• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

This is a little crazy but.....

I am growing a bunch of different varieties of pepper that I intend to pressure can as they come into the season.  While most folks seem to seek the perfectly pickled crispy pepper, I am looking for a reliable way to allow them to soften a bit so they aren't such a toothy crunch.  I eat a whole lot of pepperoncini ( I buy them by the gallon) and I find that I really prefer them just a bit softer than the hard crunch.   Any suggestions to wilt them down a bit before pickling and canning would be greatly appreciated.

Wheelchair Bob

Thanks Phil, I wasn't sure if canning them that way would lessen the crunch a bit or not.  I really do like them a little soft and more chewy.  That way I am not fighting getting it crunched up along with trying to enjoy the taste.  I have been know to pick through the gallon jar and get a few softer ones from time to time too.

WCB

Just for the sake of conversation, I have done cold pickled pepperoncinis before, using no heat at all, and once the vinegar penetrates all the way through the pepper, it breaks it down enough to be similar to the ones you get with Papa John's pizza, as far as bite goes.

Pressure canning will soften them up quite a bit, probably to the level you are looking for.  Freezing will = mush....yea...not quite the same......

Cold packing and keeping refrigerated will yield the crispiest chiles.  Boiling water bath will be a bit softer.  And pressure canning will soften the chiles the most outside of just throwing the chiles in a pot and cooking them to desired consistency. 

I use the Ball book recommendation for pressure and time.  I dont remember what it is, but I do know most sweet peppers turn to absolute much.  Have only ever done whole hot peppers in vinegar with water bath.  Even with water bath, they still loose some texture.  Maybe I am doing something wrong with the pressure canning.  Maybe being too safe by following the ball book.  But it winds up tasty but no texture.

Back