• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Think they will survive?

I am moving into an apartment so I had to take some plants from the earth and put them in pots, they suffered alot of root damage. The leaves are pretty droopy. Sure hope I didnt kill them. They are red rocoto and habalokia.. What do you think they're shot at surviving is?

lPuwG.jpg

EPOUJ.jpg

I am no expert, but I think they might have a better chance if you cut them back a bit. I don't know how much, but you can experiment with some of the less-important ones. Good luck Ryan.

i would only give them a little direct sunlight and try crushing up an aspirin tablet and mixing that in a gallon of water and see if that helps, then in the cool evening the "holy water" treatment - a fine mist of epsom salt.

good luck.

the advice given is good stuff! the 3 plants i did transplant i left out of direct sunlight for 4-5 days then slowly moved them back to full sun over 3 more days and not once since doing this method have i had any losses, and i have done it with a plant that had 20+ pods on it and did not loose a pod! good luck and hope they make it!

Eric

From the pics they don't look that bad, a bit of transplant shock. Unlike the others, I wouldn't recommend using anything but a little bit of water on these - but no fertilizers/suplements. I would also put them in shade or at least out of direct sunlight for a couple of days and spray them with a myster regularly. The idea about cutting them back isn't bad either, you've got less roots to support the same amount of "plant" - but as said, you can temporarily help the plant by reducing evaporation (shade) and mysting.

Hope they do well... :)

EDIT: oh, and just on a separate note, I would remove the leaves that are touching the soil - that can only cause problems in the long run...

You could also use a liquid product for transplant shock or perhaps a root stimulating solution, the soil in the photos look a little dried out, I'd soak them pretty good .....and leave them in a shady area until you see the branches and leaves stretching for light, then move them to partial/sun so-on......Good luck

Hey Ryan. Glad I came across this :) Judging by your pictures your plants are in sure shock. Mine looked the same. I did the same thing to my inground plants when I was living at my moms house a while back when I needed to move.. half came back to life, the other half lost all there leaves.. Which I've heard is okay but I never got the end result.. I moved out, they didn't get watered... Dried up.. Overwintering didn't work due to lack of attention. Either way dude, I feel for ya.. I'd hate to take all my plants into an apartment.. Especially after seeing them look as healthy as yours do. Nice plants on a positive note! Good luck to you. keep us posted :D
:cheers:
Brandon

I second the coment on pruning them back. By losing some of the roots the plant has less of a supply network to meet the demand of the leaves. After cutting back with less leaves to support, the whole plant won't have to work as hard and won't get as stressed.

Generally speaking, you would reduce the canopy size by the same percentage that the root system reduced. Granted, all the roots are underground and it's hard to know exactly how much the root system was reduced. A good guess should be close enough.

I did the same thing a couple weeks ago to obtain one in a bucket for a good friend and simply pruned to the first node after the last pepper on most branches. It was loaded. Had some pods loss but not much and he is enjoying them. Have a branch with a pod hanging on the very end al over the plant also looks trippy to me.

Awesome thanks guys! I pruned off all the leaves touching the dirt, and just gave them a foliar feeding. They are looking much better!!!

I would remove ALL the leaves and cut back the shoots a lot. Then pickup some superthrive and use that every watering for a month to help re-stablish new roots.

Back