• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Soup Thread

For some reason, I've never been a soup-maker. Well, until I joined THP. Can't explain it; it just is. At any rate, experimented with a new one tonight, and started thinking there may well be many of you who make not-just-ordinary soup and want to share. Here's tonight's creation. Sorry for the dark pic!

Ingredients:

4 Leeks, sliced thin
2 Yams (small), cut into small cubes
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
3 Cloves Garlic
3 Poblano peppers
3 Jalapeno peppers
Bell pepper
11 oz can Corn
Can Artichoke hearts
26 oz Chicken stock
1/2 Quart Half and Half
Cayenne powder
Cumin
Oregano
Mace
Sea Salt
Roasted chicken, shredded
Fresh Cilantro
6 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Melt the butter over medium-high heat, add leeks and yams, sauteƩ until the leeks are soft. Add the flour, and stir to combine. Add garlic and seasonings to taste (except cilantro), then the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and let cook until it starts to thicken. Reduce the heat to medium, then add everything else. Continue to cook until bubbly and the veggies are at the desired level of done-ness.

poblano.jpg

I hope you give this a try - it's good!

One year I tried using purple carrots in my turkey soup. Won't do that again! Even though it tasted fine, the noodles, potatoes, and broth turned a very unappetizing purple color. :rofl:
I am very picky about the texture of veggies in soup - most people WAY overcook them, IMO. So depending upon the particular veggie, I will either add it later than some might, or I will cook it separately and then toss it in towards the end. I wonder if you did that - cook the carrots separately - if it wouldn't keep the other ingredients from turning too purple.

If that's a good dark Porter or Stout in the glass I bet a cup os so of that might have been a nice flavor in the chowder

WOW SL - that looks awesome! And I'm going to go check my kitchen cabinets, as I KNOW you swiped one of my cut-glass bowls! (LOL - kidding!) Actually, I am double-jealous right now. I went to an Italian restaurant with a friend for dinner tonight, and was excited because they had linguini with clam sauce. I don't make it any more because my son became allergic to clams a handful of years back. But alas, this Italian-run Italian restaurant just doesn't make it like I'm used to - it was actually rather dry (bleh.) So to come home and find your home-made clam soup waiting........ just color me green!

Was it a red or a white sauce. I love linguini with both red and white but I guess I have to say that my preference is the red clam sauce.

Was it a red or a white sauce. I love linguini with both red and white but I guess I have to say that my preference is the red clam sauce.
White. It was actually more like they just sprinkled some parmesan on the noodles then dumped some clams out of a can onto it, rather than making a sauce. Such a shame.

I made some Asian spicy crab noodle soup yesterday. Its kind of like a Maryland crab soup with noodles.

100_9808.jpg

100_9807.jpg

Yeah, two cans of crab broth, crab paste from the Asian store, red bell pepper, corn, onion, cilantro, Tbs of naga morich puree, claw crab meat, somen noodles.

If that's a good dark Porter or Stout in the glass I bet a cup os so of that might have been a nice flavor in the chowder

BotaBox cabernet :)

Thanks geeme. The bad thing about making the cream-style soups is you ca't see the ingredients like a broth soup. I'm just happy my son loves clam chowder. Many moons ago, when I was the cook at a day care center, fresh made clam chowder was one of the kid's favorite soups.

JayT, that crab soup sounds really yummy. That would be a good soup to have at work on a cooooooold jobsite.

I was going to do the chicken tortilla soup with pumpkin again today, but came home to find my son's been snacking on the chicken ~ ~ ~ as in it's all gone! Ah well, will get another tomorrow!

kids eating the ingredients slated for dinner.....been there!

:cool:

Your kids eat your husband???? :lol:

Nah.... we all know husbands are typically just one of the kids.... ;o)

Just made my chicken gnocci mushroom soup again, and had a little whoops! with the paprika...... soup's a bit on the pink side!

haha,,,i find a nother thread,and its the same people. well i guess everyone likes to cook. and it seems also to drink :drunk:

G No Pics? It didn't happen! I want to see your soup pink!

sicman... Didn't I tell you you'd fit right in here? Seems my prophecy is realized.

Soup time again. I can't 100% tell you what's in it, as far as seasonings go, because it was a collaborative effort. But this is what I know went in:

Roasted yukon gold potatoes and roasted sweet onion, red onion, butternut squash, bell pepper, poblano pepper, zucchini, yellow summer squash, rocoto, mushrooms, sea salt, garlic, cumin, bay leaf, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, flour, chicken stock, reisling, and roasted chicken. Good combo, especially as we face the temps dropping and snow coming. Brrr!

kitchen.jpg

Edit: Like I said, this was a collaborative effort. I had some ingredients ear-marked for the soup, but also threw in some veggies left from the pizza TD. Then my son and I both contributed to the seasoning. I had also purchased a quart bottle of half-and-half, as I had the intention of making it a creamy soup. However, my son dumped in the reisling before I added the half-and-half, and I ended up deciding not to use it. When I say "dumped in", I mean just that - he put probably 3/4 of an unopened bottle into the soup.

Geeme,Reading the ingredients was enough to make my mouth water.I'm sure you added the slow cooked lovin' to make this a great dish.Must have tasted great,perfect for a cold day!This is soup/stew pot weather for sure.

Back