• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Soup Thread

For some reason, I've never been a soup-maker. Well, until I joined THP. Can't explain it; it just is. At any rate, experimented with a new one tonight, and started thinking there may well be many of you who make not-just-ordinary soup and want to share. Here's tonight's creation. Sorry for the dark pic!

Ingredients:

4 Leeks, sliced thin
2 Yams (small), cut into small cubes
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
3 Cloves Garlic
3 Poblano peppers
3 Jalapeno peppers
Bell pepper
11 oz can Corn
Can Artichoke hearts
26 oz Chicken stock
1/2 Quart Half and Half
Cayenne powder
Cumin
Oregano
Mace
Sea Salt
Roasted chicken, shredded
Fresh Cilantro
6 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Melt the butter over medium-high heat, add leeks and yams, sauteé until the leeks are soft. Add the flour, and stir to combine. Add garlic and seasonings to taste (except cilantro), then the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and let cook until it starts to thicken. Reduce the heat to medium, then add everything else. Continue to cook until bubbly and the veggies are at the desired level of done-ness.

poblano.jpg

I hope you give this a try - it's good!

Tomato Soup

Blitz dried Tomato, Almonds, Brown rice and habaneros, then soaked with warm water for an hour, hot water would go quicker. Add fresh thyme and oregano with a touch of turmeric cooked for 30 min and added a tbs peanut butter to round off.

1/2 cup Org dried turkish tomatoes (very fruity, double the amount for regular ones)
1/2 cup Org Almonds (Italian, strong perfume)
1/4 cup Org brown rice
Chicken stock
Thyme
Oregano
Turmeric
peanut butter
Habaneros
Porccini mushrooms
Sliced ginger

p4sKgAb.jpg

ykcVCqN.jpg

FJ4ycEJ.jpg

I made a small pot of black bean soup for lunch since we're in the Arctic for a few days. I fried some 1" pieces of bacon, took some out to crispy fry a few pieces for toppings, returned soft bacon to the pot and sauteed onions and bell peppers, added chicken stock and seasoned with Cavenders, seas salt and cayenne pepper. Cooked that for a few minutes to meld the flavors, blitzed 2 cans of black beans and added that and another can with whole beans to the pot, simmered for 15 minutes. Toasted french bread and topped with garlic butter. Served the bowl with sour cream, scallions, bacon and cilantro.
100_1382.JPG

I love black bean soups!!

Black lentils are killer to help thicken but they aint cheap either. Commonly available lentils work fine too. One thing i love in mine is a mild hab flavor and aroma. Use something  like a Trinidad perfume or any milder hab.

Rairdog said:
Made some Tuscano Soup with a lil Rocoto

Im getting started on mine today. Picked up the kale and yukons yesterday.

Does 1 cup of heavy cream sound about right for 1 quart of chicken stock? I think that is about what im seeing for the OG zuppa toscana copycat recipes.

I do like black bean soup better. The potato soup was nice for a change though.

I might try this one next and i do have dry cannelinni beans too. I really prefer dry beans when making soup.
https://sharedappetite.com/recipes/rustic-tuscan-style-sausage-white-bean-and-kale-soup/
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound Italian sweet sausage, casing removed
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 large carrots, finely diced
  • 1 large potato, finely diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 (15 ounce)cans white cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 bunches kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
  • 64 oz. good quality low-sodium chicken stock
  • Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
  • 1 loaf baguette bread
  • Gruyere and Asiago Cheese, shredded
IMG_1429-3.jpg

They are hard to find. Goya sells them in both canned and dried. Great White or Small White work just fine as a replacement.

I think im going to add a little bit of chickpeas to my "Tuscan" bean soup also.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Man this is easy to make.
4ezfLZZ.jpg

ahpXp2f.jpg

Looks awesome!.   Missed your question.  I usually don't use cream....too rich for me.  I use milk with a little flour/butter roux and better than bullion.

I have thought about adding white beans but it doesn't seem right with a milk/cream base.

Next for me is cabbage, potato and smoked sausage soup next with a curry/turmeric base.

I wont be using cream with the bean soup either. Fat Free Half and Half works great too. For this one i used 1 cup of heavy cream but thats added to 32oz of chicken stock and 2 cups of water also. Thats not all that bad considering how much stock and water is used. My sausage was extremely lean.

1 Lg Russet pealed and diced...these will break down for the starch in your soup so you want them pealed
1 Lg Yukon Gold or red diced...i like the skins on these
1 Med onion chopped
1 Tbs minced garlic
1-1.5lb of Italian sausage
About 2-3 cups of kale torn into bite sized pieces (stems removed)
32oz of chicken stock
2 Cups of water
1 Cup of heavy whipping cream
1 Tsp Better Than Bullion (optional)
1 Tsp MSG (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4-1/2 Tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
About 2 Tbs of bacon crumbles...added near the end or as a garnish.

A little olive oil and pork fat drippings to saute the onions. I used about 1 TBS of each. Saute the onions until clear then add the pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic. Add precooked and drained sausage. Cook a couple more minutes.

Add the chicken stock and water. Bring it to a boil. Add the diced russets. Once it returns to a light boil wait about 10-15min before adding the yukons and reduce heat to a good simmer. Stir the russets while cooking to help them break down a little bit too.

When the yukons are about done add the heavy cream and the kale. Careful not to get the cream too hot.

Garnish with bacon bits and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano...NOT that junk in a tube.

Actualy I found when blitzing the white beans you dont need cream, the beans are very rich and taste like cream. Nuts work well too with the beans.

I love the way beans taste when they release enough starch. Ham and beans or black bean soups are just killer when cooked right. I use black refried beans when i need to cheat or mash some that i cooked. When i make sambar the lentils mostly melt away into the stock. Their flavor pairs well with beans too. Lightly roasting lentils and grind them into a powder is a great base for sambar masala.

I also use potato starch for some stuff but one day on a whim i tried Idahoan instant mashed taters. They work great to thicken some stuff like pot pie filling and they have zero salt added. I was going to use them in the zuppa but i had a large russet leftover. Diced russets pretty much dissolve away into the stock within a few minutes at a low-medium boil.

Green peas are very filling I found, grind up some dry organic ones, I've even used them in a smoothy lol. Beans are very versatile. I have some yellow taters I need to use up, not keen on them, mealy I lie them more solid, but they do thicken up soups when they disperse.

I use Yukon Golds or reds for pretty much everything now. Only time i even buy russets is for classic baked taters or skins. I love the Yukons though roasted with rosemary on a bed of onions.

I have a hard time going without meat but when i cut back, i always go for the legumes. Sambar with some naan is about the most satisfying "veggie" meal ive ever had.

Great Northern Beans and Chickpea Soup
Did a pot of beans yesterday, was awesome :)

-GNB
-Chickpeas
-Potato mashed to thicken soup (one)
-Onions
-Brown Mushrooms
-Ghost pepper med size
-Orange Habanero two
-Smoked paprika
-Chicken stock
-Whey liquid (leftover from my cheese making) add a bit of cream/milk if you want.

Beans and Chickpeas from dried, once hydrated add to PC and cook 15 min max, cook all for 45min in pot and leave potato near the end and cook another 15 min once mashed and added.

S4AzikU.jpg
NxwDJVr.jpg
WITD2Wd.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Actualy I found when blitzing the white beans you dont need cream, the beans are very rich and taste like cream. Nuts work well too with the beans.

I cooked the snot out of some Great White Northerns until they were breaking apart. Actually reheated them today with some ground beef and noticed they got pretty hot before lowering the heat.

If you closed your eyes you would almost swear it was SoS made with ground beef. Salt, pepper and a little red pepper powder was added at serving. The flavor was so close to a "creamed" ground beef it was crazy.

Back