• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster 2018

I'm focusing this year on peppers I eat every day, and peppers I use for my sauces. Usually I grow a good 20+ varieties, but this year I am sticking to only 6. I am growing 8+ plants of many of these varieties, so it will still be a pretty packed garden. One omission that might be noticed is aji amarillo. I absolutely love aji amarillo, but I still have 4 full gallon bags of aji amarillo pods from last year in my freezer. That will last me through 2019.

My list is as follows:

Peruvian Red Rocoto-These are great for stuffing, fresh sauces, fermented sauces, kebabs, etc. A classic Peruvian pepper, that is very productive in my area. So many of my South American friends ask me if I have any for sale or trade in the Summer, that I doubled the plants this year. 8 plants will be going in 10 gallon pots.

Aji Limo-I cook with this Capsicum Chinense almost every day. It is in my opinion, the ultimate pepper to provide flavor and heat to any fish/seafood dish, plus it's amazing with chicken. This is THE pepper used in Peruvian ceviche, which is my all time favorite food. I use this for just about everything. I'm growing out some seeds from the aji limo plants I grow every single year, but also growing out some seeds from a pack a friend of mine brought me from Peru this January. 9 plants will be going in 7 gallon pots next week.

Peach Bhut Jolokia-Great building heat, great non floral flavor. This is the one pepper in the 800K SHU+ category that I really enjoy cooking with. I am growing out extra plants this year for my passion fruit and guava ghost sauce. Super prolific plant, and an early bloomer, compared to many of the other peppers in it's category. 8 plants going in 7 gallon pots next week.

Aji Largo-Based on taste tests with many seasoned chile heads in my area, out of about 15 different Pubescens cultivars last year, Aji Largo was universally chosen as the best for flavor. The plants get absolutely massive, even for a Pubescens, and need to be staked well to support all of the pods. The pods aren't ideal for stuffing, but are insanely juicy, and have a sweet almost persimmon like flavor. One healthy plant usually gives me a good 80+ pods in a season. Since I am using most of these aji largo pods for bottled sauce, I will be putting 5 plants in 7 gallon pots next week.

P. Dreadie Scotch Bonnet-This will be my second year growing this variety, and I was really pleased with the heat and flavor of the pods I grew last year. I plan on tinkering wih these pods in the kitchen with dishes, and in sauces this Summer. 2 plants going in 10 gallon pots next week.

Mini Red Rocoto-There isn't much to say here except, "wouldn't it be nice to have the same flavor and heat of a rocoto, without it being the size of an apple?". This is a great variety to quickly kick up the heat on a salad, pickle, and generally snack on. It's a bite sized rocoto for pete's sake! 2 plants going in 10 gallon pots next week.

I'm also growing some veggies as always:

Ping Tung Eggplant
Japanese Eggplant
Rosa Bianca Eggplant
Black Egg Eggplant
Black Beauty Eggplant
Tomatillo
Okra
San Marzano Tomato
Costeluno Gemovese Tomato
Beefsteak Tomato
Mortgage Lifter Tomato
Brandywine Tomato

Herbs:
Quilquiña
Huacatay
Culantro/Shado Beni
Oregano
Sweet Basil
Lemon Thyme
Rosemary

Pics coming next week while transplanting outside.

Malarky said:
Hey Dale, my aji oro, giant red, and peruvian red all fork about 6 inches above the soil and grow completely horizontally from that point.
How do you get your plants to grow vertically?
Once my Pubes fork the second time, off of the main fork, I just clip the ends off of those forks. That sends new shoots from every node, usually upwards. It doesn't work perfectly for aji oro, though. That plant loves to grow out, instead of up.

I wouldn't necessarily try doing this now, though, because rocoto plants have a longer lag between pruning, than other pepper varieties. I pruned these ones about a month a go, when they were still in solo cups.

I grabbed a few pod pics while doing yardwork today. Everything is coming along quite nicely. I'm not going to post multiples of the same variety, since I have 7+ plants of certain cultivars.

Here is one of 7 Peach Bhuts. The canopy is spreading out well, with quite a few pods.

Attachments

• 20180624_204939.jpg
    20180624_204939.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 73
Really good looking plants!

Are Rocottos always so very slow , from germination right through to fruiting?
I germinated a couple with some Annuums and I just check them for life twice a week. Real slow! Lagging far behind.

karoo said:
Really good looking plants!

Are Rocottos always so very slow , from germination right through to fruiting?
I germinated a couple with some Annuums and I just check them for life twice a week. Real slow! Lagging far behind.
Rocotos do take longer to germinate, and don't explode with growth right away as a seedling. The plants can get absolutely massive relatively quickly though, once they are happy in their environment.

Chilidude said:

I think i had only one c. baccatum plant in one year that had a bitter taste i did not like, so most likely the mystery c.baccatum will turn up to be pretty tasty.

It's looking like the mystery Baccatum will end up being a aji amarillo, based on the pods that are growing. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I already have a several gallon ziplocs full of aji amarillo pods from last season in my freezer.

I figured it would end up being aji amarillo, since the seed pack was purchased in Peru, from a commercial seed vendor, who also sells aji amarillo seed packs.

Good thing I love aji amarillo, because now I have a surprise 7 aji amarillo plants in 10 gallon pots this season.

So, mimosa in a can? I dunno if I could trust a beer I couldn't see through...Then again, I'm more of a T'killya guy....and no, won't drink that if I can't see through it either! :drunk:

Thegreenchilemonster said:
New England IPA. Sensei DDH from Aslin beer company. We like our IPAs super hoppy, and super hazy, here in the NE

Heh heh, I was shinin' ya, Dale, but you know, somebody had to play comedic relief.... :party:

I had a customer in AZ who made his own dark, chewy beer. It was good, but I never took one without asking for a fork.

One of my all time favorites is a local heritage lager called Nordeast. I do like the hoppy beers, as long as the alcohol content isn't in jeopardy!!

stettoman said:

Heh heh, I was shinin' ya, Dale, but you know, somebody had to play comedic relief.... :party:

I had a customer in AZ who made his own dark, chewy beer. It was good, but I never took one without asking for a fork.

One of my all time favorites is a local heritage lager called Nordeast. I do like the hoppy beers, as long as the alcohol content isn't in jeopardy!!
The alcohol isn't in jeapordy on that one. It's a Triple IPA, at 11.1%!

Thegreenchilemonster said:
A nice quick picking from the garden. Some veggies, and numex big jims. Everything is coming along well this year!

Gorgeous shot!  What's the variety on the baby eggplants?  Looks like they did well in containers.  It appears I'm headed in the container direction for future gardens and am scouting out the best varieties for container growing.

Back