• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Sweetest Hot Pepper You've Ever Had

I'm already looking to next season for seed procurement (my seed collection was literally thrown in the trash, so I'm starting over, but that's a different story entirely).

What I really want to know is, what's the sweetest hot pepper that you know of? I love my hots (I am particularly fond of my yellow bhuts this year), but I love my sweets, too (Nardello's, Kaleidoscopes, etc.).

Now I want something that is truly sweet with some pop, too. I'm growing Hawaiian Sweet Hots this year, but haven't had any luck with the producing any fruit yet. Are there others that are *truly* sweet and hot. Not 'citrusy', per se, but sweet?

SOME OF THE AJI SPECIES ARE LIKE THAT SUCH AS AJI YELLOW THE FLAVOR IS FABULOUS

I HAVE SEEDS FOR FREE WANT SOME??

LET ME KNOW

THANKS YOUR FRIEND JOE

I just had a few Bondas and Ajis ripen up and I was overjoyed at the sweet, fruity flavors. The Bondas were a bit sweeter and MUCH hotter than the Ajis, with a really nifty tutti frutti flavor that rapidly gives way to the heat.

My input would be for Szentesi, a hungarian pepper, it IS sweet, but not a lot of heat. Just enough to tell the heat is present.

Best;
bluey

Thanks for all the input, y'all! Sounds like I have at least a few to put on the list for next year. If anyone has more, I'm all ears.

I'd vote for Fatalii - they have that initial pineapple tastiness before the heat kicks in. But they're certainly hotter than they are sweet. I've grown Hawaii Sweet Hots before and they are just OK IMO. Slightly more flavor than a Japone or Cayenne, but hardly sweet. I can send you some of those seeds if you want them. I've yet to grow the Bonda ma Jacques, but I plan to.

Good Datils are.

Yoda has arrived! ;)

Thanks for the continuing feedback, y'all. I'm always updating my 'have to' list. Some years my attrition just works out to where I don't have what I used to have. Kinda like that this year. I really like Onza Rojas for drying, but only kept one start alive.

I'm aiming for fewer varieties next year, with more plants per variety.

I also have given up on any of the Chinense 'seasoning' peppers. I just don't like them without the heat. I like Annums for sweet and Chinenses for hot. Although Baccatums seem to be the only species that can consistently take the heat here.

I have SO much to learn.

The sweetest I've had has to be a 'Ball Chilli', but they aren't particularly hot... there's a little heat in the placentra around the cluster of seeds at the top but nowhere else.

Back