• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Secret to Fertilizing.

able eye said:

Uh yes they did.

So why dont you learn to read before you ask for answers to questions you dont even comprehend?

Not sure what youre talking about since peppers like it pretty dry in the first place.

Obviously not.

My fertilizer of choice is Dyna-Gro's Foliage Pro. For "veg" and "flower". It's labeled 9-3-6. This itself is pretty significant if you know anything.

Now it has multiple instructions for how much to use, measured in teaspoons, per gallon of water. The scale is 1 to 4.

I have one strain that before I started doing it this way that I knew could take 4 tsp/gal. This strain can be wilting and still take the same  4 tsp dose. without so much as tip burn.

I have other strains that I cant give more than 1 tsp/gal without some signs of burn.

(note: the wilting was an accident, and not how i normally do things, I said "really thirsty". This translates to a lot thirstier than YOU think a plant can get before wilting)

As I already said, "know your plants".

No one said to let them wilt other than the people putting words into my mouth.

I may be wrong about why it works, I was guessing.

I'm not wrong that it works. So quibble over your definitions and your myopic views of how things work. I dont even care. The less people who can grow, the more money I make.

Now excuse me  while I go tie up all my plants that have fallen over from being too heavy.

And ya'll act like the whole plant wilts at once instead of just a few leaves at the beginning.

Do more observing. Less reading.

Make sure you tards come back and let everyone know in this thread that its the truth when you finally listen.

"So why dont you learn to read before you ask for answers to questions you dont even comprehend?"
"Do more observing. Less reading."

I am not sure if I should learn to read or read less.  Irrespective of your level of literacy, the danger of asking for answers to questions you don't even comprehend is very real.

"This translates to a lot thirstier than YOU think a plant can get before wilting"

How could you possibly know how thirsty we think a plant could get?

Seriously though this was the most useful post so far.  We know the NPK of the fertilizer used and we have a ballpark range for application; between 1 and 4 tsp per gallon. The state of dehydration at watering was further qualified. We also know the way this fertilizing method works is not fully understood so there is little point in asking about that further. 

able eye said:

Uh yes they did.

So why dont you learn to read before you ask for answers to questions you dont even comprehend?

Not sure what youre talking about since peppers like it pretty dry in the first place.

Obviously not.

My fertilizer of choice is Dyna-Gro's Foliage Pro. For "veg" and "flower". It's labeled 9-3-6. This itself is pretty significant if you know anything.

Now it has multiple instructions for how much to use, measured in teaspoons, per gallon of water. The scale is 1 to 4.

I have one strain that before I started doing it this way that I knew could take 4 tsp/gal. This strain can be wilting and still take the same  4 tsp dose. without so much as tip burn.

I have other strains that I cant give more than 1 tsp/gal without some signs of burn.

(note: the wilting was an accident, and not how i normally do things, I said "really thirsty". This translates to a lot thirstier than YOU think a plant can get before wilting)

As I already said, "know your plants".

No one said to let them wilt other than the people putting words into my mouth.

I may be wrong about why it works, I was guessing.

I'm not wrong that it works. So quibble over your definitions and your myopic views of how things work. I dont even care. The less people who can grow, the more money I make.

Now excuse me  while I go tie up all my plants that have fallen over from being too heavy.

And ya'll act like the whole plant wilts at once instead of just a few leaves at the beginning.

Do more observing. Less reading.

Make sure you tards come back and let everyone know in this thread that its the truth when you finally listen.
lol.
mate, my main liquid fert is 5/8/12, so probably better for peppers then yours haha

also, i measure mine by the ml, much more accurate then your outdated teaspoon LOL

wayright said:
Growdown Throwdown 2015

Some of you knowledgeable growers may like a challenge

:cool:
Kevin 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Time to grow some pudding!

NZchilli and I are both in the wrong hemisphere to complete in the grow down but inspired by the tallest plant growdown we made started one for our little corner of the earth:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52488-kiwi-grow-off-heaviest-weight-of-pods-off-a-single-plant/

We have 10 people lined up to compete already which is awesome. We kick off in July.

nzchili said:
lol.
mate, my main liquid fert is 5/8/12, so probably better for peppers then yours haha

also, i measure mine by the ml, much more accurate then your outdated teaspoon LOL

Plant tissue is almost always a 3-1-2 ratio for macrontrients. In case you dont get it 9-3-6 is that exact ratio.

You keep staring at those millimeters and thinking how accurately your fertilizer is measured really makes a difference.

Robisburning said:

"This translates to a lot thirstier than YOU think a plant can get before wilting"

How could you possibly know how thirsty we think a plant could get?

Ok maybe i should have phrased it "how thirsty most people think a plant can get".

Seriously though this was the most useful post so far.  We know the NPK of the fertilizer used and we have a ballpark range for application; between 1 and 4 tsp per gallon. The state of dehydration at watering was further qualified. We also know the way this fertilizing method works is not fully understood so there is little point in asking about that further. 

I have not qualified the state of dehydration and the reason is that it works to varying degrees until the point of diminishing returns. I figure this point will not not be static for all species of plants and it will somewhat correspond also to the growers time schedule. I have witnessed plants go 1-2-3 days longer without water before wilting than I gave them when I picked up the pot to check the weight. Another reason is that the rate of water is so variable depending on conditions. I might say oh I waited 3 days for that plant before I watered/fed where after 1 day someone elses plant might die because its hotter or there is a lot more air movement.

And no, I dont understand it fully. I also understand that comparing the very myopic way that osmosis happens under a microscope with what happens to a plant in a pot isnt even close to science. Its just people's egos.

Potting soil isnt a solution and a plants roots arent a cell wall.

able eye said:

Plant tissue is almost always a 3-1-2 ratio for macrontrients. In case you dont get it 9-3-6 is that exact ratio.

You keep staring at those millimeters and thinking how accurately your fertilizer is measured really makes a difference.

Potting soil isnt a solution and a plants roots arent a cell wall.

You are right, most plants do like a 3,1,2 ratio. Iv got multiple ferts that are that ratio and i use them for my lettuces etc. I must literally have 20 different ferts. I bought most that were available locally to see what they responded to the best.
I, and many other people on this forum have found it not to be the best ratio for our particular application, and from experience most have come to favor a fert with a higher P & K ratio and less N , despite what is generally accepted as the ideal for plants to uptake.

Yes it is, the solution is whatever the roots are in. If its a mixture of soil, water and fertilizer - that is a/the solution. A solution is not singular. A solution by definition is made up of multiple things. In our case, water, soil particals, salts, ferts, etc etc 

And the roots are a "semi permeable membrane". 

see the definition of osmosis

"Osmosis is the spontaneous net movement of solvent molecules through a partially permeable membrane into a region of higher solute concentration, in the direction that tends to equalize the solute concentrations on the two sides."

edit; and down here in my part of the world - most ferts come with a little measuring cup thing, making it very easy to get 5ml, 10 or 15ml or whatever you want. I agree it does not need to be THAT accurate, but its easy to be, about the same as pouring a tea spoon full without spilling it, lol. Was just digging man :)

able eye said:

Uh yes they did.

Uh, barely, at best. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill, but that's typical for a drama queen.

Why not learn a few social skills before you try opening your gob? I guarantee you'd wouldn't be nearly so aggravated all the time.

miguelovic said:

Uh, barely, at best. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill, but that's typical for a drama queen.

Why not learn a few social skills before you try opening your gob? I guarantee you'd wouldn't be nearly so aggravated all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDPTKn7HiY

All this talk of pudding and secrets... Don't drink any hot coco if you know what I mean.

bill-cosby-face.jpg

Damn I wish I would have got my popcorn ready before I read what I missed since yesterday. Educational and entertaining. The best kind of post.

miguelovic said:

I'm not the one following you around trolling. You're probably projecting.
nzchili said:

You are right, most plants do like a 3,1,2 ratio. Iv got multiple ferts that are that ratio and i use them for my lettuces etc. I must literally have 20 different ferts. I bought most that were available locally to see what they responded to the best.
I, and many other people on this forum have found it not to be the best ratio for our particular application, and from experience most have come to favor a fert with a higher P & K ratio and less N , despite what is generally accepted as the ideal for plants to uptake.

Yes it is, the solution is whatever the roots are in. If its a mixture of soil, water and fertilizer - that is a/the solution. A solution is not singular. A solution by definition is made up of multiple things. In our case, water, soil particals, salts, ferts, etc etc 

And the roots are a "semi permeable membrane". 

see the definition of osmosis

"Osmosis is the spontaneous net movement of solvent molecules through a partially permeable membrane into a region of higher solute concentration, in the direction that tends to equalize the solute concentrations on the two sides."

edit; and down here in my part of the world - most ferts come with a little measuring cup thing, making it very easy to get 5ml, 10 or 15ml or whatever you want. I agree it does not need to be THAT accurate, but its easy to be, about the same as pouring a tea spoon full without spilling it, lol. Was just digging man :)

Solution

In chemistry, a solution is a homogeneous mixture composed of only one phase.

My point with the roots is that yes, you're correct, but the roots are part of a larger system/organism which could be doing it's own thing.

Y'all could have tested it by now. I think so far the timing that works the best is just before they wilt. The growth is explosive.

I dont think I've ever trolled the grow forum. Leave it to my two speshul stalkers.

Back