• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The timeless George Carlin

I started listening to Carlin when I was 11-12. My dad had a cassette. After that, I collected all of the Carlin cassettes that I could find. I listened to him all the time...including when I slept. So through osmosis, I absorbed a lot of great material. I saw him live in California in the 80's-90's, and saw him 3 times in Michigan. Got a great shirt from one that I still have. Carlin on the front and the back reads: "Simon Says, Go F**k Yourself." not censored.
Gotta love the headlines:
"Up at the lake today, police arrested a one-armed man who was bothering the other boaters by continuously rowing in a circle."
Weather:
"Tonight's forecast....DARK! Continued darkness through the night, followed by widely scattered light in the early morning."

Man, I miss him.

Thanks, Voodoo for the thread.

The world is truly a worse place without him. We need his criticisms. I'm torn between being bothered that he isn't here to call everyone out on the ridiculousness of the world today and between being sort of glad that he doesn't have to see it.

I'm usually not affected by the deaths of celebrities outside of selfish reasons (awww! No more Chris Farley movies? Nooooo!) but the loss of George fucked with me for a solid week. He was more than a comedian. He was a modern day philosopher.

Back