• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Spicy Meatless Thread... (ya I went there)

I know going into this that this thread is going to get meat bombed... but there's gotta be at least a couple other people on this forum that have herbivore tendencies.  Lately almost everything I have been cooking has been meat-free unless its for the dogs.  I've been toying with recipes and finding ways to get the flavors of dishes that usually have animal muscle as the main feature.  Hopefully some of y'all do the same from time to time and we can swap and share some spicy veggie recipes. I've held off on making this thread for a while because I know the ridicule that will inevitably come, but I guess its better to clog my own thread with my hippy food rather than all the other cooking threads. 

So here goes, last night per request I made some arroz congri and tostones.  

For the rice and beans, I chop up a green and red bell pepper, 2 onions and about 4-5 cloves of garlic. Cook up that in the pot before adding the rice and beans and sufficient water.  Season it up, and pretty much just leave it on the stove for a while.  I don't have any fresh pods yet so I seasoned my batch up with some smoked naga powder for good measure.  The tostones start by cooking them a bit on each side before pulling them from the pan.
q9taqF1.jpg

After the tostones are cooked and pulled from the pan you gotta squish em dip em in cold water and throw em back in the pan, for the second round of frying. When you pull them out you can season them with whatever you want, I like to make a garlicky spicy sauce concoction to dip them in.  Also, make yourself a guava-lime rum drink for good measure. 
zSz2Jqj.jpg

Eventually, after a long long time (especially if you use brown rice), your arroz congri will be ready.  
xCplazi.jpg

Happy vegetarian eating! (I also ate left overs this morning covered in cheese and a fried egg)

Let's see what you got....

I'll post a picture next time I use it.  I dig it. then again I dig Trader Joe's Soyrizo too

Made a batch of vegan protein snicker bars tonight.  Nothing spicy, but I took a picture with my new phone
lowSOQl.jpg

the nougat is unsweetened almond butter mixed with vegan protein powder, coconut flour, and maple syrup
the caramel is dates, a spoonful of coconut oil, and some salt
I topped it with peanuts, pecans, hemp seeds, chia seed, and coconut flakes
then drizzled melted dark chocolate on top.

Rawkstah said:
I'll post a picture next time I use it.  I dig it. then again I dig Trader Joe's Soyrizo too

Made a batch of vegan protein snicker bars tonight.  Nothing spicy, but I took a picture with my new phone
lowSOQl.jpg

the nougat is unsweetened almond butter mixed with vegan protein powder, coconut flour, and maple syrup
the caramel is dates, a spoonful of coconut oil, and some salt
I topped it with peanuts, pecans, hemp seeds, chia seed, and coconut flakes
then drizzled melted dark chocolate on top.

No fair posting sweet stuff!

Even hard core meat eaters eat that stuff like candy.

Uhm..

Because its like candy.

You Rawk anyhow!

Lebanese food is one of my favs, pretty easy to make a meat free meal, although I do recommend trying soujek if you are ever at a lebanese place.  I was craving falafel so Wednesday night I soaked some chickpeas overnight and last night I just went crazy with the food prep. 

Raw chickpeas ground up with garlic, onion, cumin, cilantro, parsley, turmeric, cardamom, salt, pepper, and smoked red hab powder, sat for an 2.5 hours to meld the flavors up. 
vXni7iN.jpg

Whole wheat laffa bread dough
HAEmehS.jpg

the fixin's.  the pink stuff is homemade spicy pickled turnips (store bought uses artificial dyes! ew! just use a beet!), the red stuff is some harrisa i threw together, tabouli and hummus made with black seed oil and more smoked powder, and the white stuff is toum, a garlic sauce. the stone i have is only big enough to cook one laffa at a time so that took a while.
bgQQPIV.jpg

the inside of the falafel
LtK2Moi.jpg

blurry prewrapped picture
szkP92K.jpg

omnomnomnomnom
VsxVn2K.jpg

The best falafels I have had are green inside, not yellow like a hush puppy. Yours look like they have that right amount of parsley. Perfection!!!!

I used fresh cilantro instead of ground coriander so that makes it a bit more green, the yellow in these comes from the fresh turmeric I grated up. I was surprised they weren't even more yellow actually. But the key to the good wrap is the pickled turnips!

We had friends over the other night for dinner. The non vegans had Carnitas but my wifes girl friend has MS and is Vegan. I made her tacos with all the non meat ingredients. Cauliflower, roasted pablanos, zucchini , onions , habanero ect. Turned out pretty darn good for not having meat in it. I even had a taco made out of it. Sauteed the veggies in water and white wine since she can't have oils and just used reg packet taco mix. Her husband was excited because he usually eats vegan with her and was first time he had bacon in two years let alone a carnita sauteed in bacon lard and topped with the bacon. Forgot to take a picture of finished product 

MEAT BOMB!!!!!!!!!!
meatbomb.jpg
Rawkstah said:
I used fresh cilantro instead of ground coriander so that makes it a bit more green, the yellow in these comes from the fresh turmeric I grated up. I was surprised they weren't even more yellow actually. But the key to the good wrap is the pickled turnips!

I agree the pickled element is the key! Cornichons are great too. Pickled cabbage, onions, jalapenos... etc.

Ohhh yeahhhh! BACON!!! for me The best meatless dish is from @D3monic!!! I didint know in USA bacon is not smoked pork.

kibaumm said:
Ohhh yeahhhh! BACON!!! for me The best meatless dish is from @D3monic!!! I didint know in USA bacon is not smoked pork.

Lol the bacon didn't go into the vegan dish. That was all for us Carnivorous. 

Green chile soup with black beans, cannelini beans, and hominy. Topped with pan fried soyrizo, aguacate, tomato, and a squeeze of lime. Added hot sauce for an extra kick, blue corn tortilla chips for crunch, and had to accompany it with tecate and some of this Hornitos my cousin gave me.
SMBMrxQ.jpg

Back