• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

The Red Parrot, Newport RI

http://www.redparrotrestaurant.com/

Right in downtown Newport, which is both good and bad. Lots of good bars around, plenty of shopping if you are into that, and right near the water so nice sunsets/boats/etc. They have a pretty extensive menu that ranges from Caribbean type foods to your typical American fair.

So far I've only had a big steak there (NY Strip) and some pretty spicy wings! The wings are why I am posting this. They have several varieties of sauces, including a jerk sauce which I regret not trying. The one I had was their Atomic or Nuclear..can't honestly remember what they called it. (Edit..I looked at their menu online and they were called "wicked hot") Either way, they asked me "Are you sure you want to order these and not the regular hot?" I said "Of course I'm sure." hah So they bring them out and I can tell right away that they were going to be actually pretty potent because the fumes coming off of them were burning my eyes a bit! :lol: They were possibly the hottest wings I've ever had at any dining establishment, and I've tried my fair share of hot wings. Very tasty and very spicy! I let someone try one and it lit them up good and I was left to finish the rest..which I did. After that I made sure to wash my hands thoroughly so as not to have any unexpected surprises on my next trip to the head.

All in all, the place is very nice. If you are in the area, give it a shot. They have a decent selection of scotch, but unfortunately the beer selection has declined a little since the first time I was there. Their big thing is crazy elaborate sweet mixed drinks like margaritas and who knows what else.

Been there myself this past summer after looking at mansions on Bellview :shocked: Trying to rememeber what I had but all in all it was a refuge from the rain and they had beer and food ... so I am able to live and tell about it. We were going do the sail boat around the light houses but it got nasty fast (weather-wise)
we go to Newport at least once a year so I will try their Nuclear wings next time...

I never actually made it out to see the mansions there. I know I saw at least one really big house/estate. It's a nice looking town though..parking sucks but that's how it goes in your typical downtown.

Definitely check out the wings. They said most people don't finish them all and when I finished them, the bartender busted out the ol' "well normally they make them spicier, I could tell they weren't as hot as normal." heh Who knows, maybe he was telling the truth. Oh, and I'm sure they could put the sauce on any of the wings, but I only noticed that sauce on the boneless wings..so if you are a bone in only kinda person, I don't see why they couldn't accomodate.

Back