• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Soup Thread

For some reason, I've never been a soup-maker. Well, until I joined THP. Can't explain it; it just is. At any rate, experimented with a new one tonight, and started thinking there may well be many of you who make not-just-ordinary soup and want to share. Here's tonight's creation. Sorry for the dark pic!

Ingredients:

4 Leeks, sliced thin
2 Yams (small), cut into small cubes
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
3 Cloves Garlic
3 Poblano peppers
3 Jalapeno peppers
Bell pepper
11 oz can Corn
Can Artichoke hearts
26 oz Chicken stock
1/2 Quart Half and Half
Cayenne powder
Cumin
Oregano
Mace
Sea Salt
Roasted chicken, shredded
Fresh Cilantro
6 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Melt the butter over medium-high heat, add leeks and yams, sauteé until the leeks are soft. Add the flour, and stir to combine. Add garlic and seasonings to taste (except cilantro), then the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and let cook until it starts to thicken. Reduce the heat to medium, then add everything else. Continue to cook until bubbly and the veggies are at the desired level of done-ness.

poblano.jpg

I hope you give this a try - it's good!

Love Butternut, makes great soup and fry up :)

Soups from the last couple days, dont look like much but taste real nice and go down quick :)

Basically mixed two soups together. Brown Rice, Potato, Blue Cheese, Broccoli Thai chilies.
J0pc4u6.jpg

Potato, Brown Rice, Blue Cheese, Mushroom and Thia chilies.
kLktxUf.jpg

Beer Cheese Soup:
Ingredients

1/2 cup minced yellow onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon dry mustard powdered
1/2 teaspoon red rocoto pepper powdered
1 teaspoon smoked sea salt 
10-12 ounces Swanson Chicken broth
4 cups Milk
1 (12 ounce) Beer (I used Grain Belt Premium as thats what i had, and didn't feel like going to the store. 
Generally i would use Newcastle Brown Ale. I kinda like how this turned out this time with a lighter beer though :) )
3+ cups cheeses
I used odds and ends from the cheese drawer, but original recipe calls for Sharp Cheddar :)
(I used: pieces of Gouda, Edam, Jalapeno white cheddar, Habanero-Jack, Wisconsin white Cheddar, Sharp orange deli Cheddar, )

In large kettle, cook onion in butter until soft. Blend in flour and seasonings; gradually stir in broth, milk and beer. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil and stir until thickened. Add cheese, stirring and heating until smooth.
serve; Garnished with Parmesan whisp crisps (if you don't know what these are look em up, these are fantastic), more Rocoto powder, perhaps a buttery cracker like Ritz...

w1VeuyY.jpg

4EuXamj.jpg

With and without flash

Sooo Tasty :drooling:

:cheers:

You MISS the cold, Paul? Let's trade places for the next couple of months! 

How about whipping up some cool cucumber soup? A bit o' lime, cilantro...... 

geeme said:
You MISS the cold, Paul? Let's trade places for the next couple of months! 

How about whipping up some cool cucumber soup? A bit o' lime, cilantro......

I do when we're in the peak of summer which we are in at the moment, but I'm sure I'll miss the heat once winter sets in. Doesn't everyone do this year after year, or is it just me?  :P

Think I'll pass trading places, I don't know how to shovel snow, and don't really have the urge to learn... :rofl:

Cool Cucumber soup sounds interesting, I've never had a cold soup. I may just have to try that one.

SR.

Shorerider said:

I do when we're in the peak of summer which we are in at the moment, but I'm sure I'll miss the heat once winter sets in. Doesn't everyone do this year after year, or is it just me?  :P

Think I'll pass trading places, I don't know how to shovel snow, and don't really have the urge to learn... :rofl:

Cool Cucumber soup sounds interesting, I've never had a cold soup. I may just have to try that one.

SR.

Cucumber with a bit of mint is good, cold pea soup is nice as well.  Gazpacho though, that's my jam in early August when the maters are coming in strong and the heat won't quit...

Looks great dragons :cheers: I would eat 2-3 bowls of that!!

Discovered kale last summer. Been using it everywhere in place of spinach. (Tuscan Kale) Delicious flavor.

Beef short rib soup with Yukon gold taters, red cabbage, daikon, kohlrabi, kohlrabi greens and carrots. First the short ribs were charred under the broiler then simmered in no salt added neck bone stock with pearl onions, garlic, bay leaves and a couple black cardamom. I also tried out my new "hotter" Korean pepper flakes. The meat was falling apart tender. The broth was some of the best ive ever made.

P1020481_zpsfq0jg3ce.jpg

More Asian

Kaeng Pa noodles (aka jungle curry) with Argentine red shrimp, cuttlefish balls, fresh lemon grass and bamboo shoots. This is pretty much never made with noodles and about the only fish ive seen used is catfish. I used Maesri Kaeng Par paste fried in a little coconut oil. No coconut flavor really comes through so its pretty close in terms of flavor although it tastes nothing like curry to me. Stock was made from the shrimp shells and Riken dashi powder. I used 1 small can of paste to nearly 5 cups of stock. Thats a bit weaker than the directions but it still had a fair kick to it.

P1020491_zpsp25q4vrr.jpg

Back