• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

sandwiches The Ultimate Tuna Steak Sandwich

This i one of my best creations, using a 1 inch thick tuna steak, nice and pink, slicing off any dark red or purplish sections. This sandwich is delicious with or without garlic.

coat each side of the steak the same with: extra virgin olive oil ( first cold pressed) 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 3/4 tsp thyme, 3/4 tsp basil ( 1/2 tsp minced garlic) press ingredients into steak with the back of a spoon let sit for about 20 mins , while grill temp is on its way up to 600 deg. Having a mister ( something you can put olive oil in that you can pump up and spray ) is a great help as you can spray the steak occasionally to keep the outside moist. At 600 deg cook side 1-- 4 mins, side 2--4 mins and side 1 again 1 min, remove from grill. Tuna steak will continue to cook on the plate.

The Sauce: 2 parts mayo, 1 part grey poupon. add grey p to mayo until you lose the mayo taste and you barely taste the grey p. Then add a couple dashes of tabasco sauce and some parsley flakes.

Red onion, sliced in rings ( important, chopped is not the same)

Add all to a grill kaiser roll, and crack open a beer.

Master this sandwich and you'll be the envy of the neighborhood.. :):)

Ah-Ha . . . Ahi Tuna (Yellowfin) is my favorite in the Tuna family. I spent a few winters in Los Barriles, BCS Mexico in the early 80's and did my fair share of fishing for Tuna, Sierra and Dorado. We would cook our Tuna steaks in a similar way but only about 2 minutes on each side with the grill on full heat. They would be rare but warm in the center and almost blackened on the outside. I kept them well basted with an olive oil / lime juice and basil, cilantro,onion and serrano pepper concoction we made in the blender to a pourable consistency where it would stay on the steaks without running off.

We would cook a complete grill full and the leftovers were turned into Burritos the next day.

I will have to try adding some Gray Poupon next time I make some at home. Never thought of the Gray Poupon before but it wasn't available anyway in BCS then unless you knew someone who brought it down with them.

Sounds like I'm going to have to break some Ahi out of the freezer now . . . I'm hungry!

Butch

will do, grill lites up next month, its still a little to chili right now. I'll bring the grill to the nutterz factory and do a You Tube commercial showing the tune steak recipe and the factory I built with the equipment I pretty much got off of Ebay.

That does sound Good! I like my Tuna absolutely rare, fresh is key.

One slight variation that was good on a similar one I made, was to put some finely sliced roasted red bell mixed into the mayo.

rare especially sushi, I like steaks a little rare in the center, you don't have to cook it all the whole way if you don't want to, the key to this sandwich is really the sauce, which is also good for dipping steamed shrimp ( steamed with old bay seasoning)oh, and i almost forgot, the beer helps too!!

Back