• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Soup Thread

For some reason, I've never been a soup-maker. Well, until I joined THP. Can't explain it; it just is. At any rate, experimented with a new one tonight, and started thinking there may well be many of you who make not-just-ordinary soup and want to share. Here's tonight's creation. Sorry for the dark pic!

Ingredients:

4 Leeks, sliced thin
2 Yams (small), cut into small cubes
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
3 Cloves Garlic
3 Poblano peppers
3 Jalapeno peppers
Bell pepper
11 oz can Corn
Can Artichoke hearts
26 oz Chicken stock
1/2 Quart Half and Half
Cayenne powder
Cumin
Oregano
Mace
Sea Salt
Roasted chicken, shredded
Fresh Cilantro
6 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Melt the butter over medium-high heat, add leeks and yams, sauteƩ until the leeks are soft. Add the flour, and stir to combine. Add garlic and seasonings to taste (except cilantro), then the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and let cook until it starts to thicken. Reduce the heat to medium, then add everything else. Continue to cook until bubbly and the veggies are at the desired level of done-ness.

poblano.jpg

I hope you give this a try - it's good!

Daughter had surgery for TMJ today and needed something soft to eat for dinner tonight. Now, when ever a member of my family is not feeling well this is what we want. In fact we call it the family Penicillin. So,
Griswold Penicillin or Baked Potato Soup

Real simple ingredients, Taters and an Onion
5cddd528.jpg

Peel
0b8fbdfd.jpg

Slice and into the pot. Cover with water.
8eef4732.jpg

and boil till taters are falling apart.
Mean while slice up some Bacon and fry till crisp
1f2f5ea7.jpg

Take the ends off of some Jalapenos and chop
2acb525f.jpg

cd6c517c.jpg

When taters are ready smash them and add butter and Half and Half till it's the righ consistency
2920162d.jpg

Serve
Soup, Sharp Cheader Cheese, Jalapenos, Bacon and Sour Cream
b35e2662.jpg

98a7565a.jpg

Damn that is good for what ails ya.

Cheers
RMEdit, sorry TB not Taco but still damn good!

Damn, RM, that is one SEXY bowl of soup!

But almost more than that, see you have TITO's in pic2 - yum! Did you manage to try any of that in the soup? ;)

Looks great, flobro!!

Hope the little princess is recovering nicely!!!

Your family always holds a special place to your soflo bretheren.

I'll bet a bowl of that tater soup would cure just about anything!!!!

Time to dig for the ladle and dust off the crocks, lets resurrect this thread and keep it going through the season (s)...

IMG_4361.jpg

Ingredients: from L to R
Mexican Squash, Vadilia Onion, Avacado, Chayote, Green Onions, Squash Bloosoms, Tomatoes, Lime, Corn Tortillas, Home made Chicken Stock, Beer, Tempura Batter, Bone-in Chicken Breast, Carrots, Yellow Cayenne, Hot Hatch Peppers, Cilantro, Mexican Crema, Salt, Garlic

IMG_4402.jpg

Mix Tempura Mix with beer, I also add an additional 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and an egg white. Place batter in fridge until needed.

IMG_4397.jpg

Roast Hatch Peppers on the grill until blistered........set aside
Place chicken breasts in a roaster and place in a 325 degree oven for 50 minutes......let rest outsde of oven for 30 minutes

IMG_4405.jpg

Chop Squash, cut Corn Tortillas, slice Scallions, Peppers and Cilantro. Chop Tomatoes, Carrots, Onions and Chayote. Dice Garlic.
Saute Onion and Garlic for 5 min. Add Carrots, Tomatoes....continue the saute for 10 minutes,

IMG_4428.jpg

Add Yellow Cayenne and Stock, bring to a boil and skim off any unwanteds...Add Squash and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes

IMG_4424.jpg

Meanwhile after chicken has rested, shred up into chunks (I swear I have asbestos fingers......ha) add a Shot of Tequila
to keep it moist and happy...............pour one for me!

IMG_4419.jpg

Deep fry corn strips.........Season with Salt and Cayenne Powder....set aside..............after trying a few...............yum

IMG_4431.jpg

Tempura batter and deep fry the Squash Bloosoms.......set aside

Chicken Tortilla Soup with a side of Tempura Squash Bloosoms

IMG_4446.jpg

Here's Saturday's grub. Chicken Tortilla Soup garnished with Avacado, Queso Fresca, Tortilla Strips and a side of Squash Bloosoms.
Backed up with an ice cold Carta Blanche...................( The 1st Cerveza Fria that I had in Acapulco back in the 70's)

Greg

Since it is pouring down rain and ruining any chance of outdoor cooking today. I am postponing the bbq and beer can chicken for now and whipped up a pot of Cajun/Creole She-Crab Soup

Ingredients:
butter and flour for a blonde roux
diced celery, onion, bell pepper, carrot, and jalapeno
roasted garlic
chicken broth
heavy cream
2lbs crab meat (I used a can each of lump and claw)
crab boil
sherry
worcestershire sauce
Louisiana hot sauce
lemon juice
white pepper
Old Bay seasoning
nutmeg
agave nectar
asiago ciabatta croutons for serving

made the roux, sauteed the veggies

100_0772.jpg

then I added the seasonings, sherry, worcestershire, hot sauce, garlic, crab boil, lemon juice, and chicken stock. Everything brought to a boil and then simmered for about 20min.

100_0773.jpg

next add the heavy cream and the crab check for reseasoning. This is where I added the nutmeg and agave nectar. I thought it needed a little sweetness as it was a tad salty.

100_0774.jpg

Simmer for another half hour or so and serve.

100_0775.jpg

Not by any means a tradtional version of the soup, but I like it this way.

I admit it.

I don't like soup.

The closest I will come is a chowder.

I'd hit that though.

With some fresh flour torts and a bottle of hot sauce.

Save me some.

Mmmmm...... that sounds really good. I've been pondering soup lately, myself. Think I'm going to go with something Thai-ish fairly soon. But yeah, it popped back up into the 90's the past few days, so it will be a while yet. Though this is Cleveland..... one never knows.

TB - Don't be a hater! ;) Would love to see you post some chowder when the temps cool down a bit out your way.

Ain't no hater here G.

Forecast is for 106f - 108f through the rest of the week.

Hot soups and chowders ain't wass happnin' right now.

Back