• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Soup Thread

For some reason, I've never been a soup-maker. Well, until I joined THP. Can't explain it; it just is. At any rate, experimented with a new one tonight, and started thinking there may well be many of you who make not-just-ordinary soup and want to share. Here's tonight's creation. Sorry for the dark pic!

Ingredients:

4 Leeks, sliced thin
2 Yams (small), cut into small cubes
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
3 Cloves Garlic
3 Poblano peppers
3 Jalapeno peppers
Bell pepper
11 oz can Corn
Can Artichoke hearts
26 oz Chicken stock
1/2 Quart Half and Half
Cayenne powder
Cumin
Oregano
Mace
Sea Salt
Roasted chicken, shredded
Fresh Cilantro
6 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Melt the butter over medium-high heat, add leeks and yams, sauteé until the leeks are soft. Add the flour, and stir to combine. Add garlic and seasonings to taste (except cilantro), then the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and let cook until it starts to thicken. Reduce the heat to medium, then add everything else. Continue to cook until bubbly and the veggies are at the desired level of done-ness.

poblano.jpg

I hope you give this a try - it's good!

looks amazing, i've got a great white bean soup recipe for the pressure cooker. seeing yours, i want to ad some lil smokies sausages to it. too bad my other half is a vegetarian. i'll have to add it in later 

ShowMeDaSauce said:
This is for sure one of the best tasting white bean soups ive had.

4mMKlbt.jpg

h5j4gkm.jpg

VQc7raP.jpg

Well its 4c this morning and right now only upped to 6c, so cold day.
Made Yellow Split Pea Porccini Mushroom Noodle Soup.

Soaked peas first, then in a pressure cooker with the Mushrooms, then in separate pot for Kamut Noodles. Spiced with fresh Cayenne, added tomato and basil in their too with Miso for salt.

x5TbIx7.jpg

KQ3KpcJ.jpg

karUbjf.jpg

I finished my version of Mexican pork and beans soup but it's more like a chili really. The flavor is amazing. I'm gonna use Mole next time I make a regular chili. This has so much more depth of chile flavor compared to dried spices.

Ancho Mole marinaded pork butt cut into 1-2" chunks marinated overnight.

I added dried pinto beans and meat to the pot then topped it with water and added chicken bouillon powder and fired it up.

I even found some epazote and added a little, this isn't for everybody. At first I could smell a slight kerosene smell but after cooked it faded.

Simmered for a few hours till the meat was fall apart tender and the broth thickened.

Served with onions, diced tomatoes and seasoned with my pepper salt. I ran out of cilantro so it could be better, maybe served with quesadillas.

Back