• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Spicy Meatless Thread... (ya I went there)

I know going into this that this thread is going to get meat bombed... but there's gotta be at least a couple other people on this forum that have herbivore tendencies.  Lately almost everything I have been cooking has been meat-free unless its for the dogs.  I've been toying with recipes and finding ways to get the flavors of dishes that usually have animal muscle as the main feature.  Hopefully some of y'all do the same from time to time and we can swap and share some spicy veggie recipes. I've held off on making this thread for a while because I know the ridicule that will inevitably come, but I guess its better to clog my own thread with my hippy food rather than all the other cooking threads. 

So here goes, last night per request I made some arroz congri and tostones.  

For the rice and beans, I chop up a green and red bell pepper, 2 onions and about 4-5 cloves of garlic. Cook up that in the pot before adding the rice and beans and sufficient water.  Season it up, and pretty much just leave it on the stove for a while.  I don't have any fresh pods yet so I seasoned my batch up with some smoked naga powder for good measure.  The tostones start by cooking them a bit on each side before pulling them from the pan.
q9taqF1.jpg

After the tostones are cooked and pulled from the pan you gotta squish em dip em in cold water and throw em back in the pan, for the second round of frying. When you pull them out you can season them with whatever you want, I like to make a garlicky spicy sauce concoction to dip them in.  Also, make yourself a guava-lime rum drink for good measure. 
zSz2Jqj.jpg

Eventually, after a long long time (especially if you use brown rice), your arroz congri will be ready.  
xCplazi.jpg

Happy vegetarian eating! (I also ate left overs this morning covered in cheese and a fried egg)

Let's see what you got....

Thanks for doing them, and providing valuable feedback on how they turned out.

I am definitely going to give some a "go" in the very near future.

Meat-less-ball Sandwich!

TjBxI0j.jpg

I had to squish/break the balls down a bit to get it to fit in my toaster oven. Smoked provolone on the bottom, shredded mozz on top. 
The balls tasted much better today, so maybe that wait period is the key for the flavor meld.  The recipe said best overnight to let it sit and I only gave it 2.5 hrs... 

I have a slight addiction to chile rellenos over chilaquiles.  So good. You can come over and cook those for me anytime.

I made this last night nothing fancy... cream of asparagus soup with smoked red hab powder and some pao de queijo.  The pao needed more queijo and a few shakes of the powder IMO, I'll post the recipe once I'm happy with the results.
FNlo3kn.jpg

I've never been to  chi town, I heard it's nice...i think you'll be here long before I go visit chicago, though I might be in cleveland when you're here. When are you here again? I love these rellenos, totally addictive and that batter, wow. You gotta try it

Rawkstah said:
I have a slight addiction to chile rellenos over chilaquiles.  So good. You can come over and cook those for me anytime.

OMG!

I LOVE chile rellenos and chilaquiles, which I eat like once a week.

Chile rellenos OVER chilaquiles just blew my mind!

Okay, but do you still do they eggs? Because I eat my chilaquiles with two sunny side up eggs on top!

The Hot Pepper said:
OMG!

Okay, but do you still do they eggs? Because I eat my chilaquiles with two sunny side up eggs on top!
most definitely still do the eggs! 

the place i order from doesn't have it on the menu, so I order 2 chile relleno tacos (the chile relleno dinner is a little under $10 and tacos are like $2.50) and a chilaquiles (salsa verde) order.  They give me the food and then watch me dissect the taco, I'm pretty sure they're thinking "silly gringa, we have a chile relleno plate with rice and beans for $4.25 more than those two tacos" And then they see me put it on the chilaquiles... and I hope they're thinking "Genius... we should add this to our menu"

The Hot Pepper said:
OMG!

You of all peep's know the rule.

No pics.

Never happened.

I have pics in my phone you bastige.

The chilaquiles I get at brunch. The green herb (at top) is epazote.
chilaquiles.jpg

The chile relleno taco I get from the food cart. (Yes, it is that big. It's $6 and takes up a whole take-out container, and is on a burrito size corn tortilla. There's a bed of yellow rice under it.)
chile_relleno_taco.jpg

Now I need to take the taco from the food cart to the restaurant and combine them Rawk style. Do you think they'll mind? LOL.

I think you might need a to-go bag. make a 2nd doggie bag and send it to me ^_^ actually, this sounds genius. I'll have to tryi it myself. An a chili rellenos and rice in a taco? Sounds a odd yet delicious war of textures

That relleno taco is huge and I am proud to say I eat it like a taco. Some fools here would eat it like a meal. Forkers!!!!!

Rawk, post your relleno taco, curious to see a chi-style. And post your guerrilla style meal hack, lol.

I think I might get one tonight.

I wanted to go out and grab it last night, but I waited for the dude get home from work before dinnering, and by then I was not in the mood to put pants or a bra back on.  #firstworldproblems amirite?   

Anyway I picked up this frozen burek that was stuffed with feta and spinach last time I was at the grocery store and ate that with some "Hot" Ajvar.  Burek is like flakey bread, kind of like a spanakoita, it doesn't necessarily need to be filled with anything, but I'd say filled with cheese is most common.  They fill them with all sorts of stuff, meats, potatoes, fruit... (at a serbian deli I got one once they filled it with fried pork fat.... it was good).  Ajvar is a red pepper spread from Macedonia.  I get the "hot" one, but its not very hot at all.  Once of my first uses for powders from this site was to spice up my ajvar!  

OvscbbK.jpg

I dunno when I'll get to the taqueria, busy weekend and I'm out of town next week.  But next time I get them I will snap a picture... It doesn't look as pretty as yours though... the taqueria is your standard hole in the wall, under the train tracks place, what it lacks in appearance and plating it makes up for in flavor!

Back