• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The smell of charcoal

Something about the smell of charcoal makes me so happy! It's 24° outside right now and I'm sitting outside drinkin ice cold beer, listening to the radio, and I feel like it's summer with the smell of that charcoal. Ribeyes, poppers and baked potatoes tonight. No work tomorrow!

Pretty good, thrown a chunk of wood on, even better.

Jamison said:
Something about the smell of charcoal makes me so happy! It's 24° outside right now and I'm sitting outside drinkin ice cold beer, listening to the radio, and I feel like it's summer with the smell of that charcoal. Ribeyes, poppers and baked potatoes tonight. No work tomorrow!
I knew some folks could run a grill at 24F ...

I just took 30 lbs. of London Broil out of the freezer to smoke next week.
Gotta thaw the 2 chunks out and rub them up.
Then let them blend for a week...
Oak and Hickory for my smoke,Charcoal only to get things going.

Correctiom - I just looked they are 24 and 27 lb. chunks. :)

You mean eat Cape May? :rofl:

(seriously take a look)

Update for London Broil/Top Round

Finally thawed out in the Fridge.
Rubbing one down with just salt and Pepper - Maybe a bit of coriander to get a semi Pastrami type taste (yes it even works on full 15+ lb. chunks of Chuck).
The chunks I'm using though aren't as fatty as chuck...not even close.

The larger chunk I'll do the regular beef rub - salt, pepper,onion powder,garlic powder,ancho chile powder,(Maybe Mex. Oregano some sage).I usually make a mop and finish sauce with the peppers I like for heat.

I think it is better to not use the hot stuff in the rub.

Fat content etc. makes large chunks of WHATEVER get hot spots etc. due to fat chunks (fat that I want to keep on the meat).
A mop and finish sauce works just fine for me.
Fat is cooked into Burnt ends type stuff - a proper mop adds to the flavor without messing with the crunch and adds to the taste.

Besides,doing it that way allows me to HAVE to sample the smoke as it enters it's last few hours. :)

The larger chumk will have a Gazillion holes punched in it and a piece of Garlic,onion (Mex. green) and chile will be stuffed in the holes.

Rubbing down my beef tonight.and stuffing holes.

Might start smoking in 3 days or so.
Supposed to be raining here soon.
High 70's now.
As long as the wind stays calm I'm ok.

IF the wind kicks in I'll just re freeze my Meat.

Actually I've found it actually is better if you rub stuff down - let it blend- then freeze it (especially fish).

I think freezing expands everything,when it thaws it lets out water that acts like a marinade when rubbed down stuff thaws out.

Since I'm smoking stuff,I've already cured/rubbed down whatever.
Freshness isn't a concern more or less.
BUT!
Salty rubs/cures though might be - are to be considered.

If a lot of salt is in your rub,and you have to re freeze - wash it off in cold water before freezing it.
Or you'll get a salt rock tasting smoked whatever.

My smoker never runs over 300 degrees,mostly 250 or 200.
Low and slow...I like to keep it at 180 if I can.
Less than that for too long can be nasty-REAL nasty!

Back