• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2016 Grow

Well, I finally decided to start a Glog.  I have quite a few plants that ore OW from last year, and some new ones that I started this January.  Here is the list, lots of pics to follow, I'm still in the process of planting out.  Most everything is going into root pouches, and pots, but I do have 9 total rocoto plants in the ground as well.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Limo
Aji Pineapple
Aji Pacay
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Lemon Drop
Aji Fantasy Yellow
Peruvian Red Rocoto
Giant Peruvian Red Rocoto (Miraflores Market)
Rocoto Cusco
Mini Rocoto
Brown Rocoto
Orange Rocoto
Rocoto Peron
Rocoto Montufar
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
Aji Oro (Rocoto)
Aji Largo (Rocoto)
Rocoto Arequipeno
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Guatemalan Orange Rocoto
Ecuadorian Red Rocoto
Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto
Peru Bitdumi
Chocolate Bhutlah
Chocolate Brainstrain
Pipi De Mono
Aribibi Gusano
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Carolina Reaper
Peach Scorpion
Peach Ghost Scorpion
White Fatalli
Bolsa De Dulce
Tepin x Lemon Drop
PDN x Bhut (Ripens Cream)
Coyote Zan White
Red Primo

Bhuter said:
Man, I'm super-jealous! Every one of your plants look great! And they're ripening, too (lucky lol). Fantastic all around job!

-Adam
Thanks! Waiting for them to ripen can be brutal sometimes. My dehydrator is already running 24 hours a day from all of the pods. I have set up one of our guest bedrooms to accomodate, and filter out the fumes from all of the hot pods drying out. My wife hasn't complained once so far this year about the fumes!

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Thanks! I'm planning on making some rocoto jelly with some of them. I saw that you made some marmalade that looked really good. Have you ever made pepper jelly? I saw a recipe here on THP for rocoto jelly that I was thinking of trying out.

No, I haven't ventured into jelly making yet. Is it much different from marmalade? I find that marmalade has a very jelly like texture, but with tiny bits of fruit.

Comptine said:

No, I haven't ventured into jelly making yet. Is it much different from marmalade? I find that marmalade has a very jelly like texture, but with tiny bits of fruit.
I like marmalade too, but I'm doing smooth jelly, mainly because my wife isn't a fan of chunky jelly/marmalade. I'm going to be following this recipe.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58085-red-rocoto-jelly/?fromsearch=1

It looks like it should be really tasty.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Nice collection of Aji peppers. Im really interested in growing more next year, especially the Amarillo, Pineapple and Dulce.
Thanks!

Aji Amarillo is a staple of my garden and kitchen. Absolutely loaded with flavor. I would highly recommend growing it. You have to start it early, like January/February to get a good harvest. My aji amarillo plants are OW, and are pumping out ridiculous amounts of pods this year.

The aji pineapple and lemon drop are basically the same pepper based on my experience. Both of my plants are OW from last year.

This is my first year growing this cultivar of aji dulce. I got the seeds straight from Peru, and I am getting two different phenos. Both phenos are very productive. It seems like the round one will be great for stuffing. I'll figure out which pheno has the best flavor, and OW that one for next year.

chileplants has at least 2 Dulces. One is a yellow. I want to use them as a base for a hot sauce then start adding habs until i get to the heat level i want.

I heard the Amarillo needs a long season. Thats why i chose the lemon drop. Ive got tons of green pods atm. I hoping to OW one of them. I only got 2 ripe sofar but once they started turning it only took a couple days

ShowMeDaSauce said:
chileplants has at least 2 Dulces. One is a yellow. I want to use them as a base for a hot sauce then start adding habs until i get to the heat level i want.

I heard the Amarillo needs a long season. Thats why i chose the lemon drop. Ive got tons of green pods atm. I hoping to OW one of them. I only got 2 ripe sofar but once they started turning it only took a couple days
The aji dulce I am growing is a Chinense, and the pods are pretty big. It looks very different than the Puerto Rican aji dulce I'm used to seeing. The pods are starting to ripen, so I'll see what the final ripe color of them is.

Lemon drop/pineapple is a good baccatum to grow, because they are tasty, low maintenance, and very prolific. Some people say they get a soapy flavor from them, but I've never tasted that.

The aji dulce I am growing is a Chinense,

That is my understanding too. Im assuming they would compliment a habanero or even a scotch bonnet sauce very well. More Chinense flavor without adding additional heat.

So far im very happy with the flavor of the lemon drops. One reviewer said the pineapple is less prone to the "soapy taste" than the lemon drop. IIRC i think it was Nigel. Ive only had them once before. I bought some at a specialty market and made them into sauce.....Thats all it took to get me hooked on the baccatum flavor. Perfect heat level for me to use in larger amounts.

Really impressive grow! You're relatively new around here, but it's obvious that you've been successful at growing peppers for quite a while!  :cheers:
     And thanks for linking to wayright's jelly recipe. I should have plenty of Peru bitdumis to try it out on this fall.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Really impressive grow! You're relatively new around here, but it's obvious that you've been successful at growing peppers for quite a while!  :cheers:
     And thanks for linking to wayright's jelly recipe. I should have plenty of Peru bitdumis to try it out on this fall.
Thanks! That recipe looks really good, I can't wait to try it out. As long as it comes out well, I might make both a yellow and red version, with the yellow and red rocoto. It seems like it's necessary to completely deseed every rocoto, otherwise there would be little black seed fragments in the jelly.

Thanks! That recipe looks really good, I can't wait to try it out. As long as it comes out well, I might make both a yellow and red version, with the yellow and red rocoto. It seems like it's necessary to completely deseed every rocoto, otherwise there would be little black seed fragments in the jelly.

I always halve, seed and freeze the pods I intend to use for jelly. Jalapeños, pubes, superhots etc... It really simplifies things on jelly-making day. All you have to do then is pull them out of the freezer, weigh them and start cooking. Once they thaw in the sugar/vinegar mix, it's really easy to give them a once over with the immersion blender until they reach the right consistency. 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I always halve, seed and freeze the pods I intend to use for jelly. Jalapeños, pubes, superhots etc... It really simplifies things on jelly-making day. All you have to do then is pull them out of the freezer, weigh them and start cooking. Once they thaw in the sugar/vinegar mix, it's really easy to give them a once over with the immersion blender until they reach the right consistency. 
Awesome, thanks for the tip! Is it best to use them frozen first, or fresh when making jelly?

Awesome, thanks for the tip! Is it best to use them frozen first, or fresh when making jelly?

It doesn't make a huge difference. They blend a bit easier after they've been frozen, but my main reason is just convenience. Making jelly when it's in the 90s outside sucks. I'd much rather do it when it's cool outside so the cooking jelly adds some desired warmth and humidity to the house.

Regulus said:

juice full of fire, thumbs up! 
Yes sir! I made that rocoto saison not too spicy, but it has a great rocoto aroma and flavor to compliment the esthery Wyeast 3711 yeast. I have a braggot/saison that is still in primary fermentation right now that will be spicy. I dropped 2 sliced up aji limo into the wort as soon as I pitched the WLP565, then once the initial vigorous fermentation slowed down 3 days later, I dropped in 4 sliced up rocoto. It will be 6 gallons total of brew once done, and it will have a very nice kick from the peppers. I'm going to dry hop it with Mandarina Bavaria,then bottle condition it.

Yes sir! I made that rocoto saison not too spicy, but it has a great rocoto aroma and flavor to compliment the esthery Wyeast 3711 yeast. I have a braggot/saison that is still in primary fermentation right now that will be spicy. I dropped 2 sliced up aji limo into the wort as soon as I pitched the WLP565, then once the initial vigorous fermentation slowed down 3 days later, I dropped in 4 sliced up rocoto. It will be 6 gallons total of brew once done, and it will have a very nice kick from the peppers. I'm going to dry hop it with Mandarina Bavaria,then bottle condition it.

It looks awesome, let us know how it turns out and describe the taste.

Back