• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

The seed pkg from AjiJoe was marked "Choc Hab Hybrid," but....

This sure doesn't look like a chocolate habanero.  The pods are shaped differently and have matured from bright green to dark purple (almost black).  It's very spicy. 
Here they are next to a sweet choc cherry...
9362985500_a9db42b974_o.jpg

And on the plant (on right)...
9414111463_831609afc6_o.jpg

Any thoughts on what it might be?  Is it, indeed, a choc hab... I guess it could be since it's a hybrid...   ???  

Bishop's Crown's maybe? I'll defer to others on this

megahot said:
Wonder if the pods are purple UFO?
AjiJoe is a very nice guy, I'm sure if you were to tell him he will give you some more seeds for free of course.
I haven't heard of purple UFO.... I'll have to look 'em up.   I wasn't implying anything about AjiJoe.  No doubt he is a huge asset to this forum (and our gardens).  A couple of years ago I ordered a TON of seeds from him. I was going to grow them last year but my dad died and I got sidetracked.  This summer I've got a GREAT pepper patch with 23+ varieties... In addition to the peppers I paid for AjiJoe tossed in some great "mixed surprise" peppers.  I put his name in the subject line hoping to draw him in to help ID the peppers.  It's not impossible that I mixed up my seeds packets or my "map" of the garden.  Or it's some kind of crazy hybrid... I'm just curious what it is before I start making sauces, rubs, salsas, etc.  :)
My patch (planted too close together I'm sure you'll tell me) filled to the brim with peppers.
9414050483_5d72f521f7_o.jpg

And my "map" 
9228688011_c51f3aa24f_o.jpg

I already made some killer lacto-fermented salsa with these little purple peppers.
9363605784_af6a59f3d5_o.jpg

Thanks for the help.  And again, this thread should in no way reflect poorly on AjiJoe... I'm the guy who mixed something up.  Just looking for help.   :)

there a cross of some kind because i never grew purple UFO they look like they where too close to my Tasmanian red chilies and that's my best guess
the fact that there still chocolate is really cool because red is a dominant gene far more than brown
if you want some real choco hab seeds ask me in the fall im going to get my hands on some more let me know around OCTOBER and there your

or i also have Jamaican hot choco,Congo brown and Senegal brown hab seeds, if you want them i would be glad to do so, my biggest issue is just this i dont have the space,money,time or energy to isolate and this is one reason why i sell my seeds so cheaply its kind of a gamble and my other source is the same as me

no problem really if you want a replacement just say the word
sorry but they are cool pods though, let us know how they taste
thanks your friend Joe

ajijoe said:
there a cross of some kind because i never grew purple UFO they look like they where too close to my Tasmanian red chilies and that's my best guess
the fact that there still chocolate is really cool because red is a dominant gene far more than brown
if you want some real choco hab seeds ask me in the fall im going to get my hands on some more let me know around OCTOBER and there your

or i also have Jamaican hot choco,Congo brown and Senegal brown hab seeds, if you want them i would be glad to do so, my biggest issue is just this i dont have the space,money,time or energy to isolate and this is one reason why i sell my seeds so cheaply its kind of a gamble and my other source is the same as me

no problem really if you want a replacement just say the word
sorry but they are cool pods though, let us know how they taste
thanks your friend Joe
Very interesting.  I love surprises.  I'll be sure to keep those peppers you mentioned in mind when I place my next order.  I really couldn't be happier with my pepper patch.  I'm going to smoke these purple hybrids and then start a fermentation.  Thanks for the info, AjiJoe.  

Back