• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting TheGreenChileMonster Ferments Some Sauce

Last November, right before a frost, I pulled all of the rocoto pods off of my plants. I then made a mash with rocoto pods and salt only.

Attachments

• 20171019_092446.jpg
    20171019_092446.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 20171019_092504.jpg
    20171019_092504.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 20171019_092547.jpg
    20171019_092547.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 131
It came out fantastic. I cooked it down, til it was nice and thick. I got 6 woozies out of all of that. I only had to add two tablespoons of vinegar to hit 3.4 PH, due to all of the citrus.
It has a massive kick, with a fantastic fruit backbone.

Hey TGCM, these sauces sound fantastic and I saw the review video linked earlier.  On the note of double fermenting or staggered fermenting I really like the idea and it sounds like all upside and no real downside.  It sounds like you could ferment each pepper type in its own ferment and mix and match them together as "building blocks" in a recipe as needed.  I have a couple questions:

Do you have to add kimchi starter when you do the 2nd ferment for the 30-60 day period or will it ferment anyway?
Do you find that a blended pepper mash is more workable or having many different single pepper mashes?  
Do you find that addition of some form of sugar is necessary in the 2nd ferment?
For bottling, do you find that cooking the sauce radically changes the flavor?

Thanks in advance,
     Glen

Tomsawyer said:
Hey TGCM, these sauces sound fantastic and I saw the review video linked earlier.  On the note of double fermenting or staggered fermenting I really like the idea and it sounds like all upside and no real downside.  It sounds like you could ferment each pepper type in its own ferment and mix and match them together as "building blocks" in a recipe as needed.  I have a couple questions:

Do you have to add kimchi starter when you do the 2nd ferment for the 30-60 day period or will it ferment anyway?
Do you find that a blended pepper mash is more workable or having many different single pepper mashes?  
Do you find that addition of some form of sugar is necessary in the 2nd ferment?
For bottling, do you find that cooking the sauce radically changes the flavor?

Thanks in advance,
     Glen
Hi Glen, thanks for checking out my sauce log.

I don't use a kimchi starter in my second ferment, due to all of the residual lacto that is still residing in the original mash.

For me, I just prefer a blended pepper mash with salt only, versus a brine. No particular reason, aside from not having to deal with any weights on the top to keep the mash down, plus never having to deal with any infections/nasties.

There usually is sugar in the ingredients I add to the second ferment, such as fruit. I do also sometimes add maple syrup, sugar, and other sweet things to compliment the flavor.

Thr flavor, and especially aroma can change a bit cooking the sauce, especially by kicking off some of the aroma of the sauce from any fruit or herbs added. It's worth it to me though, since I gift a good amount of sauce to friends and family.

I just prepped a secondary fermentation sauce. I used a 6 month old mash, plus added yellow mangos, garlic, strawberry pulp, a handful of blueberries, and 2 heads of garlic, and an onion.

I'll probably let this ferment for another week or so, before tasting, and adjusting to PH for bottling.

Attachments

• 20180515_175228.jpg
    20180515_175228.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20180515_181909.jpg
    20180515_181909.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 56
Do you have a market down there that sells the cashew apples?  I have never seen them before. 

But then, in my immediate area, we have kiwi as our staple exotic fare with the occasional starfruit sidling up to the Gala apples.

cone9 said:
Do you have a market down there that sells the cashew apples?  I have never seen them before. 

But then, in my immediate area, we have kiwi as our staple exotic fare with the occasional starfruit sidling up to the Gala apples.
Yeah, the market by my house carries cashew aples frozen year round.

They sell just about any fruit you can think of, or have never heard of fresh as well. Rambutans, durians, dragon fruit, jack fruit, longans, etc. aren't even exotic there. They are available fresh year round, like apples and oranges are in a standard American grocery store. Last time I was there, I counted 9 different varieties of fresh pears they had for sale. I didn't even know there were that many pear varieties!

I run into stuff there all the time in the produce area that I have never even seen, or heard of. My wife is vietnamese, so she usually knows what some of the more rare exotic seasonal fruits and veggies they have there, but sometimes she has never seen them either.

I happen to live in an area that is a complete melting pot of people from all over world, so the international market has to cater their global diaspora of clientele.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Yeah, the market by my house carries cashew aples frozen year round.

They sell just about any fruit you can think of, or have never heard of fresh as well. Rambutans, durians, dragon fruit, jack fruit, longans, etc.
                             You have no idea how much I envy that!
aren't even exotic there. They are available fresh year round, like apples and oranges are in a standard American grocery store. Last time I was there, I counted 9 different varieties of fresh pears they had for sale. I didn't even know there were that many pear varieties!
                                                                                So you know, Dale, you sound just all the non-pepperheads we talk to about our peppers!

I run into stuff there all the time in the produce area that I have never even seen, or heard of. My wife is vietnamese, so she usually knows what some of the more rare exotic seasonal fruits and veggies they have there, but sometimes she has never seen them either.

I happen to live in an area that is a complete melting pot of people from all over world, so the international market has to cater their global diaspora of clientele.
Southern Florida would probably suit me fine for all the exotic fruits I could grow except for the summer heat - 98 degrees and 367 % humidity wears on me a bit!

cone9 said:
Southern Florida would probably suit me fine for all the exotic fruits I could grow except for the summer heat - 98 degrees and 367 % humidity wears on me a bit!
If you have weather like that, then I can send you seeds for some fruit that I can't grow here. A buddy of mine brough me a bunch of pepper seeds, herbs seeds, and fruit seeds back from Peru earlier this year. I don't remember what fruit they are, but they are ones that are common in Peru. I'll check on what fruit seeds I've got when I get home from work today.

No Dale, I'm in NE Ohio! I meant I'd like all the things I could grow in FL but I'd not be so fond of that heat.

Thanks for the offer though, I wish I could make use of those.

cone9 said:
No Dale, I'm in NE Ohio! I meant I'd like all the things I could grow in FL but I'd not be so fond of that heat.

Thanks for the offer though, I wish I could make use of those.
Oh, I gotcha. I misread that. I was about to prep some of these seeds for you. I've grown all of them, except the Guayaba. There is basically no point of growing it here in NOVA.

Attachments

• 20180517_193542.jpg
    20180517_193542.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 55
I've heard of Huacatay, but I'll have to google the other three.  That was a cool gift.

I got the assortment of Venezuelan peppers from Lindberg a couple years back and have enjoyed growing some unique varieties new to N America.

cone9 said:
I've heard of Huacatay, but I'll have to google the other three.  That was a cool gift.

I got the assortment of Venezuelan peppers from Lindberg a couple years back and have enjoyed growing some unique varieties new to N America.
I sent some seeds your way during the Pubescens giveaway, no? Sorry if I don't have records of that, but I sent out a ridiculous amount of seeds.

If not, I'll get some seeds going your way anyway for some South American peppers and herbs that you should check out.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I sent some seeds your way during the Pubescens giveaway, no? Sorry if I don't have records of that, but I sent out a ridiculous amount of seeds.
Yes, you did.  I am making a push with my grow this year to find one, or hopefully more, pubes that will produce well for me.  This year I have ten growing.

If not, I'll get some seeds going your way anyway for some South American peppers and herbs that you should check out.
Thanks, Dale.  I appreciate that.  Do you still have my address?  As before, please ask if there is anything you see I have that you would like.

Sorry I did not respond sooner.  I just saw this.  It has been a difficult weekend.  We found out Thursday that our dog has a nasty cancer and will likely not live very long.  I am not dealing with it with much grace.

Back