• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Soup Thread

For some reason, I've never been a soup-maker. Well, until I joined THP. Can't explain it; it just is. At any rate, experimented with a new one tonight, and started thinking there may well be many of you who make not-just-ordinary soup and want to share. Here's tonight's creation. Sorry for the dark pic!

Ingredients:

4 Leeks, sliced thin
2 Yams (small), cut into small cubes
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
3 Cloves Garlic
3 Poblano peppers
3 Jalapeno peppers
Bell pepper
11 oz can Corn
Can Artichoke hearts
26 oz Chicken stock
1/2 Quart Half and Half
Cayenne powder
Cumin
Oregano
Mace
Sea Salt
Roasted chicken, shredded
Fresh Cilantro
6 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Melt the butter over medium-high heat, add leeks and yams, sauteé until the leeks are soft. Add the flour, and stir to combine. Add garlic and seasonings to taste (except cilantro), then the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and let cook until it starts to thicken. Reduce the heat to medium, then add everything else. Continue to cook until bubbly and the veggies are at the desired level of done-ness.

poblano.jpg

I hope you give this a try - it's good!

Truly hope someday I'll really get some strong wind in the sail for my Asian-themed culinary adventure ...

It's hard because Danielle doesn't eat ANYTHING ...

Well, sorry - she eats beef & broccoli, or pepper steak & onions and peppers ...

That's it, no mas.

One of my favorite Thai places makes what they call Tom Yum Noodles and man is it good. Its not the authentic version made with ground pork. Its seafood based, mostly fish balls/cakes for the protein. I haven't been there in awhile but the bowl used to be huge. No coconut milkin this one. They add some to other versions though.

ATM im on the hunt for good Laksa paste or Singapore style pastes for noodle soups. Sofar, nobody locally carries the brand i know i like and its outrageously expensive online when you figure in shipping.

Yeah Tom Yum means Hot and Sour. I've had Tom Yum fried rice too.

grantmichaels said:
Truly hope someday I'll really get some strong wind in the sail for my Asian-themed culinary adventure ...

It's hard because Danielle doesn't eat ANYTHING ...

Well, sorry - she eats beef & broccoli, or pepper steak & onions and peppers ...

That's it, no mas.

make this coconut soup and some thai curry and tell her it's jamaican lol

ok i half fulfilled my promise, forgot to take a pic of the ingredients. 

4 cups of chicken stock
3 stalks of lemongrass cut in half and smashed
5 kaffir lime leaves (optional, good luck finding it unless you grow it)
handfull of cilantro
4tbs of thin soy sauce or fish sauce
2tbs of msg
2 heaping tbs of chili paste in soy bean oil (that's what makes it red)

bring the stock to a rolling boil, add everything and let it cook for 5-10 mins. Strain everything out or pick everything out, try to keep the soybean paste that might adhere to the sieve. Add in the some poached chicken or shrimp, some fresh cilantro, and the juice of 2-3 limes depending on the size, and some hot chili powder. I like to add rice to mine too

Attachments

• Resized_20170327_155413.jpeg
    Resized_20170327_155413.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 53
While on one side of the globe a season is winding up, on the other side it is just getting started. However, a time where soup can be enjoyed by both.  :P

Chicken soup with Morels (Thanks again GIP), seasoned with black pepper and smoked Cayenne powder. 
20170327_183252.jpg

SR.

I used Kansui for the noodles this time and it blows the baked baking soda method out of the water.
Noodles were perfect, springy and a tad chewy.
Chicken stock, fresh garlic, green onion, katsuboshi, ginger root, soy, mirin and a dried bhut for the soup.
The Shoyu Tamago (soy eggs) were damn good, but it looks like I cut them with a Poulan chainsaw with 4 missing teeth.

image.jpg

BigB said:
 I believe so, and bunapi are the white ones. I can confirm next time i buy them, i never really paid attention 

Tom Kha is glorified Tom yum with less fish sauce, add coconut milk, and no red chili paste in soy bean  oil.

When I make it next, i'll post it with all the ingredients. pretty easy to make, takes like 5 minutes

BigB said:
ok i half fulfilled my promise, forgot to take a pic of the ingredients. 

4 cups of chicken stock
3 stalks of lemongrass cut in half and smashed
5 kaffir lime leaves (optional, good luck finding it unless you grow it)
handfull of cilantro
4tbs of thin soy sauce or fish sauce
2tbs of msg
2 heaping tbs of chili paste in soy bean oil (that's what makes it red)

bring the stock to a rolling boil, add everything and let it cook for 5-10 mins. Strain everything out or pick everything out, try to keep the soybean paste that might adhere to the sieve. Add in the some poached chicken or shrimp, some fresh cilantro, and the juice of 2-3 limes depending on the size, and some hot chili powder. I like to add rice to mine too

very nice looking soup, but how is Kha without the Kha( Galangal aka Blue Ginger) ?

If you cant get fresh galangal get Tom Yum paste. Its already in the paste. Im lucky and my market has fresh all the time because its Thai owned. I like it even in a more basic chicken soup in place of ginger root.

The Mae Ploy and Maesri pastes are not too bad but there are lots of brands besides those two.

Grow your own lemon grass. Its so simple and nearly grows itself. I just buy 6 stalks at the market and trim off the tops and a tiny bit off the bottom. Place them in a jar of water. In a week or two you will see roots forming. You will also see fresh shoots on top.

Once you see roots and new growth on top plant them. I get enough lemon grass for an entire year for about $3.

Back