• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Think you know Wasabi?

Common knowlwdge, green dyed horseradish. And hate to burst your bubble but the crab is not crab. I don't eat that ginger crap either it comes in a bag with dyes and preservatives.

The Hot Pepper said:
Common knowlwdge, green dyed horseradish. And hate to burst your bubble but the crab is not crab.

I never got into sushi or wasabi so it was new to me. Im picky about my crab. i make homemade crab cakes because the grocery stores around here sell the fake stuff. Even the really good Hawaiian place down the street uses fake crab in their crab dishes.  I like Maryland crab. 

Yeah, real Wasabi is very difficult to grow, even in ideal conditions and there aren't but a few regions in Japan that are ideal. It will never be a mass produced crop like corn.

Krab. meh.

Yep. 99% of what is served as wasabi is dyed horseradish.

But don't get started on krab.vs.real crab....which is Dungeness...
PS...Dude worked in surimi processing plants doing electrical work. Won't tough that stuff for nuthin'.

Don't get SL started on Coke is soda. :lol:

:lol: Coke is a pop or a soda...or even a soda pop....

Just don't order a coke and then say "rootbeer". :rolleyes:

:lol: Boss, don't hijack the thread. ;)

Coke is coke. It doesn't make sense when a customer ordered a coke, the waitress asks "what flavor" and the customer says "root beer" or "orange". Or the best..."Pepsi"....
Old topic... Somewhere...

salsalady said:
Coke is coke. It doesn't make sense when a customer ordered a coke, the waitress asks "what flavor" and the customer says "root beer" or "orange". Or the best..."Pepsi"....Old topic... Somewhere...
Phew!! You guys were ruining everything for me. I had to draw the line with Coke.

salsalady said:
Coke is coke. It doesn't make sense when a customer ordered a coke, the waitress asks "what flavor" and the customer says "root beer" or "orange". Or the best..."Pepsi"....
Old topic... Somewhere...
Its a Texas thing from what I can gather.

salsalady said:

If someone asked me what flavour coke I wanted I'd think they were having a laugh. "Pepsi" is, therefore, the obvious retort.
That or Reaper, Reaper soft drinks are lovely.

I was actually talking to GIP about this the other day in chat, and I am going to build a terrarium and see if I can replicate the wasabi beds in Asia with lighting, temps, humidity, watering, nutes, etc.  

There are a few places that you can buy quickly dehydrated wasabi, add water and you have the real thing.    It is about 30 dollars per 3 oz Jar though.  

I think this is going to be my next indoor grow.    GIP asked me why i would be willing to do this, and I guess it would be simply for the challenge.  

When I first started gardening, it was a challenge to figure everything out, and while I am still learning everyday, it is certainly less of a challenge than it used to be.   

Scoville DeVille said:
Yeah, real Wasabi is very difficult to grow, even in ideal conditions and there aren't but a few regions in Japan that are ideal. It will never be a mass produced crop like corn.

Krab. meh.
I have heard there are a few places is West Va that can grow it but other than that.....damn near impossible crop!

I think I might have had it once. Fancy restaurant, graded at table.  Went into my mouth, but felt like it went up my nose.  Weirdest burn ever, gone very fast and I could breathe like never before.  Had fresh horseradish from a friends garden before that,did not seem the same but even fresh horse radish kicks store bought left and right.

Back