make some soup for lunch.

All ingredients just what I had in the kitchen at the time.
Chicken stock, soy sauce, ginger powder, garlic, pre cooked chicken, onion, spring onion, 1 thin sliced orange habanero, ramen noodles.

Turned out quite sensational.

20180321_125335.jpg

Edmick said:
Ed was a little hungover today so I decided to hit up the new ramen and dumpling place that just opened by my house. Pretty impressive. The broth and ingredients were definitely on point.

Looks good, what all was in the soup? 

D3monic said:

Looks good, what all was in the soup? 
The first picture was what my wife got and it had woodier mushroo, gai lan and beef with a classic beef noodle soup broth ( a little anise hint to it) and mine had pork, seaweed, mushroom and tea eggs with a miso broth. The broths were really good. You can tell they put some effort into them. I hope the place does well. We have very few good options for food like this around here and with my wife being from taiwan, she always gets really excited when something like this opens.

Edmick said:
The first picture was what my wife got and it had woodier mushroo, gai lan and beef with a classic beef noodle soup broth ( a little anise hint to it) and mine had pork, seaweed, mushroom and tea eggs with a miso broth. The broths were really good. You can tell they put some effort into them. I hope the place does well. We have very few good options for food like this around here and with my wife being from taiwan, she always gets really excited when something like this opens.

I really need to score some woodear mushrooms. I've been contemplating growing gourmet mushrooms in the basement during off season. 

Dried wood ear is really common at Asian markets. Soak them in warm water for ooohhhh around 30min before using them. Slice into strips or whatever after rehydrating but remove the thick "veins" when only cooking them a few minutes. They are remarkably crunchy even after several minutes of boiling.

Hot and Sour soup just isnt the same without them. Traditional or not i love the stuff when its made right.

Making some turkey paitan ramen

Legs, wings, back and roasted carcass 

Mz2Uv5F.jpg

boiled for 20 mins, rinsed out blood, marrow bits and scrubbed the bones. Dumped water and refilled with clean water. Added lots of roasted ginger and garlic, scallions, leeks, shallots, dried mushroom blend (shiitake, wood ear, cloud ear, button and some other kind) 

QGvEVFj.jpg

Starting to get some color

3G4vbov.jpg

First attempt at making mayu (black garlic oil)
garlic, canola oil, roasted sesame oil.

FpwuE0G.jpg

not quite dark enough to count as black. 

VDp1zP2.jpg

pulled the meat off the legs and will set aside until tomorrow. 

EOZjTRY.jpg

Watched Mikey Chen on a YouTube vlog eating 8 packs of this stuff in a ramen challenge - anyone ever try it? Any good?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 45
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back