• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

The UNLUCKY SQUIRREL made by scott Zalkind owner of LDHS

Alright i bought a bottle of scotts "lucky dog hot sauce" hobby batch of hot sauce... The ingredients are

Apple cider Vinegar
fire roasted jonahs
jalapeno peppers
roasted garlic
dried cayenne peppers
sea salt
cane sugar
carrots
onions
lime juice

scott was giving this hot sauce away for free on here for the cost of shipping which is pretty damn cool if you ask me but anyways on with the review..

Appearance- nice light orange color with alot of different solids including peppers, seeds, garlic maybe and onions.

Smell- immediate garlic smell followed by the vinegar, a nice pepper smell and maybe a hint of onion

Spoon appearance- runny, chunky not as thick as scotts pro hot sauce..

Taste- SPOONFUL 1- slight sweetness then on to the vinegar and galic followed by a wonderful pepper taste... not hot at all... maybe more jonahs or les jalapenos to make it a little hotter.. a little tongue burn but thats all more flavor that hot..

SPOONFUL 2- Pretty much the same as spoon #1 has nice sweetness to it with all the flavors hitting you.... got some carrot the third time was pretty good nice flavor contrast

not many things to say that can make THE UNLUCKY SQUIRREL better exempt maybe make it a little hotter....

Only one thing to say to scott... MAKE MORE AND SELL THEM ON YOU WEBSITE

Right on - glad it's getting to its destinations ok!
:cheers:

Appreciate the feedback - surprised you didn't find it hot at all - I think it's a touch hotter than my Orange label. I do agree on upping the Jonahs a bit - maybe 1/3 more superhot peppers, and 1/2 lb fewer Jalapenos.

Thanks for starting this topic - hopefully others will ring in here too - I'm excited to get feedback from all who've tried it as it'll help me to develop these ideas further.

The only real restriction on this one is the extreme cost of the Jonahs. Makes it very difficult to make a commercial sauce when that happens. Ghosts are probably the easiest to procure commercially, but I happen to dislike the flavor of them quite a lot. I will continue to search for commercially viable superhots.

Ps - the jalapenos were also fire-roasted, as was the garlic. :woohoo:

Ok my review, first I'll start by saying it has a very heavy roasted chili smell to it along with an undertone of vinegar. Its a heavier sauce and not runny at all. The garlic is an immediate flavor along with the chili. I got a hint of traditional buffalo wing sauce maybe from the dried cayenne right at the end, a very familiar taste that is always wonderful. Heat from the sauce is instant but not at all over whelming even to a non chili head. This is a great everyday sauce that could go on absolutely anything and make it a million times better. Overall I love the flavor, smell and consistency of the sauce. An absolute winner in my book, and would stock up on it if I could. There are sauces you buy from stores that are ok and mostly bland and just blah, but this is flavor in a bottle.

Wow, pretty bumbed i missed out on this. I've moved and just recently got my internet back on. Scott makes great sauce and to find out he's working on another is exciting. I sure hope you have some with you for NWCF Scott.

Ok my review, first I'll start by saying it has a very heavy roasted chili smell to it along with an undertone of vinegar. Its a heavier sauce and not runny at all. The garlic is an immediate flavor along with the chili. I got a hint of traditional buffalo wing sauce maybe from the dried cayenne right at the end, a very familiar taste that is always wonderful. Heat from the sauce is instant but not at all over whelming even to a non chili head. This is a great everyday sauce that could go on absolutely anything and make it a million times better. Overall I love the flavor, smell and consistency of the sauce. An absolute winner in my book, and would stock up on it if I could. There are sauces you buy from stores that are ok and mostly bland and just blah, but this is flavor in a bottle.
me and your reviews are about the same when i poured some spoonfuls it spilt all over my notebook i was writing the stuff down in as i was smelling it maybe i was a little clumsy...... yeah agree with you on the everyday sauce because its not too hot....i would also stock up on it if he makes more lol

Right on - glad it's getting to its destinations ok!

Appreciate the feedback - surprised you didn't find it hot at all - I think it's a touch hotter than my Orange label. I do agree on upping the Jonahs a bit - maybe 1/3 more superhot peppers, and 1/2 lb fewer Jalapenos.

Thanks for starting this topic - hopefully others will ring in here too - I'm excited to get feedback from all who've tried it as it'll help me to develop these ideas further.

The only real restriction on this one is the extreme cost of the Jonahs. Makes it very difficult to make a commercial sauce when that happens. Ghosts are probably the easiest to procure commercially, but I happen to dislike the flavor of them quite a lot. I will continue to search for commercially viable superhots.

Ps - the jalapenos were also fire-roasted, as was the garlic. :woohoo:
keep on looking for the commercial supers you make awesome sauce and you should make more....maybe you can make like 15 more bottles to sell on here i know i will buy them

No sir. No selling of hobby batches from a non-commercial kitchen.

Too much at stake - y'all are a pretty trustworthy crowd & thus very low risk in giving away a hobby batch, but the minute I sell anything out of my home it opens me up to way too much exposure, not the least of which being getting hit with tax evasion charges from my city (as I do not conduct business out of my home but have my address as my primary business addy, they already tried to threaten me - so they're well aware of my company & are watching)

From a business perspective it's also way too labor intensive - 8+ hours to make at most 40-50 bottles....I'd have to charge a fortune for it to be worth it.

That said, with good feedback I can develop this into a commercial recipe & make it in bulk at my mfgr, so thanks for taking the time to give me your notes on it!

Scott

I got mine tonight and poured it on a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich. I am going to try it a couple more times before giving a real albeit unofficial review, but first impression is: the flavor is awesome, it is complex, the roasting of the peppers rocks, and it needs a little more heat.

by the way, that's a placeholder name. Seemed more fun than calling it "prototype #174"
:rofl:

When I finalize the style/recipe my extra hot will (likely) be Yellow Label...something like this (a work in progress)

251853_10151069744855340_2071736983_n.jpg

Y'all get a special sneak preview. No time-frame on this sauce...
:D

It'll likely say "XTRA-HOT FIRE-ROASTED PEPPER SAUCE" at the bottom.

Will also do black for the net weight...too hard to read.

I tried it the other day on some Chile my son made, which helped it immensely. (Long story there....)

Tried it just now on salmon cream cheese sushi roll, both on its own and with wasabi. NICE!
I like the heat level of this. While I personally can go a lot hotter, this is more for general eating, which means I can also share it with family and friends and not be hated. It's still got a bite, but it's not something that would overwhelm the average eater.

Part of what I like about this sauce, too, is that the vinegar is not predominant at all - I am not a big vinegar fan, so don't usually go for sauces. Using a combo of the lime with the vinegar for pH purposes was a good choice, IMO. I also like the consistency of this sauce - not runny, but also not so thick you can't get it out of the bottle. Great pepper flavor mixed with garlic, just a bit of tang from the vinegar and lime. A good everyday choice.

Mine's still sitting in the pantry. Trying to finish off Hot Pooper's sauce before I crack this open. I'm a bit anal retentive about opening stuff before I've finished off the same/similar product that's already open. I'll do a brief video review of it and post it.

I like the Label! Can you make the yellow a little brighter?
It's hard to tell tho because what I am looking at now is different that what will actually end up on the bottle.
You have that shiny text on your labels which is a very nice touch.
The yellow is awesome, just make sure it's LOUD!

I can't wait to taste it, the mail is slower than Michael Phelps in a dry pool.

Yeah - I am hoping the LDHS Yellow is BRIGHT ass the sun - talking "DANGER COLORS!!!" - which of course means the sauce needs to be hot enough to justify that.

Hard to know what it will look like though as the metalized foil label tends to mute the colors a bit. So what I am considering is "blocking" the entire sunburst (e.g. putting white down behind it) and having only the horseshoe reflective on this one.

Also since it's going to be pretty darn hot I'm considering doing something amusing, like instead of "FOOD'S BEST FRIEND" (my trademarked slogan) using a strikethrough and having "FOOD'S BEST FRIEND" - I'm just not sure everyone will get the joke. :(

Hm. If you kept "unlucky squirrel) and If you have a way to make the "food's best friend" big enough, and instead of a simple line, use tire tracks, it could work. Otherwise, it comes across as either a typo, or you're saying it's not so good.

Back